Buying Used Glass

Morlanb3

FNG
Just curious if anyone has bought glass off of Rokslide and whether overall their experience was good, where the items represented truthfully and ultimately did they feel it was worth it to buy used? I noticed some of the optics like binoculars seem to be on the forum for months , items like NL Pure's or SLC's , I was kind of surprised to see that, and wondered if I was missing some potential issue?

Xycod

Lil-Rokslider
It’s all I buy most of the time, you’ll save $100’s to even over a $1000 sometimes over the marked up prices of new. Anything worth having has the warranty to back up any possibly issues. The only thing to look out for buying used would be some loser scammer. Always check history/feedback, check names, and maybe get some references if possible.

Wheels

WKR
Just curious if anyone has bought glass off of Rokslide and whether overall their experience was good, where the items represented truthfully and ultimately did they feel it was worth it to buy used? I noticed some of the optics like binoculars seem to be on the forum for months , items like NL Pure's or SLC's , I was kind of surprised to see that, and wondered if I was missing some potential issue?
It seems like certain times of the year are better than others for selling optics, which is why you may see things seem stagnant for awhile. Once people draw their tags, then the buying begins.
Some good deals to be had here, just have to be patient and don't be afraid to attempt to negotiate with the seller.

Crusader

WKR
It’s all I buy most of the time, you’ll save $100’s to even over a $1000 sometimes over the marked up prices of new. Anything worth having has the warranty to back up any possibly issues. The only thing to look out for buying used would be some loser scammer. Always check history/feedback, check names, and maybe get some references if possible.
How do you check history/feedback?

I agree. However, I am wondering if all high end optic companies allow transfer of warranty to the new owner if they are sold. I guess the best thing, in addition to checking out the feedback on the seller, do a quick check on the optic's website to see if it is a transferable warranty.

If you can't find the item you want new at reputable dealer, consider the cost of having to ship them to the company for repair if necessary. These days, the cost (shipping and insurance), plus the down time might not make it worthwhile (my opinion only).

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
The person who posted the ad should have information under their profile picture like this:Screen Shot 2024-03-17 at 09.08.58.png

You can see they've had 39 positive feedback from sales/transactions and how long they've been a member. You can also click on their profile and there is a tab titled "Feedback Stats" where people can leave comments after buying/selling

TagEater

Lil-Rokslider
Do whatever you need to feel comfortable. Ask for more pictures or a video.
Most folks around here avoid using the purchase protection on PayPal, but for some of these higher dollar purchases it makes sense

I bought a 15 or so year old swaro spotter and it was a good deal. I also bought a used SWFA rifle scope and it was also a good deal.

I consider those to be low risk purchases because manufacturer repair/replacement is pretty easy with either.

I’ve also sold a riflescope that I knew to be in good condition for a good price so I didn’t worry about the purchaser being unhappy.

Rich M

WKR
If it is priced right will sell quickly. I’d rather buy new if only gonna save 10-15% off new.

Not everyone sells a lot to have high ratings. I sell stuff infrequently, no one rates me. LoL!

Weldor

WKR
I bought several optics on Rokslide, all have been s described. I think alot of the high end stuff is outfitters or guides dumping last years gear for the new stuff. I have several friends that are guides and get a good discount on optics, and they all sell them off after the season. Not saying everyone does, but it's common.

I think used is good if you have a good idea who you are buying from is legit. I only buy used optics if the brand has a lifetime warranty regardless if I am the original purchaser. I haven't used rokslide classified but I have purchased used optics from known sellers on other forums. That said I wouldn't buy used to save 10% On a $300 item. Only you can put a limit on the size purchase you are comfortable with online from a forum. Personally I can lose $500 without slitting my wrist. Losing over $1000 might aggravate my delicate condition.

Luked

WKR
I have bought 2 sets of Binos from the classifieds here and never once had an issue.
Both pair looked as new
big savings also.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
I bought used binos here. Got a great deal and everything was smooth.

JGTWI

WKR
I’ve bough and sold quite a bit on the forum over the years. Have not had a bad experience to date. I usually use PayPal F&F, but have used G&S for a few higher cost items and from sellers who have not been on the forum long. My one self-imposed rule is that I won’t buy from FNG’s, just seems like too big a risk of getting scammed.
I genuinely believe most active people of the forum are trustworthy and operating in good faith.

schmalzy

WKR
I’ve bought multiple high end optics, most notably Zeiss Victory SFs and a Swaro Ats 65hd. Both were great deals and the seller on each was great to work with. Like anything else, do your homework and if something seems off walk on the deal. That being said, extremely happy with how mine went and made having high end optics a realistic choice for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk