Does anyone use a thermal while scanning before switching to traditional optics?

I love the "my tech is fine but your tech is for losers" types.

If 50% of hunters were allowed the use of a thermal with a traditional bow as their weapon, and 50% were allowed to use a rifle but no thermal. I wonder which group would kill more animals? I'm betting on the rifle hunters with rangefinders, scopes that dial, suppressors, etc.

The thermal isn't a game changer. Everyone already uses the game changers with rangefinders, Onx, modern rifles, and dialable scopes.

saskhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I see we have ourselves an intellectual here 🧐 Touche' my man.

Not everything has to be an intellectual debate. Open mouth kissing your sister is probably legal in many places, still doesn't make it right.

Also, while we're on the subject of intellect, it's "touché" not "touche'".

saskhunter

Lil-Rokslider

If 50% of hunters were allowed the use of a thermal with a traditional bow as their weapon, and 50% were allowed to use a rifle but no thermal. I wonder which group would kill more animals? I'm betting on the rifle hunters with rangefinders, scopes that dial, suppressors, etc.

The thermal isn't a game changer. Everyone already uses the game changers with rangefinders, Onx, modern rifles, and dialable scopes.

I believe we're comparing apples to oranges here. Optics give you the ability to see further. A range finder gives you the ability to get accurate ranges.

Thermal imaging allows you to see in the dark or through visual obstructions. Big difference here.

Some devices enhance your abilities, others give you an ability you never had in the first place.

rogerthat

FNG
I’m thinking some of you guys are pretty inexperienced with the latest and greatest units on the market with some of your equivalence arguments. Might want to look into it

wyosam

WKR
We don't use blackhawk helictopers for hunting because it's illegal to use. That's why people don't do it. My line of thinking doesn't support it at all.

I stated that this tech is legal to use. USE IT. Chasing down an herd of elk and mowing them down from a helicopter isn't LEGAL. Don't do it! Pretty simple.

I think they aren't behind at all. I think they know what people have at their disposal and are limiting it to make things fair without straight banning everything.

I'm curious to know what your opinion is on Game Cams. Would you agree that this is awful tech as well? You can literally place hundreds of cams and pinpoint any herd that you'd like, in real time and set off on your Cell phone guided hunt.

I think game cams have gotten way out of hand. Anything with cellular capability should be illegal for hunting use everywhere, as they are in some states. I’d fully support an outright ban, but that isn’t really feasible. I think if you want to know what’s out there you should probably go look, you know kind of like hunting.

Tech improvements that assist in taking game more cleanly/reliably are a little different to me, though with the ever increasing effectiveness at longer distances (or at least the appearance that it’s effective) is a slippery slope. Tech that helps locate game that is not actually in view seems like a big step in the wrong direction. I would imagine it’s very effective in thick country. Would be great locating bears and moose in AK where you can be 50 feet from them and not see them. The amazing glass available today does make spotting game further away when they are within a clear line of sight a lot easier, so an argument on similarities is certainly valid.

We are making more and more hunters more and more successful, while not increasing available game and habitat to support them. The only way that can go is less opportunity now or in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyosam

WKR
regarding thermal devices, here in Utah they recently updated the verbiage in the the regs from illegal to "use" to illegal to simply "possess" during a big game hunt. I applaud them making it unequivocal, unambiguous, and much more straightforward for conservation officers (game wardens) to enforce.

That is key. With “use” wording on anything like this, it’s going to be extremely difficult to impossible to enforce.

wyosam

WKR

Locating animals not within your line of site in dense cover is actually a pretty big game changer. In that habitat, where pressured animals often go, rangefinders, scopes that dial, etc are all essentially useless. That is game that is going to get killed at or close to bow range anyway. It’s making a sanctuary for game no longer a sanctuary. Sounds like the game changed significantly to me.

ozyclint

WKR
Here in Australia we have Sambar deer in Victoria. They are primarily a forest dweller and very elusive.
A stag is prized trophy and touted as our "premier game animal" :unsure:

A stag seemed to be some mythical once in a lifetime beast.

Now people hunt them using pointer dogs with GPS collars. Dog goes searching, tracker indicates that dog is on point, hunter moves in on dogs location. Boom, premier game animal down.

No doubt thermals are being used to scan dense forest too.

IMO, method of take has as much to do with "premier game animal" as the animal itself.