Don't dry fire your bow they said. It'll mess up your cams they said.. well....

Sorry, don’t mean to derail your thread, but a funny story about dry firing a bow.

Was at my in-laws a couple years ago for a family get together and my brother in law decides he wants to draw my father in laws new Hoyt Rwx with the release (my brother in law is not a bow hunter and father in law was a dumb ass for letting him) anyways, he pulls back, comes to full draw and accidentally hits the trigger, the peep comes out of the string and drills my wife’s cousin, who is sitting on the other side of the room, right in the middle of the forehead. He yelled OUCH! and covered his forehead with his hand and we were all wondering what the hell just happened. Then we saw the blood running down his head/nose and the peep laying on the carpet and he had about a 1/2” gash in his head right above his nose. He went and cleaned it up put a couple steri strips and some super glue on it and came back laughing. Luckily there was no damage done the the bow other than having to tie the peep back in and luckily there was no serious injury. My FIL was not to happy and my BIL felt like an idiot and I was laughing my ass off! What could’ve been a bad ordeal turned out to be a funny story I’ll never forget. Moral of the story, don’t let your buddies draw your bow just to see if they can.

Did the same thing two years ago. Got tired after a long day. Forgot to nock an arrow at the range. Destroyed both cams. Fuxking sucks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it happened to me too yesterday. A week before season. I was fine tuning My Pro Defiant with a bare shaft and fired with a bare bow :oops: The good news is I have my PowerMax as a back up. The other bad news is, now I don't have a back up.
KIMG0135.JPG
The good news is....... I shot the PowerMax today 20 30 40 50 60
KIMG0134.JPG
The really good news is, in a panic yesterday, I talked myself into a brand new Helix and it is supposed to be here Thursday.😁
The other sort of good news is the only damage to the Pro Defiant were strings and cables, the plastic axle spacer on the bottom cam and the circlip that holds the axle on. Everything else is fine......................................................except my pride.

I’m just glad there are still people man enough to admit dumb things like this so the rest of us don’t have to carry around the burden of having done the same thing without admitting to it. Thank you sir - hopefully your season doesn’t get derailed because it!

Wait wait wait. So just forgetting to nock an arrow is a common thing?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Like others have said not common but not unheard of. I'll add my name to the list of people that have done it. Was focusing so much on everything else while adjusting my sights that I simply forgot to knock an arrow. Scared the bejesus out myself and everyone around me at the pro shop range.

Pro shop tech said it was most common among target shooters and wasnt fazed at all when I showed him my bow. Luckily for me it was a low poundage bow for indoor and didnt cause any damage what so ever.

Last edited:
I’m just glad there are still people man enough to admit dumb things like this so the rest of us don’t have to carry around the burden of having done the same thing without admitting to it. Thank you sir - hopefully your season doesn’t get derailed because it!

More than happy to admit my dumb mistakes, lol. None of us are perfect and these things happen.

I did it a few weeks ago and was lucky it was just the string. My bow guy said that it happens a lot - including to him. It did convince me to get another bow as a backup - not necessarily because I will dry fire again, but because on a big trip there are things that can happen. Still waiting on my new "backup" bow to arrive....

Good luck with yours!

I set my bow in a soft case in the back of my truck with the dog. During the ride he stepped on it and must have pushed the rear stab close to the string. When I drew back I felt something strange and let down a little but nothing looked off from my view. After coming to full draw and settling the pin I let the arrow fly. That was a mistake and I'm lucky to have no carbon in the arm and not destroy the bow. That stab kicked the arrow into the riser and broke it just in front of the wrap. The strings were destroyed and one arrow lost but I count myself lucky. Now the dog doesn't ride with the bow unless it's in a hard case.

I set my bow in a soft case in the back of my truck with the dog. During the ride he stepped on it and must have pushed the rear stab close to the string. When I drew back I felt something strange and let down a little but nothing looked off from my view. After coming to full draw and settling the pin I let the arrow fly. That was a mistake and I'm lucky to have no carbon in the arm and not destroy the bow. That stab kicked the arrow into the riser and broke it just in front of the wrap. The strings were destroyed and one arrow lost but I count myself lucky. Now the dog doesn't ride with the bow unless it's in a hard case.

Thats nuts.

Glad that people can admit to doing dumb things.
Me, I've never done that. Ok maybe a guy next to me on the shooting
line at a tournament told me to let down over and over until I finally did.
yep no arrow.

I've been there too. Twice, though no damage either time. Lost a peep the first time (it hit me in the head and left a small cut) but nothing at all the second time.

It will happen to nearly everyone if you shoot long enough.

Glad I’m not the only dumbass. This happened to me yesterday. 2014 Hoyt carbon Spyder 34 and it broke the string. I don’t have a backup and my Deer season starts in a week. I doubt my local shops will have the time to get it back up running before sep 2.

Glad I’m not the only dumbass. This happened to me yesterday. 2014 Hoyt carbon Spyder 34 and it broke the string. I don’t have a backup and my Deer season starts in a week. I doubt my local shops will have the time to get it back up running before sep 2.

they could if properly motivated. or if you were properly motivated you could buy a new/used bow. where there's a will, there's a way.

I was out of town one weekend when I was in college and one of my buddies came over to hang out with my roommates. He decided to screw around with my bow and dropped the sting while pulling it back. Luckily he only exploded the string and he paid to have it replaced.

Back