Do you need a bolt that locks when the safety is on?

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the market for a high end factory rifle (Seekins, Springfield waypoint, Christensen, etc.) which I plan to use for 90% of my hunting. I’ve been surprised that most of these rifles don’t lock the bolt when the safety is on. All the rifles I’ve owned and hunted with have had locking bolts and 3 positions safeties (model 70s, Savage 110). It’s always seemed like a great feature to me.

I mostly hunt elk and mule deer and spend a fair amount of time hiking through brush. 80% of the time I carry the rifle without a round in the chamber.

Has anyone had issues with a non locking bolt opening when in the field? Do you think I’ll regret not having a locking bolt?

I dispise the 3 position safety. I can’t justify it, I just hate it.

I hunt mainly with REM 700 or Weatherby style rifles, and usually have a round in the chamber the entire time I’m away from camp. Never once in over 30 years of hunting have I had a bolt come open accidentally. I’ve hunted from Alaska to Africa, and about every type of terrain. (Not a boast, just background )

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Yes I prefer this. I’ve lost a couple bullets when carrying my rifle in a gun bearer because of this. So then it makes me constantly check my bolt. Don’t get the benefit of that design.

packer58

WKR
Always hunted with 2 position safeties. Same as above, never had a bolt come open. I have a round in the chamber as long as it’s daylight and I have a tag in my pocket. My rifle is also always in my hands while I’m hunting. Never on a sling or pack
Pretty much the same here, however I have had my rifle come off safety from rubbing on my pack once years ago but just adjusted things and hasn't happen since... That could have happen with a 3 position just as easily I suppose ...

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've had my bolt come open before while it was on my pack.

If you like 3 position safeties just find a rifle you like with one. Besides what you mentioned Kimber also uses a 3 position.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

SDHNTR

WKR
I’ve had bolts open inadvertently multiple times. But then again, I also like being able to unload and cycle a bolt with the safety on. The best solution is a 3 position. I wish more 700 clones had the option.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
One of my main rifles is a Remington 375HH, I’m instantly reaching back to make sure the bolt is closed when I’m out hunting.

Locking bolts are the best.

My Cooper bolt has come open while on a SG sling on my pack. Not that intuitive to close a bolt you can’t see at a weird angle and if you are lucky the round is wedged and not lost.
I much prefer locking bolts. I’ve also seen others with me not have the bolt all the way down when attempting to shoot on non locking models.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I prefer not to have a locking bolt. Never seen the use for it, personally. I’ve never had a bolt open without me opening it.

Tex68w

WKR
I don’t prefer the three position locking bolt personally but I understand why some do. If you have a two position that unlocks in the safe position and you’re worried about the bolt getting bumped open while being carried in your pack l, on the sling or when in hand then the simple solution is to carry it on safe with one in the chamber and use a small rubber band or bungee around the bolt knob and trigger guard to keep that bolt from coming open. Should you need to shoot and then run the bolt to reload quickly it’s as simple as flicking that rubber band/bungee off of the bolt knob.

One of my favorite features of the Kimber is the 3 position safety and locking bolt. Kimber and Tikka are my two backcountry rifles. Love everything about the Tikka except for the safety. It is too easily accidentally bumped to fire.

I dislike having to put the safety in fire to open the bolt, so for me, the optimum system is either a 2 position that doesn't lock the bolt, or a three position safety. That being said, the safety design does not factor into my purchase decisions, my current rifles are 2 position bolt locking.

Don't forget to check out the sako s20 while you're shopping, and do some reading on chriastensen before you commit.

Floridave

FNG
I have had a bolt open before, that rifle is gone now and wouldn’t own another rifle with a non locking bolt.

I don’t have problem with putting on fire to unload so either locking bolt 2 or 3 position is fine with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The Sakos are my favorite setup. 2 position with a bypass button. I use non locking also, just prefer the sako. Wish Tikka was the same.

My dad has a thompson center contender i believe, it cost him a 170” whitetail cause while he was sneaking through the woods the bolt half popped up and when he pulled up on the deer it dodnt go boom. So i know i personally want something that locks.

My dad has a thompson center contender i believe, it cost him a 170” whitetail cause while he was sneaking through the woods the bolt half popped up and when he pulled up on the deer it dodnt go boom. So i know i personally want something that locks.
The contender is a single shot break action, maybe a Compass or Venture?