Do you hunt or plan on hunting out of state?

Do you hunt out of state or are you planning to hunt out of state?

• Yes

Votes: 163 88.1%
  • No

Votes: 22 11.9%

• Total voters

Scottyboy

WKR
I hunt out of state every year. Lately it's been MO (every year almost, own land there), WI (about every other year, own land there too and have lots of access to private), MT (occasionally) and soon to be CO. Nice thing about MO and WI is it is relatively cheap compared to Western states.
Are you looking to make a friend? 🫣

CorbLand

WKR
Well so far overwhelmingly everybody wants to hunt out of state so why the hell are we bitching and moaning to limit non-residents even more?
Maybe because a large majority of people would like to hunt closer to home? It’s already been posted a couple times that people hunt out of state because they can’t get tags at home and they want to hunt. Give them tags at home and they won’t.

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
Is it hoarding if a person wants to hunt an animal in their own state compared to someone who wants to double, triple, quadruple dip by snagging hunts where they don't live? The latter person fits that mold to a T.
Valid point, but why do you care about limiting others?

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
Maybe because a large majority of people would like to hunt closer to home? It’s already been posted a couple times that people hunt out of state because they can’t get tags at home and they want to hunt. Give them tags at home and they won’t.
Maybe a few, but it seems most people WANT to hunt out of state!

N8H

FNG
If you can pay to do it, I don't care if you hunt my state. Just be cool about it. Maybe someday when I'm not broke, I'll hunt your state.

I didn't pick where I was born, I didn't draw the imaginary lines of this country, and I don't brag about either. Just because I got here first doesn't mean I'm special. Just my thoughts.

CorbLand

WKR
Maybe a few, but it seems most people WANT to hunt out of state!
Your on a forum that is geared towards the more hard core hunters. It’s flawed to think that rokslide is even remotely close to being an accurate representation of the average hunter.

You also ask how many of us do or want to. Not how many do because they don’t have a choice if they want to hunt every year.

CorbLand

WKR
Whether we like it or not, animals are a finite resource. When it comes to hunting there is nothing you can do that does not take from someone else. So limiting other increases my odds. Now that may sound like a dick thing to do but by advocating for more NR tags, you are advocating for limiting Residents. Two sides of the same coin.

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
Your on a forum that is geared towards the more hard core hunters. It’s flawed to think that rokslide is even remotely close to being an accurate representation of the average hunter.

You also ask how many of us do or want to. Not how many do because they don’t have a choice if they want to hunt every year.
Yes those are more valid points. However, everyone complaining that I am referring to is on rokslide. I do wish I would have worded it once instead of do. However, I don't think it would be much different.

sndmn11

"DADDY"
I used to not. Then people, seemingly like yourself, came about and started asking for more NR allocation under the guise of "more opportunity for everyone" and those demands would require taking from residents.
Give everyone more opportunity

"Everyone" in your sense means all non-residents would have more opportunity. Why on earth would any resident volunteer to hand their local hunting opportunity over to someone from elsewhere? Whatever state you are from, I firmly believe you should hunt it 10X+ more than someone who is also hunting in their own state.

So, when the rally cry from NR is "hand over more" followed by "hand over some more", it grabs my attention and changes my perspective from not caring much about R/NR allocation, to wanting to defend the attack.

cnelk

WKR
Not so sure about that.

This year Im going to hunt deer and elk in Colorado. Im also going to hunt deer (3 tags) and antelope and turkey in Wyo.

And Im waiting to see if I’ll hunt elk in Wyo.

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
Whether we like it or not, animals are a finite resource. When it comes to hunting there is nothing you can do that does not take from someone else. So limiting other increases my odds. Now that may sound like a dick thing to do but by advocating for more NR tags, you are advocating for limiting Residents. Two sides of the same coin.
I understand what you're saying, you're not wrong, we just see things a little different. I would be willing to give 10% of my home state in order to get 10% of most every other state.

CorbLand

WKR
I understand what you're saying, you're not wrong, we just see things a little different. I would be willing to give 10% of my home state in order to get 10% of most every other state.
Because you live in a state that has limited Resident opportunities. Giving up 10% here, is a lot less than other states giving up 10%.

By taking that 10% you would be taking it from someone that doesn’t have the funds to hunt out of state every year and wants tags close to home.

Jethro

WKR
give everyone more opportunity
The hot ticket right now is elk and mule deer. Throw in antelope if you like. You simply can’t give everyone more opportunity to hunt those species. To give someone more opportunity means someone has to lose opportunity.

States with unlimited whitetail tags don’t belong in same conversation.

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
Because you live in a state that has limited Resident opportunities. Giving up 10% here, is a lot less than other states giving up 10%.

By taking that 10% you would be taking it from someone that doesn’t have the funds to hunt out of state every year and wants tags close to home.
Maybe the disconnect is I'm not seeing how many residents really want to hunt that can't get a tag. It's possible that's a truth I don't fully understand. I am open-minded, I hope we all can be. That is the only way we will get anything done.

pirogue

WKR
Percents, per se, mean nothing in comparing states. Just ratio alone doesn’t mean much unless you look at population/demand from both R/NR. The fact that WY is the least populated state in the Union, fairly well substantiates that thier Resident demand for tags is going to be a low number, compared to the NR demand. So if they have a 75/25 R/NR and that equates to 90% of residents drawing, they can be viewed as much more R friendly than a state with 90/10 ratio, yet only 70% of residents are getting a tag.

Hnthrdr

WKR
And to think you have it better than Utah.

I have points out of state but the only reason is because I have family in different states and I want to hunt with them. If it weren’t for that and I could get a tag every year in my home unit, I would be content.
Very content in hunting my own back yard, I get points in AZ since that is where the family ranch is. Will probably hunt it sometime in the next 5-10 years. I get points in Wyoming since army buddy lives there and co workers family had a smallish ranch. Good army buddy in a MT game warden so I may hunt there some day… but not stacking points currently so who knows. I think most guys issue is the NR that feel entitled to hunt X state every year, and it’s some crime against humanity if they can’t… oh while also hunting a pile of tags in their own state