Discounted shipping rates, easy to use

A HUGE thanks to the OP for starting this thread and telling us about pirateship.com.

Here's my experience with shipping an eBay item this past Saturday.

It's a small dollar item and in a padded Amazon envelope (13"Lx10"Wx1"H) and it weighed 6 oz.

I went to my local UPS store to ship it (via the USPS) as that's what I've always done since it's really convenient and shipping costs have not been too bad when my time is taken into account.

Anyhoo, UPS wanted $8.65 to ship this package from AZ to WA. The USPS Post Office (3 miles away vs. the UPS store at 1/2 mile). The nice UPS store employee told me the PO will be a little cheaper so let's say $7.50. Still a lot to ship a sub $15 item.

As I was thinking that $8.65 was high and not wanting to deal with the PO to save at most two dollars, I remembered this thread and decided to come home and try pirateship.com.

Well folks, here's the skinny: I created an account and shipped the item via the USPS (with tracking; delivered yesterday) for $3.88. I was gobsmacked. Truly gobsmacked as our friends across the pond say.

Thanks again to the OP and it sure saved me a few bucks my first time using it.

Eddie
Similar experience for me, except I sold a backpack here on RS and USPS wanted something like $45 to send it, UPS came in at around $65 or something silly going from Texas to Washington. The buyer actually told me about PirateShip.com and I signed up, think it was $18 or so through them. I learned a lesson that day.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks pods8. I'll ask about that the next time I'm there, but the shipper did not ask me about value so I assumed (I know, I know :D) none given my $8.50 shipping quote.

Eddie
The $8.5 aligns with priority mail rates for something light and includes $50 of insurance as a baseline in the service (not saying its easy to file a claim or anything but technically that package is guaranteed while first class service is they'll do their best ;) ).

If you need to insure a package you can declare an increased value and pay the increased fees.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to try this Pirateship on a sleeping bag but reading the comments about insured vs unisured made me laugh. USPS insurance is about as worthless as wet toilet paper IMHO. 😁

Broomd

WKR
Quick question guys....I'm assuming I can have a parcel picked up elsewhere via Pirateshp and shipped to my home, agreed?

I just bought a Tundra skidplate in California and want to ship it home.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
Quick question guys....I'm assuming I can have a parcel picked up elsewhere via Pirateshp and shipped to my home, agreed?

I just bought a Tundra skidplate in California and want to ship it home
You have to print the label and send it to the seller but I don't see why not. FWIW the sleeping bag I need to ship was $24 UPS ground. The sight said standard shipping without Pirateship was $44 but I have no way to confirm that easily. I'm just going to drop it off at the UPS store this morning.

Broomd

WKR
I saved 50-55% with Pirateship.

Just finished my order and UPS wanted $267 to ship a large, heavy skidplate snail ground, USPS wanted about $285. Pirateship was $137.

Still expensive, but it just goes to show how bad UPS and USPS gouge everyone.

Thanks for the heads on this guys!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if I will need dim charges with a 35x22x4 box? The label used that it came with said 13lbs. Would I be good with just using 13lbs to ship it back or would I need to factor in dim charges? I don’t have a shipping scale to weigh it.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
Just a heads up guys. Apparently Pirateship thinks it's ok to "adjust" what you paid a week after the package was delivered. FWIW the package I shipped was less than the dimensions listed and was under 4 lbs (down sleeping bag).
1663071282004.png

OP
S
I’ve shipped hundreds of items on there and only had the issue twice and it was because I was not factual in the weights and sizes I listed the items for. I have saved hundreds of dollars on the discount and also in gas not driving to usps and ups. Wish I would of started using it sooner.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve shipped hundreds of items on there and only had the issue twice and it was because I was not factual in the weights and sizes I listed the items for. I have saved hundreds of dollars on the discount and also in gas not driving to usps and ups. Wish I would of started using it sooner.
I actually over estimated on size and weight when I shipped it, so that's BS. Either way, it's a one and done for me. I didn't realize when you use them you are giving them automatic payment access to your account. It's not that $3 is going to break my account, it's the principle. If they had quoted me the $26 originally I'd have been fine with it. Glad you are happy with them.

Quick bump up for Pirate ship. I just shipped 7 different packages and saved over 40$ combined. Really easy to use and highly recommend it anyone shipping something. Nice to have UPS and USPS rates on one site with a nice discount built in.