Does shelter type impact how you hunt?

Shraggs

WKR
I use my hammock mostly for September archery, but looking for a light ground setup too. As I consider which new option I seem to wonder about the impact (beyond the obvious comparisons of weight, double wall etc).

One of my shaped tarps takes two trekking poles - but there were times I wish I had my poles while hunting. With my hammock, I bring a bow hook to hang shoes from a tree and I bring a pack cover - more weight. Some solo size shelters I really question if you can bring all your gear in. Setting up at night, which seems to be the norm for me can be harder with my hammock.

I’m leaning towards a single mid style with one trekking pole so I have one pole with me. Small mids are small above the floor tho. Some of the shaped single pole tarps have a lot of ties outs and unique stake placement and that may be frustrating at night when tired and hungry.

For those that have run a variety of shelter types (mids, shaped tarps, tarp and ivy, double wall free standing, etc) - Are there other considerations that the types of shelter can alter your hunting routines?

John

Reactions: 307

Silver

FNG
I just went through the thought process when deciding which shelter to buy. I went from Shaped tarp to flat tarp + Bivy to UL freestanding back to shaped tarp, and just couldn’t get past the fact that I would need to tear down camp every morning before doing any hunting (this is primarily for sheep hunts, where I’d like to glass with breakfast after a short hike). I ultimately ended up with a light ‘mid tent that comes with its own single pole - even with the weight penalty its still only just over 2# and my tracking poles are free to use when I pop up.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As long as the ground accepts tent stakes the seek LBO has worked nicely for 2 guys and gear backpack hunting. It takes a tad of finesse setting it up but honestly not that much, I get to work on the tent in the night while my partner goes and refills our water bladders or something like that. The hunts I've had it on we planned to break down in the AM so my treking pole/poles (I tend to just join 2 poles rather than an extender on 1 pole) aren't stuck with the shelter. If I was leaving it every day there are options to bring a dedicated pole, find a suitable stick for a pole, collapse and weight it down for the day, leave 1 pole with extension at the shelter and use 1 hunting.

That size shelter suits me nicely, doesn't have to be seek with the expansion feature, but that size is nice.

uteranga

FNG
Usually i take a bivy and a small tarp or a one pole single wall tent (mid style) if weather should be bad for several days
Usually put it up with a branch found near camp or hang it to a tree with a cord (I hike with only 1 pole but avoid bothering with a second one just for the shelter as much as possible, does not work well above tree line of course).

I let the tarp/tent at camp and keep the bivy with me and use it as a warm booth while glassing, also very comfortable for naps.
If I find some really interesting spot, I can go sleep there later in the evening thanks to the bivy being in my backpack, in order to be already at the right place next morning, sparing me the trip back and there again which would increase the risk to make noise or to be smelled while approaching from far away, possibly frightening unseen animals, also perfect for lying in wait.
Work in forests as well as in mountains, perfect combo for me.
And nothing's better than a night under the stars in my opinion.

Last edited:
OP
S

Shraggs

WKR
Other way around for me. I determine how to hunt an area, and then pick the right shelter.

Yes! There is where I hope to be. Maybe I need way more shelters then I have.

Honestly for archery, timber, early season and little flat ground - pretty happy with the hammock at 4 lbs total system.

As I grow into new opportunities, lack of timber, rocky terrain etc it’s difficult to predict what works without some experience.

Maybe what I should add to my aresonal is a better way to ask? Currently have:

1. Hammock for early timber hilly
2. BA copper spur 2 - pretty heavy for me only. Summer and bugs I feel...
3. MSR twin sisters. Cold and or snow for two
4. 10x10 tarp and bivy - haven’t done it yet, but carried

Looking hard at MLD solomid xl and the new Tarptent Aeon for solo. Not ready to tackle the world of 2-4 man shelter, tipi’s. Need consistent buddies first.

Brendan

WKR
My point was - don't let a shelter determine how you hunt. If need be, sell what you have and make sure you have something that's flexible, if not ideal in every condition.

Me personally:

Base camp tent - Tipi with Propane stove. Goes right next to the truck.

Spike camp - Sawtooth with stove.

Lightweight - Paratarp.

Also have a Big Agnes copper spur. May sell that and the paratarp and pick up a seek outside Eolus.

All of them except the BA get packed in the truck.

If I could only have one, I'd do a floorless with option for a stove and use a lightweight bivy to keep pad and bag dry.

Last edited: