Don't underestimate old guy strength

I'm not that old. Only 36. But my fitness has definitely fallen off a bit in the last few years.

That being said, I still do the "Murph" workout every year. I've been getting gradually slower since my peak at about age 31.

Well, this young guy (23) that works for me started talking some friendly trash about beating me at Murph, and called me old. He's never done Murph before, and he's not a real impressive specimen, but he does some running and lifting a few days a week.

Anyways, I went with it. I agreed with him that I'm getting old and I've lost a step in my old age. I told him that he should come over this year and do Murph with us, even though he'd probably beat me. Then I started training with an extra fire that I haven't had in a while. It's been fun to have some extra motivation, and push myself a little harder, and I think there's a chance that I get a fair bit faster this year.

Anyways, that kid doesn't know the fire he lit, and he won't till memorial day. He keeps talking smack at work, and I just smile and agree with him.

OP
Lil-Rokslider
57 and can still get under an hour, but no extra weight.
I hope I'm saying the same at 57. '21 and '22 I wore a vest and got 52 and 54 minutes. Last year was 50 minutes without a vest. Haven't decided which route I'm going this year yet. I've been training with the vest recently, but might ditch it on the day. 5 years ago without a vest I was low 40 minute range, but that feels untouchable now.

In high school my dad came into the weight room one day to see what I was up to and to pick my sister up from school. I was training for football and had just benched 275 for a couple of reps.

Dad hadn’t lifted in a loooong time.
He repped it 10 times, but 315 on and repped it 8. Walked away like it was nothing. Only thing he said was “don’t forget I can always whip your ass”

He was 43

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk