Do vented Iron Wills whistle

Code_red

Lil-Rokslider
I have heard/read some people making comments about the vented iron wills making some whistling noises when shot. Has anyone experienced this and if so has anyone tried to solids to see if they are better off with no extra noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
A solid Broadhead will always be more quite. Vented Ironwills to my ears are any more noisy then most other larger profile vented heads. Right now I am shooting Viper Tricks, Wicked tricks, 100 grains Solids and 100 grain vented Iron wills. To my ears I can’t tell the difference between anyone of them. They all hiss. I been shooting 100 grains solid blades 4 blade Oz cuts and but they seem to hiss less. If you want vents you will get some hiss.

Last edited:

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, they’re pretty loud. The Muley buck I shot with one at 50 years a wasn’t bothered by it, and piled up at the end of a short blood trail.

GotDraw?

WKR
This has been debated at length in prior posts.

Your bow makes more noise and your bow makes that noise at the worst possible time.

By the time an animal actually hears any broadhead coming at it, it's too late and the arrow is impacting.

I use IW vented, no issues at all with wind noise.

JL

HookUp

WKR
yes. I have shot a metric crap ton of different broad heads and you can hear a slight whistle. They are super accurate no worries, I will be testing the new 100 solids.

MTSabo

WKR
Yes. While i did take 2 whitetail with them no problem, i had a 3rd jump before impact. While i cant say if it was the broadhead making noise for sure it still bothers me a bit. It was at 42 yrds.

Mine were pretty loud. I was comparing against ATAC and Shuttle T's so not exactly fair for noise but those two also far outshot the Iron Will for consistent accuracy so I sold my heads. I may end up trying the 100 grain solid blade version since everyone likes them so much but the vented were not the right combination for me. My arrow setup and fletching isn't the issue either.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I used to shoot the big Snuffers way back before they were sold to Magnus. I was shooting them out of a longbow probably going 160fps. I took a bunch of deer and wild hogs while I stationed in Georgia, and we used to always joke about those being the “whistle of death”. It was loud but like others have said, when/if the animal hears it, it would be right as the arrow is arriving anyways. If the vented ones fly best then I would shoot them and not even think twice about the perceived noise you hear, it is not going to matter.

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, mine whistle pretty good when I got out to to 40+. Also, the elk I shot at that distance did not seem to notice.

They’re super sharp, super durable, and super accurate. I’ll deal with a little noise from them.

CLibka

Lil-Rokslider
This might not be a popular statement, but my 125 gn IW solid's aren't exactly "quiet" either I can definitely hear them headed down range. Do I think this affects animals ... I don't know. But to say that the solids have zero noise is inaccurate I feel.

To answer - 2 parts.
1. Iron Wills are getting solid animal killing performance reviews in the Ranch Fairy Nation. I have a couple world traveling hunters, big bears, and a few other nasties using them. No failures.
2 You cannot prevent arrow noise. Ever, never. I will continue to research this in 2019. Here is my arrow noise and animals jumping the string video. Please keep in mind, Big Mike shooting the arrows when we are testing "sound" is only shooting field points. Obviously the hunting shots there are broadheads.

Have had requests to shoot broadheads and a best of the quietest video. Not something I care about, it just hurts the whole archery industry. Because you get might get a cross wind, high humidity, 25MPH head wind...WHEN HUNTING and your arrow might be louder.....
BRO!
BROOOO!!!!!
I am shooting in less than ideal conditions, silly ecosystem, its all unpredictable and stuff.
Landing the plane now......the arrow, always, super always, ever always, makes noise. At least the 100's we've tested. Even bare shafts make noise. Ain't that a peach!!

Gender confused dude showing things that are moderately interesting below.

Scottyboy

WKR
They whistle..yes, but the deer i shot had no clue.

Curious though...what advantage does a vented vs non-vented broadhead have? For sake of argument, let’s use Iron Will as an example being they are the subject on this topic.

Zac

WKR
I was just going to ask the same question. I would imagine that the vented is going to plane less, and be more friendly to a really hard helical?

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
I am also curious if anyone has seen planning with the solids, or if this issue has kind of gone away as we have moved to heavier, weight forward arrows?