Independent Gear Reviews

I tend to read threads/comments on Rokslide and Sniper's Hide. My general rule is if there's a seemingly overwhelming consensus something is good, get it. People on forums will argue about literally anything so if 90%+ of people agree on something that's a pretty good indication.
This is where I totally disagree. Look at the trends on here, SH, LRH, LRO, etc. 90% of forum posters agree with whatever the forum hero/hero's like. If someone doesn't agree all the followers make it so unappealing that the 10% move on.

Is there any good place that does truly independent gear/equipment reviews? It seems like the more you hear the more you realize that the majority of reviewers are somehow connected to the company they're reviewing (free gear/swag, cash, paid trips, whatever), just looking to get honest, unbiased reviews, if that's even possible. (For example, from what I can gather, Exo Mt Gear podcast are not sponsored, so -- in theory -- they can be independent in their evaluations.)
I like GRITTY on YouTube, the have a few sponsors but overall I think they are really honest.

This is where I totally disagree. Look at the trends on here, SH, LRH, LRO, etc. 90% of forum posters agree with whatever the forum hero/hero's like. If someone doesn't agree all the followers make it so unappealing that the 10% move on.
That's less prevalent on SH to be honest but I'm aware of that in regards to optics here and take it into account. The only optics brands that get laughed out of any discussion on SH are IOR, lower price Vortex stuff, and most Leupold. And for suppressors probably Q since KB is a gigantic asshole that spent years trashing TBAC which everyone over there loves (me included).

I'm talking brands that no one really has much bad to say about though like RRS or TBAC.

It's everything here. If certain people or companies use/recommend/produce something its the #1 thing since God designed the 6.5 Creedmoor.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Weak minded souls that deserve our pity if they leave.

There are many that don’t drink the koolaid. People need to learn to disagree and not treat this like black and white. Learn to take what celebrities say with a grain of salt and not take it personally. I disagree with some of his conclusions, but it’s not like they matter.

I won’t buy a Tikka, I think the Rokstock is weird. I won’t shoot .223. I run dangerous Rem 700 triggers. And, I love my MK5 that might spontaneously lose zero.

I am like an anti Form I guess… but I also agree with most of what he says, and realize I can make my own decisions and still use the awesome stuff he says to inform my decisions. I do the same with Frank and the other forum celebrities. There are enough places for someone to find their place.

There is concensus among those groups, it does have value because heaven knows they disagree about all sorts of other stuff.

There are many others like me here.

There is a way to filter and find good information.

I won’t buy a Tikka. I run dangerous Rem 700 triggers.
For me the Tikka and R700 triggers thing are related. I shoot two stage triggers and Tikkas don't have the same selection of them as R700. I'm seriously debating buying a KRG Midas just for whenever I do end up buying my own T3 (or maybe I'll just put it in my T1X rimfire). They're just very hard to get ahold of since they're never in stock anywhere.

Edit: Apparently it only goes down to 2.5 pounds minimum which is a bit heavier than I like. That kind of sucks.

I am like an anti Form I guess… but I also agree with most of what he says, and realize I can make my own decisions and still use the awesome stuff he says to inform my decisions. I do the same with Frank and the other forum celebrities. There are enough places for someone to find their place.
I kind of just have areas of their insight that I care about and take into account. I aggregate that from several different useful sources and that helps form my opinion. DLO is the only source I really care about when it comes to "glass" in riflescopes since he actually knows what he's talking about. Form is good for the drop testing stuff and durability standpoint to supplement that. Frank has some cool insights from teaching hundreds of people every year and being around (and helping steer) precision rifle shooting for decades.

Last edited: