7.3 R Value Overkill for Year Round Pad?

Jcaff

FNG
I think you’ll be good! I have the same mindset being on a limited budget, one pad that can be used for all conditions!

cck

FNG
I use mine year round and it’s great. Definitely not worth buying a second one with a lower r value. If I’m worried about wear and tear I’ll probably just use my old klymit but I really don’t see me doing that with how comfortable the x therm is

tdcour

FNG
I'm in the same boat here. I've been using a Klymit Insulated Static V. My valve busted on it thanks to my kids so now I'm looking for a new pad. Really had no complaints on the pad other than it was heavy. I get hot at night and this pad mixed with my 0 degree EE Quilt I never really got cold. I did sometimes get hot with it during early season hunts.

I'm leaning towards the xtherm due to durability, but with me sleeping hot I'm a little worried I'll always be hot. I typically only sleep in base layers and socks.

Is it worth going with the newer model? Can find the older models of each for quite a bit off retail.

AdamLewis

FNG
Is it worth going with the newer model? Can find the older models of each for quite a bit off retail.
No experience with the newer model but have spent many many nights on an old one.
If you move around a lot the thing is loud. That doesn't bother me when solo but have gotten complaints from my wife about it, and a few from other guys I have shared a tent with. Other than that it is a spectacular pad.

I sleep hot as well but don't find that the pad makes much difference. For car camping I sleep on a LuxuryMap that has an R of 6, in the summer in the desert, and have no issues.

OP
wannabemtnman

wannabemtnman

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up buying the new Xthern this winter and used it recently for the first time. It is still loud, but less so than the old one. I won't let my buddy set up his tent within 20' of me if he brings his old Xtherm or neoair, as I like to sleep vs hearing someone crush a chip bag all night long.

Jury is still out on this pad after one night, it's not quiet by any means, but it is warm. Will use it a couple more nights to see if it makes the cut or gets put on here for something that doesn't wake me up like a rummaging bear through camp whenever I roll over.

OP
wannabemtnman

wannabemtnman

Lil-Rokslider
@wannabemtnman has your buddy not used his Xtherm very much? I ask because I have 3 Xtherms with nights distributed among them and none of them are 'crinkly' after just a little use.
He only uses the Xtherm with me during rifle season and it's been loud AF the last two seasons, not sure how much he uses it outside of that. Glad to know they improve with time, I'm hopeful the NXT's will also improve after some more zzz's.

I remember seeing a granola forum post saying folks were putting theirs in the dryer or something to take out the crinkle. Obviously research before doing it. I've washed all mine in the bath tub and noticed that took some crinkle out.

I remember seeing a granola forum post saying folks were putting theirs in the dryer or something to take out the crinkle. Obviously research before doing it. I've washed all mine in the bath tub and noticed that took some crinkle out.
Not sure about the drier, but I’ve put Tyvek sheets through the washer multiple times and it quieted them down quite a bit.