Does anyone use a thermal while scanning before switching to traditional optics?

USP45

FNG
I am looking at doing a hunt Colorado where glassing is commonly used, especially compared to my normal hunting in East Texas. When hunting whitetail in East Texas we will use thermals to scan treelines in large fields often seeing where the deer are behind treeline prior to coming into a field.

Does anyone use a thermal in western type hunts to locate prior to switching to glass in order to judge if it is something to actively hunt? I know that it can be difficult to just find an animal in wide open areas with glass, thermal would at least point you in the correct direction to look with glass.

Does anyone use a thermal in western type hunts to locate prior to switching to glass in order to judge if it is something to actively hunt? I know that it can be difficult to just find an animal in wide open areas with glass, thermal would at least point you in the correct direction to look with glass.

In the different states that I hunt, that sort of thing is illegal, not to mention a gross violation of fair chase standards.

2rocky

WKR

2016 Colorado Revised Statutes
Title 33 - Parks and Wildlife
Wildlife
Article 6 - Law Enforcement and Penalties - Wildlife
Part 1 - General Provisions
§ 33-6-127. Hunting with artificial light, night vision, or thermal imaging devices​

Universal Citation: CO Rev Stat § 33-6-127 (2016)
(1) (a) Unless otherwise provided by commission rule and except as provided in section 33-6-107 (9) for persons owning or leasing land, members of their family, or their agents, it is unlawful for any person to utilize any artificial light as an aid in hunting or taking any wildlife. For the purposes of this subsection (1), the possession of any firearm with cartridges in the chamber or magazine or loaded with powder and ball or a strung bow, unless the bow is cased, while attempting to project any artificial light into areas where wildlife may be found is prima facie evidence of a violation of this section.

(b) A person who violates this subsection (1) is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of two hundred dollars and an assessment of twenty license suspension points.

(2) (a) Unless otherwise provided by commission rule and except as provided in section 33-6-107 (9) for persons owning or leasing land, members of their family, or their agents, it is unlawful for a person to utilize electronic night vision equipment, electronically enhanced light-gathering optics, or thermal imaging devices as an aid in hunting or taking wildlife outside legal hunting hours according to commission rules.

(b) A person who violates this subsection (2) is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, shall be punished by a fine of two thousand dollars and an assessment of twenty license suspension points.

OP
U

USP45

FNG
So the statute above says outside of legal hunting hours, I am asking about using them during hunting hours to locate where something is before switching to glass in order to make a decision, not hunting at night.

Even this use *may* be prohibited in certain states, but by reading the Colorado statute it does not appear to be unless not in hunting hours. I could be reading that wrong however.

And as far as East Texas hunters being sketchy, how is it sketchy if not prohibited...? The use of, and advancement of technology to hunt is constant and evolving. Again, I am not talking about hunting game animals at night using thermals.

So the statute above says outside of legal hunting hours, I am asking about using them during hunting hours to locate where something is before switching to glass in order to make a decision, not hunting at night.

Even this use *may* be prohibited in certain states, but by reading the Colorado statute it does not appear to be unless not in hunting hours. I could be reading that wrong however.

And as far as East Texas hunters being sketchy, how is it sketchy if not prohibited...? The use of, and advancement of technology to hunt is constant and evolving. Again, I am not talking about hunting game animals at night using thermals.
"as an aid in hunting OR ......outside legal hunting hours"

OR has meaning. Separates two different things.....Meaning:

it's illegal for 1. hunting AND it is also illegal for 2. taking wildlife at night.

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
Had to jump in because I also disagree with this.

However, from a strictly legal standpoint if you were to re-read the regs carefully, you would see that is unlawful in two scenarios:
"as an aid in hunting or taking wildlife outside legal hunting hours"

Since you are planning to use it as a hunting aid, you would be unlawful.

M-Wig

Lil-Rokslider
So essentially you use the thermal to cut down on glassing time by spotting the animals for you? Then you can glass them traditionally to see if they are worth pursuing. Is that correct?

OP
U

USP45

FNG
So essentially you use the thermal to cut down on glassing time by spotting the animals for you? Then you can glass them traditionally to see if they are worth pursuing. Is that correct?
Yes, that is what I am saying.

505Wapiti

WKR
Yes, that is what I am saying.
That’s illegal and cheating, that’s what we’re saying. ….and a bit lazy in my opinion. Why not just drive through a petting zoo and shoot something if you want an easy “hunt”???

I hunt Arizona, colorado and Idaho. I don't employ this method nor would I. I use binoculars and patience. If I feel the need to cheat, I use 15s on a tripod.

OP
U

USP45

FNG
I have placed a call with Colorado Parks and Wildlife Gunnison office to clarify and am waiting on a return call.
(2) (a) Unless otherwise provided by commission rule and except as provided in section 33-6-107 (9) for persons owning or leasing land, members of their family, or their agents, it is unlawful for a person to utilize electronic night vision equipment, electronically enhanced light-gathering optics, or thermal imaging devices as an aid in hunting or taking wildlife outside legal hunting hours according to commission rules.
I understand how several on here have read the statute due to the "or", but I read that as a complete statement i.e. "hunting or taking wildlife outside legal hunting hours" meaning you cannot use them outside of legal hunting hours but can during. If you were not allowed to use thermals to hunt at all then why even talk about legal hunting hours? Why not just say you cannot use them period.... why include a time period.

If you were not allowed to use thermals to hunt at all then why even talk about legal hunting hours? Why not just say you cannot use them period.... why include a time period.

Because one paragraph addresses hunting with artificial light, which includes thermal imagery, and the other paragraph deals with the uses of artificial lights outside of legal shooting hours. Pretty simple, from a legal standpoint.

OP
U

USP45

FNG
I hunt Arizona, colorado and Idaho. I don't employ this method nor would I. I use binoculars and patience. If I feel the need to cheat, I use 15s on a tripod.
This topic has certainly caused a significant emotional event for some, that was not the intent. But let me ask you this, you state that "If I feel the need to cheat, I use 15s on a tripod". In say 1930 before 15s on a tripod were a thing, would that have met the same responce? Would the guys at the local coffee shop seen that as the lazy way of hunting? I mean, get on your own two feet and walk up and down the mountains to find that animal right?

This has kind of turned from a legitimate question of "can you" to "should you". It will be interesting to see if in 20 years when some of this technology is more readily available, will this be the norm.

Anyways, it was only a question and I will update with what Colorado Parks and Wildlife has to say on the matter.

M-Wig

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know the laws for each state regarding this. If not explicitly against the rules, I'm guessing that is because very few people are utilizing thermal like this. If that tech becomes cheaper, and more hunters use it for this purpose, I see laws coming to pass.

Last edited:
I called game and fish out of curiosity and they said it is illegal to use for hunting.

Attachments

• 1D50E75A-DDB9-426F-873E-76CAD59079A3.jpeg
    1D50E75A-DDB9-426F-873E-76CAD59079A3.jpeg
    495.2 KB · Views: 88

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
I have placed a call with Colorado Parks and Wildlife Gunnison office to clarify and am waiting on a return call.

I understand how several on here have read the statute due to the "or", but I read that as a complete statement i.e. "hunting or taking wildlife outside legal hunting hours" meaning you cannot use them outside of legal hunting hours but can during. If you were not allowed to use thermals to hunt at all then why even talk about legal hunting hours? Why not just say you cannot use them period.... why include a time period.
Question: how is it legal hunting if it is outside legal hunting hours?

It means for use while hunting, or use while taking game outside hunting hours. You did the right thing calling them for clarification, though