“Do-it-all” Pad Advice

JLH208

WKR
Plan on running my WM Versalite in a borah bivy, under a silex, with a stove when needed. This is going to be my do-it-all setup, so wondering if I want the Thermarest xtherm or xlite. I don’t know if I’m a “cold sleeper” on the mountain (have always slept in camper or truck) but I typically run warm in general. Xtherm over kill? Xlite plenty with added layers of clothing later in season or is that less relevant/ pad R value more of the key factor? New to backpacking so any suggestions welcome. Read other topics on these specific pads but hoping for experience with similar to this specific setup. This will be central Idaho, September through October. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C.payne

WKR
In my opinion I would go with the Xtherm. No question.
I am from BC and have tried multiple pads. Nothing ticks all the boxes for me like the Xtherm.
I have ran pads with r values in the 3-5 ranges but in September and October I can feel the heat being sucked from my body into the ground. I have never had that feeling with the XTherm.
For sleeping bags I run a WM Megalite and Antelope.
I was just on a trip first week of October with my daughter above tree line. Temp stayed just above freezing at night. She had my WM Antelope and the Xtherm. I had my WM Megalite and a Nemo tensor insulated. The first night I was just barely warm enough. I could feel the heat being pulled out below me through the pad. The second night I put my bag and pad in a Bora Bivy and was fine. But I was right on the edge of not having enough r value in my pad. I would also consider myself a warm sleeper.

Gone4Days

WKR
For sleeping warm your pad is just as important as your bag because your bag is compressed under your body weight and you lose all insulation underneath you. You can buy the warmest bag on the market but if
your pad sucks you can still get cold.

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
I use a big Agnes axl air. Wish I would have gotten the wide. Theres better but they’re cheaper now (maybe discontinued) and you’ll be good to zero or less with a good bag. There about $200

sargent

WKR
I've had good luck with the X-lite down to 0 degrees or a little under. When it's really cold, I pair it with a 1/8" foam pad. The extra thermal break really seems to help. If you're not too tall, the women's x-lite is the same weight, but with a higher R-value.

shanny28757

Lil-Rokslider
I've used multiple pads in the 3-4.5 R-value range over the past few years. I always got cold. This year i switched to an X-therm and I'll never use my old pads again - except for summer camping. It was the most comfortable I've ever slept on the mountain.

OP
JLH208

JLH208

WKR
Man I appreciate all the info, hands down I’ll be going xtherm. Especially like the idea of being the toughest pad in addition to warmest.

Man I appreciate all the info, hands down I’ll be going xtherm. Especially like the idea of being the toughest pad in addition to warmest.

If the abundant support of the Xtherm hasn't made you hit "purchase" yet, I'll add my vote in too! I'll also add that I picked up the wide version and that extra 5" of width has been the difference between "this isn't too bad..." to "this is luxury!"

OP
JLH208

JLH208

WKR
If the abundant support of the Xtherm hasn't made you hit "purchase" yet, I'll add my vote in too! I'll also add that I picked up the wide version and that extra 5" of width has been the difference between "this isn't too bad..." to "this is luxury!"

I’ve heard that about the wide version from everyone that has it. Thanks!

I have an Xtherm but never use it unless i'm truck camping. Always been cozy into the upper 20's with Xlite with the right sleeping bag. I haven't little desire to backpack hunt if it's colder than that because it's miserable keeping water liquid and dealing with wet clothes, boots, etc. I'd agree that if you must have one and do plan on frequently sleeping in below freezing temps, the extra $ and weight for xtherm make sense.

Lawnboi

WKR
Xlite and a foam pad. That way your not screwed when your pad pops.

An air pad that fails can and will end a trip. I thought I’d be fine stuffing my cloths under me but ended up freezing my ass off.

Iv used the above combo down to single digits with my versalite.