DIY antler mount plaque?

a3dhunter

WKR
Don't know if any of you guys do your own antler mounts but if you do, what are you using for your plaques?

I've managed to do a few before, using the cheap wall mount plaques, but was looking for a little better look for my archery bull from last year.
Please post up pictures and links of your deer and elk antler mounts if you have them.

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
aba4y6y3.jpg

Looking to mount this on something....

Rocky

WKR
I use particle board, foam, fix all and leather. After it is wrapped i attach it to a nice finished piece of wood. When fitting the skull plate you want the horns as close to the wall as possible. If they arent when you finish the plaque the antlers will look like they are leaning forward. i'll try to find som pics of plaques I have done.

Mckinnon

WKR
You can buy some nice slabs of 1/2" hardwood or pine, then cut them to whatever shape you want, then stain to your liking. I also like to stop route and did that on a shield shape I made for another mount. I like this because I can create whatever shape I like, as well as color, with pretty basic tools... This is the one I made most recently out of a nice piece of oak.

garrickt

Lil-Rokslider
I made this a few years back. 8 pt form Sauk Co. Wisconsin. The plague the antlers are on is the shape of Sauk Co and the other is (obviously) Wisconsin. The wood is walnut.

Attachments

• DSCF0310 (640x478).jpg
    DSCF0310 (640x478).jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 81

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Coolest plaque ive ever seen was mounted on thin slice of log with the bark still on. Wish i had a picture it was cut down by the roots so it wasnt really round guess you would have seen it sorry

Rocky

WKR
Another place to get plaques is research manikins or mckenzie taxidermy supply but it is cheaper if you can find someone that makes them.

bigmoose

WKR
I've done quite a few over the years. Most were made out of pine but these two finished ones are from a old mahogany table top. I've used the larger size plague on elk but thought it would be stronger with a 2 inch thick plaque. Nobody has returned one that has broke but 1 inch thick is probably marginal on a elk, especially a large bull.

I cut them out with a band saw and router the edges, then sand and stain them, and then finish with a clear coat or two. Lots of work but I think they look nice. The best part is that I have not charged anyone! Ha!

Moose

Attachments

• IMG_1033.jpg
    IMG_1033.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1034.jpg
    IMG_1034.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1035.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 45
OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
picture:
I took the liberty of blocking out some info on the plaque, they did a great job on the etching with what I wanted on there.
Shipping time was excellent, and they had to me in less than a week.

Attachments

• for forums pictures.jpg
    for forums pictures.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 45
I'm glad I could help. They are great to deal with and put out a great product. The mount looks good! All your buddies will be buggin you to do one for them!

littlebuf

Banned
heres mine form last year. turned out really cool I think. birds eye burl off a maple tree. way I mounted the skull I can change it out with another one with out even taking it off the wall too, thought that was pretty slick

Attachments

• antler plauqe 001.jpg
    antler plauqe 001.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 34
  • antler plauqe 002.jpg
    antler plauqe 002.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 31
  • antler plauqe 003.jpg
    antler plauqe 003.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 27

littlebuf

Banned
I wish the birds eyes showed better in the pic. it actually doesn't do it justice. really pretty burl