Solo hunting

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
I enjoy solo hunting. 65 years old and a busted up body. We were fortunate enough to be able to stake 20 acres of remote land and built a nice log cabin. I set it up for hunting. Insulated the generator shed and installed an air conditioner to convert it into a walk in cooler. Have a 6, 4 and 3 wheelers out there. Winches on them.
If I am blessed to harvest a moose I believe that I can handle it. I can have spotty cell service and bad internet service. I also don't use any other electronics that show my location.
I can say this. When I watch the float plane leave and look around. It's just me n the world. Wild Alaska. Kinda exillerating.
Yeah my beautiful wife prefers that I have someone else with me. But seems folks my age have quit hunting. I enjoy having company but I also get a sense of adventure by being by myself. And I generally don't carry a sidearm either. Just a rifle. Also depend on a compass, no electronics. I'm kinda ol school. And as stated, hunting moose, wolves, brown and black bears and depending on myself only has a certain aspect about it. But having a nice fully equipped cabin to hang my hat in gives me the advantage I need to feel comfortable with being by myself.
And I enjoy the experience 09E7C847-A67E-4254-84C1-CD839F855A40.jpeg2C9CF3B6-F34E-4E96-87B4-CCA17BC1BB18.jpeg77A3B9D3-A852-4334-9FA9-AB762DF63FD7.jpeg20210317_114745.jpg

BBob

WKR
I’ve been solo hunting for so long it’s just a normal thing around here. The old days I left a map and which friend to call for details on where I was in an emergency or if I went missing. Now days there’s the inReach. I send messages with location to my primaries and that covers it.

EdP

WKR
So many of the responses are about the hunter and how the hunter feels prepared or maybe feels their skills are being belittled buy the expressions of concern. However, it's it's not about the hunter, it's about the folks that love the hunter and so they worry. It's just natural and there is not much that can be done about it. Think of it this way. Your wife is going to take a trip to NYC. Wouldn't you be thinking about her safety and wishing she had someone else along to watch her back? About the best we can do is to check in to let them know "all OK here" at the end of each day, and go have a fun and rewarding hunt.

TaperPin

WKR
As a SAR responder, I am called out for hunters every year. Yes, only a very few have been deceased, but hunters are not immune from needing help.
You are absolutely correct - survival skills and decision making are extremely important. I worry more about each generation - there’s less emphasis on the outdoors growing up, fewer opportunities to learn basic skills in moderately difficult situations, then the person goes online and learns how to backpack 10 miles in during difficult freeze thaw periods to extremely rough country and yet sometimes doesn’t have the understanding of how important something as basic as rain gear and the other ten essentials can be.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
As a SAR responder, I am called out for hunters every year. Yes, only a very few have been deceased, but hunters are not immune from needing help.
What would you say are the most common reasons for a hunter to call search and rescue?

OP
OKHunter84
So many of the responses are about the hunter and how the hunter feels prepared or maybe feels their skills are being belittled buy the expressions of concern. However, it's it's not about the hunter, it's about the folks that love the hunter and so they worry. It's just natural and there is not much that can be done about it. Think of it this way. Your wife is going to take a trip to NYC. Wouldn't you be thinking about her safety and wishing she had someone else along to watch her back? About the best we can do is to check in to let them know "all OK here" at the end of each day, and go have a fun and rewarding hunt.
This is a very good point. I would straight up not be cool with my wife doing a solo NYC shopping trip these days.

My wife has never been a big fan of when I go solo hunting. I get it, they just care because they love us and don't want anything bad to happen etc. This is my first year with a zoleo but she does appreciate that little reassurance or the ability just to check in

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
What would you say are the most common reasons for a hunter to call search and rescue?

Transportation issues are very common and that can be getting stuck in the snow with their primary vehicle and not having the right equipment to self rescue to accidents with SxS, ATV’s, Motorcycles, horses etc.
Not being prepared for sudden weather changes in the backcountry, this is more common for backpack or spike camp hunters. They bring just enough gear/supplies for the hunt but don’t typically have a plan for an extended stay.
Location of injury is related to the form of transportation, but often for foot based hunters its ankle, knee, low back/hip.
Some accidents from sharp objects like knives and broad heads.
Navigation issues do occur especially at night, most everyone is using their phone for GPS and the two common issues that occur is battery failure and they don’t have their battery backup or the phone is damaged for some reason and they do not have a alternate form of navigation.
No useable or working form of artificial light to travel at night effectively because of the “I’m gonna lighten my pack for today’s hunt” syndrome. This gets more common the longer the days in the field a hunter does.
Animal attacks are rare.