Does a muzzle break change the point of impact?

Elite

WKR
Hello everyone,

Thinking about rigging up a new rifle over the winter. I currently have a 30-06 that weighs roughly 8 lbs with the scope and a 7mm-08 that weighs 6.5 lbs with the scope. I am now looking to upgrade the 30-06 to be able to poke a little further out at elk. The recoil on either Caliber is not a issue at all but I am looking into stepping into a 300 wsm or a 7mm PRC. The recoil looks to be a lot more then the old 30-06. I would like to use the muzzle break for the range and open country hunting but I also bush hunt where sometimes there is no time to but ear protection on so would like to ditch the break for the up and close bush hunting. I would also like the break to be able to spot my shots better as I hunt solo a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve seen a 3-4” change. My muzzleloader shoots several inches lower with out a brake than it does with

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
A muzzlebreak changed my poi at 100 yards 3-4" on a 28 nosler

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
That is definitely more then I had expected.. does anyone have experience with a light rifle and magnum calibers? Wondering how bad the recoil can get

B23

WKR
That is definitely more then I had expected.. does anyone have experience with a light rifle and magnum calibers? Wondering how bad the recoil can get
There's a lot of variables to the above. Generally, bigger case more recoil. Heavier bullet more recoil. Lighter the gun more recoil. Also, some magnum cartridges, at least they do for me, have different types of "felt" recoil. Had a MkV 257 Wby mag that didn't really have a lot of recoil per say but the recoil impulse was extremely sharp and bitey. I shot a 270 WSM that was very similar feeling while others have more of a push feel to them. Hopefully that makes sense.

For me, the only thing good about a light rifle is when I'm carrying it, otherwise, I always shoot a rifle with some weight to it, better.

Also, pretty much whenever you add anything to the end of the barrel, it's very likely to have, some, amount of POI shift. Groups generally aren't affected but POI most often will be. How much POI shift tends to be more affected when the barrel is of a smaller contour.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR

7#, 8.5# 300rum. 8# 300win. A 7# rum is hell on scopes.

Magnum calibers? I have a Tikka T3x Superlite in 30-06 that kicks like a dang mule with 178 grain ELD-X.