American flags

Over the last couple years I've noticed a trend of people flying American flags that are not red, white and blue and often plastered with all sorts of logos. At first I didn’t think much of it but now it’s starting to bother me. Some are supporting good things such as our veterans or police force but some are just plain stupid. I think the American flag should not be defaced with skull and crossbones or any other nonsense. If you want to fly a flag supporting a different cause or group that’s fine. Just don’t put it on top of our Stars and Stripes. Wondering what other folks think..

Geewhiz

WKR
I concur. I'd be curious how others feel, but I dont even think veterans and police should be on the American flag. Dont get me wrong I very much respect and appreciate what they do/have done for us and me personally, but I feel that the american flag is and should be held sacred as it is.

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll give a dissenting opinion, I think the whole point of the flag is you are free to do whatever you wish (within reason).

I view it as a way to both display your patriotism while also showing some personality. In other circumstances, I.e. I saw a brown and black flag that I liked on a hat, I think that’s just a flat out cool design that also represents pride in America.

There are situations where it is done distasteful, but as a whole I’m all for it (and may even have a beanie or two with the flag made out of bucks and ducks).

Squincher

WKR
I’ll give a dissenting opinion, I think the whole point of the flag is you are free to do whatever you wish (within reason).

I view it as a way to both display your patriotism while also showing some personality. In other circumstances, I.e. I saw a brown and black flag that I liked on a hat, I think that’s just a flat out cool design that also represents pride in America.

There are situations where it is done distasteful, but as a whole I’m all for it (and may even have a beanie or two with the flag made out of bucks and ducks).

One of those things is actually important; the other, not so much.

mi650

WKR
I fly the Betsy Ross flag, have for years.

I have a distressed/battle worn Betsy Ross that a buddy gave me that hangs in my garage. Disrespectful? I've never thought it was. I also have a Gadsden and a 3% with a George Washington quote on the white stripes in there.

As a younger veteran:

even-though-christmas-is-still-months-away-i-just-thought-i-v0-y5c0tgns0psb1.jpg

Yoder

WKR
I don't mind the blue, red. green line flags that support the military and first responders. A neighbor a few houses down flys one with a peace symbol replacing the stars that makes me want to throw up in my mouth.

The only flag that I don't understand and I look at like someone flying a swastika is the alphabet flag.

Title 4, Ch 1, Sec 8.g.

Read it and know it if you are true patriot. Pisses me off to no end, the amount of disrespect and ignorance the "True Patriots" show for the flag.

I have refused to accept so many gifted shirts, or buy a shirt because of it having a flag printed on it somewhere. I refuse to wear my fire departments work shirt since they decided to put a flag on the sleeve.

SWOHTR

WKR
One of the greatest challenges is to understand, stand, and defend the Constitution even when the Constitution allows for the apparent desecration of those thoughts and symbols we hold so dearly.

"In her own good land here she's been abused. She's been burned, dishonored, denied, refused. And the Government for which she stands has been scandalized throughout the land."

Now for my personal opinion, the flag should be left alone. The thing that bothers me the most is when athletes wear it (I'm looking at you, Olympians...).

Our generation has forgotten the purpose and usefulness of symbols, and so we show disrespect to the symbol of our nation. The flag code is meant to instill a sense of respect for the founding principles of the Bill of Rights and the Constitution by showing respect for the symbol of those principles. It has also come to represent the sacrifice of those who have fought to preserve those ideals.

I don't agree with adding anything to the United States Flag. If you want to associate your group or ideas with those of the United States, just fly your flag along side the stars and stripes, not on top of or above it.

I do not like to see displays of disrespect for the flag because to me it means that person does not respect the principles of our nation. I just don't think spitting on or burning that symbol is a productive way to show displeasure with certain action, policies, or laws currently enacted in the country.

Do we as a country always live up to our founding principles? No, but you can protest and pursue changes without disrespecting the underlying principles that I think most people still believe in. It seems to me that most protesting occurs when people feel like the rights and values represented by the flag have been infringed so it doesn't make much sense to me to destroy the symbol of the very thing you are trying to protect under the pretense of exercising the very rights symbolized by the thing you destroyed.

OP
Hunt eat repeat
Our generation has forgotten the purpose and usefulness of symbols, and so we show disrespect to the symbol of our nation. The flag code is meant to instill a sense of respect for the founding principles of the Bill of Rights and the Constitution by showing respect for the symbol of those principles. It has also come to represent the sacrifice of those who have fought to preserve those ideals.

I don't agree with adding anything to the United States Flag. If you want to associate your group or ideas with those of the United States, just fly your flag along side the stars and stripes, not on top of or above it.

I do not like to see displays of disrespect for the flag because to me it means that person does not respect the principles of our nation. I just don't think spitting on or burning that symbol is a productive way to show displeasure with certain action, policies, or laws currently enacted in the country.

Do we as a country always live up to our founding principles? No, but you can protest and pursue changes without disrespecting the underlying principles that I think most people still believe in. It seems to me that most protesting occurs when people feel like the rights and values represented by the flag have been infringed so it doesn't make much sense to me to destroy the symbol of the very thing you are trying to protect under the pretense of exercising the very rights symbolized by the thing you destroyed.
Amen