Do I Know Enough To Use A Chronograph?

rideold

WKR
I've been reloading for a few years now (30-06 and 6.5CM). To date I have only followed published recipes with the exception of the primer....because, you know, they were hard to find for a while. I have approached the primer change by loading a ladder and stopping at the first pressure signs. At what point in my reloading learning does a chronograph become useful? At what point do I know enough to even use one? Thoughts?

RagnCajn

FNG
Knowing the velocity is always useful. Velocity and pressure are related so if you are getting significantly higher velocities than published data, you could be getting over pressure with little to no evidence on the brass or from the function of the gun.

As far as reloading knowledge needed to use one, I don't know that that even factors in. Chronos provide knowledge that is useful regardless of reloading experience. Even if you weren't reloading they provide useful data you don't otherwise know.

Okie_Poke

FNG
Knowing the velocity is always useful. Velocity and pressure are related so if you are getting significantly higher velocities than published data, you could be getting over pressure with little to no evidence on the brass or from the function of the gun.

As far as reloading knowledge needed to use one, I don't know that that even factors in. Chronos provide knowledge that is useful regardless of reloading experience. Even if you weren't reloading they provide useful data you don't otherwise know.
I agree with this. I rarely go to the range without mine now. But I would caution you against buying the cheapest chronograph you can find just so you have one. I used a Caldwell with bunny ears for years. It worked---most of the time---but it was finicky about how it was set up and lighting conditions and it wasn't super repeatable. It missed a lot of shots and I often wondered if it was giving me accurate data. If you can't spring for a magnetospeed or one of the new doppler chronographs, I'd just wait until you can. I now have the Garmin and love the thing, but it's definitely spendy.