Budget side sleeper bag/pad ideas?

Prestjd

FNG
I'm headed put to CO for archery season. I have a 10° Viam Quilt and a big Agnes axl pad that I used last September in a tent with a stove and I stayed cold. We shouldn't have needed a stove but it was nice. Lows we're in 30s

I have been looking at El coyote quilts but not sure if a quilt is for me just yet. If I do get a quilt I'm going to them extra fill and long and wide. By then I'm not saving much weight to justify a quilt.

I have read good things about the Nemo kayu 15. I would order a long. I few reviews don't recommend them for a side sleeper but my shoulders are not very broad.

Whatever I decide I must replace my sleeping pad with a higher R value than the big anges axl. I have looked at a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite NXT Sleeping Pad has a 4.5, but open to other suggestions under $200

I'm 5'11", about 165lbs restless side sleeper.

Is it possible to find a new pad and bag under $600 that are light or am I going to wish I would have bought a SG , Wm, etc

Any suggestions are welcomed

Drenalin

WKR
I think the pad is probably your biggest issue/concern. I'd consider going to a warmer pad than the XLite, like a used XTherm or the new XTherm NXT. At that price point, and the small amount of ounces saved, I'd just go with the warmer pad so it's never a concern again. And that additional r-value will be nice in 20s and teens.

On quilts, for me, synthetic insulation just doesn't provide the same warmth as down. Maybe that's in my head, but down just feels warmer. I would advise looking at fill weights of Katabatic and El Coyote quilts for the temp rating you're looking for, and then make sure you get a quilt that matches or exceeds those fill weights. Those two manufacturers are generally pretty true to temp (comfort rated) so that's the standard I measure against.

Quilts can be a bit of a hassle as far as keeping out drafts. It's definitely not for everyone.

I toss and turn all night,thats just my life and I’ve come to just deal with it.Im way better off than alot.I dont sleep good in my bed.
I had bags and finally got a xl quilt.
No better,i say that meaning it was a little more comfortable in warmer conditions but once I needed to close it up i just didn’t like it.Always jacking with it to keep warm.
I’m biting the bullet and going with a western mountaineering semi rectangular bag.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm headed put to CO for archery season. I have a 10° Viam Quilt and a big Agnes axl pad that I used last September in a tent with a stove and I stayed cold. We shouldn't have needed a stove but it was nice. Lows we're in 30s

I have been looking at El coyote quilts but not sure if a quilt is for me just yet. If I do get a quilt I'm going to them extra fill and long and wide. By then I'm not saving much weight to justify a quilt.

I have read good things about the Nemo kayu 15. I would order a long. I few reviews don't recommend them for a side sleeper but my shoulders are not very broad.

Whatever I decide I must replace my sleeping pad with a higher R value than the big anges axl. I have looked at a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite NXT Sleeping Pad has a 4.5, but open to other suggestions under $200

I'm 5'11", about 165lbs restless side sleeper.

Is it possible to find a new pad and bag under $600 that are light or am I going to wish I would have bought a SG , Wm, etc

Any suggestions are welcomed

My customer El coyote XX-Wide x Long, $445, weighed 29 oz. Found BA Insulayed AXL on sale for $100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
Used stone glacier Chilkoot 15° for a little over $400 and then upgrade your pad to an R7 either exped or thermarest. You may end up a little over 600 but I think you’ll be happy with the results. The Chilkoot is long enough for a 6’6” person and has some of the roomiest areas in the shoulders and foot box that I’ve seen in a mummy bag. I also toss and turn a lot and didn’t feel constricted in the Chilkoot.