Disingenuous company reviews

crich

WKR
So I left a luke warm but very constructive and tactful review of a stock that I recently purchased in which I gave 3 stars. I happened to be back on their website a few weeks later and noticed that my review had not made it on their site. I then noticed that there was not one review posted on their website that was less than 4 stars and the vast majority were 5 stars of course. This got me thinking about how many companies spam your email for feedback and then cherry pick the reviews that make it to the items web page. Sure enough I found several other companies in the "industry" that exhibited the same type of thing. Surely I cant be the only one that thought this stock was less than impressive. I think few people are naive enough to rely solely on website reviews before buying a product but why even have the shit on their if youre going to fudge the numbers!? Small fish I know but it really irritates me that companies go to such lengths to be sly and pump up their product.

Rant over... 😑

It depends if it is a review or feedback.

If it is framed as feedback then it is for internal use to better serve the customer and maybe use as promotional material. If it is a true review it should be published if they ask you to fill it out.

jpmulk

WKR
Not to get too deep here but its just a reflection of modern america. And its a repeated cycle of previous empires. We started with values built on honor, hard work, doing what is right. Are values now as a nation are more about climbing the ladder, personal comfort, money, and power. Hence, we are entering the age of decline. Listen to the Fate of Empires on youtube. I forget the name of the guy who wrote it but its downright creepy to listen too when you realize where we are on the timeline for an empire.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
Capitalism. You expected a company to self-publish negative information about one of its products? Even third party sources need to be verified/cross referenced my dude, nobody engaged in selling things is going to torpedo their own sales. Even before the internet came around, can you think of a single store that advertised "people think our products are mediocre, come buy them!" Or TV/radio/catalog ads listing "your neighbor gave this product 3 out of 5 stars, good enough for them, good enough for you"? Sales has always been about trying to make the product seem great, even if it isn't.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I would call that a lack of candor and put it on the level of lying. Don't want bad reviews, then don't have a review section. It makes me less inclined to buy anything from a company because it says they don't care about their customers, only extracting money from schmucks.

TheTone

WKR
My “favorites” are the five stars that clearly show the person hasn’t actually used the product only taken it out of the package and also the ones from people paid to endorse the product. I think my favorite ever was in a magazine from a huntress regarding a new backpack. She gave it a glowing review but the meat of the article was basically stuff copied off the company website and it was very clear she hadn’t actually used it

CorbLand

WKR
My “favorites” are the five stars that clearly show the person hasn’t actually used the product only taken it out of the package and also the ones from people paid to endorse the product. I think my favorite ever was in a magazine from a huntress regarding a new backpack. She gave it a glowing review but the meat of the article was basically stuff copied off the company website and it was very clear she hadn’t actually used it
I like the ones where they rate it low because of something outside of the companies control.

"The product is great, works better than expected but UPS lost it 6 times and it took 10 days to get to me. 1 star"

ODB

WKR
Capitalism. You expected a company to self-publish negative information about one of its products? Even third party sources need to be verified/cross referenced my dude, nobody engaged in selling things is going to torpedo their own sales. Even before the internet came around, can you think of a single store that advertised "people think our products are mediocre, come buy them!" Or TV/radio/catalog ads listing "your neighbor gave this product 3 out of 5 stars, good enough for them, good enough for you"? Sales has always been about trying to make the product seem great, even if it isn't.

A reductive comment. Disingenuousness is not an inherent component of capitalism. It is due to a lack of morals/ethics. Same as greed.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
It's called late-stage capitalism.

You'll worship the golden calf or be called a communist. So here we are, living with cash as the only higher power, morality and society mean nothing.

tony

WKR
Anybody ever get a “warning” from Amazon about a product review?
Happened to me about a book I reviewed.
Book where the author exposed a lot of covid misinformation
I left a positive review and recommend the book.
Amazon sent me a canned email stating my review did not meet their requirements and pulled it. WTF? All the reviews were pretty much positive
Went in to say they would end my prime membership if I did it again