Does anyone NOT wear merino underwear?

I really want a couple pairs of merino boxers to wear for several days in a row on trips, but I've been on a frustrating (and expensive) quest to find some that I like, but just haven't found anything that fit me quite like my regular boxer-briefs... and since none of them are returnable, it sucks buying more just to be disappointed again and having another pair of $30-45 boxers added to the pile.

Do any of you just pack a couple extra pairs and wear your regular underwear on trips?

EDIT: Should also mention that my regular everyday underwear are just "standard" fruit of the loom walmart $20 for a 6-pack boxer briefs.. I've tried the fancy ex officio, saxx, UA, etc boxer briefs and none were as comfortable..

Last edited:
After a bunch of years, Ive got Merino figured out, but its pretty specific on how I use it.

But never merino boxers/briefs. I tried a few different brands, and I just dont like the way they feel and fit. I just dont like it. Ive been wearing UA boxerjocks 6" mesh for a long time and never had an issue with them, also have a few pairs of saxx that I like enough. I have a good bit of FL wick/kiln/furnace shirts/longjohn bottoms and Kuiu Ultra Merino 120 shirts/hoodies - but Ill wear the UA boxer under the bottoms. The tops I can wear as my first layer.

I also dont like wearing Merino base layers above about 70 degrees. I prefer synthetics above 70.

Except socks. I always wear darn tough 2011, 2012 or Spur.

Last edited:
The merino undies have been good to me so far, and i have found they are more comfortable the next day than the first day. I thought they did a great job masking stank when i worked out.

I bought quite a bit of merino undies this year and have found them to be very comfy for my needs. I have first lite, kuiu, stone glacier, and those all do well controlling stank and comfort are good. I tend to get wedgies a lot due to having a non-flat butt, but day two in the first lite are money, but honestly all of them fit well on day 2 still. Havent gone longer than that in them, so dont know how they would be after 4-5 days. The ball sack part of the FL ones are legit, and i tend to reach for those for just that function of keeping my balls from either being crunched or being sticky.

I also purchased some lulemon undies, and comfortwise they are amazing, but they do give a slight “chill”, esp when sweaty, and i would not wear them in colder temps as my balls would be in my stomach the whole time trying to stay warm. I also notice a good funk coming from them within a day after exercise, so multi-day use in an active hunting situation they would likely be ripe within 2-3 days tops.

I have been wearing these different undies almost exclusively for several (4-5) months now, as they are all holding up well, no signs of wear. I have 4 FL, one kuiu, one SG, and two different styles of the lulus. Yeah they aint cheap, but they are working well.

I like the ex officio for hunting. I have a few pairs that are only used for hunting. I used to wear them exclusively but now just wear a pair of light synthetics. I wear saxx otherwise and sometimes hunting. For me they dry much faster on long trips and I just haven’t found a pair of merino wool briefs that feel good. I bring an extra pair on my trips and switch/rinse every few days. They take up so little space. An extra pair of underwear and socks and I’m set for however long I need. I wear merino wool for my other layers (shirt till it’s too cold and then long underwear when it gets cold). That said, wear what feels good to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get the kinda sporty Hanes from Walmart. Most have some anti microbial properties and for the ounce counters, two pairs weighs the same as one merino.

im also a Duluth guy. armachillo to be exact for me. they go on sale all the time so you can get a single pair for $15 ish i believe if you watch there frequent sales. they seem to have good durability. i am up to 7 pairs now that i wear daily, and haven't worn anything else for about 3 years now. i haven't worn any out yet and still frequently wear my first pair. they are also light so its easy to stuff an extra pair or two in your pack with out any noticeable weight penalty.

T28w

WKR
A nylon synthetic is all I wear. Duluth or exofficio, have both and feel the same after a couple washes. No funk and dries super fast. When I used to travel a lot before kids I would take 2 pair of boxers. When I felt they needed washing, I would wash in the shower and hang up and put on the other pair. The wet one would be dry in a couple hours. Less if put by a fan.