Do you hunt alone

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
I have several friends that I hunt with, but none of them hunt as much as I do. I start early archery and hunt every weekend till the end of January.
For years I have been trying to put together a trip for moose. All my friends have expressed light interest, but never would commit. I'm 53 this year and not getting any younger, so (at my wife's urging) I booked a trip this year (leaving in 2 weeks).
The guys can't understand how I can go alone. I don't know about anybody else but I don't need someone to hold my hand to do something I love. After allI will be spending the week with a guide.
Anybody else chase their dreams alone!

*zap*

WKR
Hoping to hunt some bordering states for whitetail this season, plan on hunting public and camping. It would be nice to have a like minded person to go with but that does not seem to be likely to happen. Locally I am 100% on my own for hunting, camping, canoeing and rucking.123606

MidwestElkHutner

Lil-Rokslider
As already been said, I enjoy both The comraderie with others hunters is part of the enjoyment for me The solitude and challenge of a solo hunt is also something I enjoy I make my hunting plans for the year based off of what I want to do and see if any of my hunting buddies are interested in going Sometimes yes Sometimes no I won't let others dictate where, when, or what I hunt

More often than not I’m alone. I like it. I don’t have to worry about anybody else. I’ve regretted it a few times though on solo pack outs. Lol

Where are you doing your moose hunt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt almost exclusively alone. I say “if I didn’t do it alone I wouldn’t get it done” . Did BC mountain goat trip by myself this year. Obviously I had a guide but almost everything I do at home is alone.

Fitzwho

WKR
I prefer to hunt alone. I won’t ever hunt big game again with a guy that doesn’t have a tag in the same unit himself. They have nothing keeping them there if they aren’t enjoying themselves. At the very least they’ll have to drive themselves there, so they can drive themself off the mountain.

So plan a trip and both have the tag or go it alone. I went to Canada alone on my first guided hunt (moose). Hunted Arizona alone for Coue’s deer alone twice, Elk in NM, etc. The only place I don’t mind having company is at camp in later seasons.

I prefer to hunt alone, but I mostly hunt whitetails currently. For western backcountry hunts I don’t believe it’s a wise thing to go alone.

robie

WKR
You are going in a guided hunt without your buddies. Not quite the same as DIY solo.

I've done both and truly being alone is a mental game that is either for you or it's not. Very easy to find a reason to pack it up and head home when all by yourself.

Going guided without a buddy is great. You will meet new people in camp and have fun. Enjoy the experience.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Mark

WKR
For western backcountry hunts I don’t believe it’s a wise thing to go alone.

It's no different for me to go on backcountry solo hunts than it is for you to hunt whitetails alone. I've been hunting alone in the backcountry for over 30 years. It seems normal to me.

I doubt I will hunt elk alone again in the backcountry due to physical capabilities (surgeries). But deer and antelope are manageable for me still on a solo hunt.

If I had a nickel for every time my local hunting buddies said “ I’m going with you on the next out-of-state, big game hunt and adventure.” Surprisingly, they always back out when asked for their deposit money to the guides, transporters, or outfitters. I guess their new vehicle with 18,000 electronic components and bi-monthly dealership repair fees or the overleveraged new house is more important to them. Choices in life...

Last edited:

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
I love sharing a hunt with family/friends but if no one is available when I want to go, I absolutely will hunt alone and do it several times a year.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Went to Colorado solo for Elk this year unfortunately I was sick all week. Went to Utgent Care after 2 or three days and stayed at a motel at lower elevation 2 nights then went hunting again, sick again, terrible headaches. Left a day early because of sick and weak and had headaches all the way home (1100 miles). Went to Emergency Department when I got home. They treated me for Tick related diseases but blood tests were negative. My wife almost let me go back out after a week but I was still weak. I’ll go again next year solo, I’ll be 65 then. This year was just a bad trip but I’ll do it again.

FLAK

WKR
I've always hunted alone, here in the East and out West. The only time I really hunt with someone is when my 15y/o wants to go. Always preferred to go it alone.
However, let me say I just turned 53 and that I am not the animal I used to be.
I don't know how many solo out of state "adventure hunts" I have left.
Actually rethinking a hunt for this season.