Disappointed in OnX

Jethro

WKR
@robby denning, I played with the waypoint sharing without service last night with iphone. Should work as long as the 2 phones are close enough for air drop.

For example if you want to share a waypoint with your buddy (who is right there with you) but have no cell or wifi.

Tap on your waypoint
Take a screen shot of the waypoint overview page which shows name and coordinates.
Now you can air drop screen shot.

Your buddy can now highlight the coordinates in screen shot and click copy.
He then opens OnX, click on search, and paste the coordinates in search bar.
Hit enter and waypoint should show up for him right where you want it to be.

Give it a try. I'm not a huge air dropper, so I don't have much experience with it. But I think it will work for what you want.

9C907FA5-D086-4908-9510-47BAD815E733.jpeg9765EB90-843E-48AB-BD38-CBD87D962F1E.png

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@robby denning, I played with the waypoint sharing without service last night with iphone. Should work as long as the 2 phones are close enough for air drop.

For example if you want to share a waypoint with your buddy (who is right there with you) but have no cell or wifi.

Tap on your waypoint
Take a screen shot of the waypoint overview page which shows name and coordinates.
Now you can air drop screen shot.

Your buddy can now highlight the coordinates in screen shot and click copy.
He then opens OnX, click on search, and paste the coordinates in search bar.
Hit enter and waypoint should show up for him right where you want it to be.

Give it a try. I'm not a huge air dropper, so I don't have much experience with it. But I think it will work for what you want.

View attachment 503573View attachment 503579
Hey this is helpful. I forgot that iPhone allows you to copy text from an image…was thinking it would have to copy from a doc like Notes.
Good deal!

onX, member tip for you above lol

King12

FNG
I’ve had onx mess on me a couple times. Instead of facing the way I was pointing. It was pointed the opposite direction… luckily I knew where I was

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had onx mess on me a couple times. Instead of facing the way I was pointing. It was pointed the opposite direction… luckily I knew where I was
Most commonly, this is an issue with the internal compass in your device. IF you're on an iPhone, you can recalibrate your compass by going into your Settings> Privacy & Security> Location Services> System Services> and toggling the Compass Calibration switch. You can also verify if the issue is with your device compass, or the onX App by pulling up your compass App and comparing it to onX. They should be matching as onX determines what direction you are facing by pinging your device's compass.

bsnedeker

WKR
A BIG THANK YOU AND SHOUT OUT TO ONX!

After years of asking for it, my newest update gave me an option for an "update all" to my downloaded maps, android platform.

It's the simple things in life while sipping the morning coffee that make me smile!

Thank you ONX.
It's about time! Now if they can just figure out how to let me download whatever size of maps I want to and not have to download 100 tiny little maps they will actually have the offline stuff figured out!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Grundy53

WKR
A BIG THANK YOU AND SHOUT OUT TO ONX!

After years of asking for it, my newest update gave me an option for an "update all" to my downloaded maps, android platform.

It's the simple things in life while sipping the morning coffee that make me smile!

Thank you ONX.
Yes! Thank you!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

WyoKid

WKR
Nice to see OnX on here answering questions, taking feedback, and making improvements!

I've tried OnX twice (1 year each), plus Gaia and GoHunt over the last 5 years. Here's the list of things that keep taking me back to Gaia:

1. OnX is not great for planning hikes, Gaia has much, much more advanced hike planning tools. Since most of my western hunting is really similar to hiking, being able to see the elevation change and predict travel times on a planned route or line that I draw is critical.
2. the android auto compatibility of Gaia is also fantastic for driving, to my knowledge there is not an equivalent capability in OnX hunt.
3. It is also easier to determine the status of a road in Gaia, i.e. who is allowed to drive on it? I've hunted in many areas where the OnX roads on the map were not drivable for various reasons. The Gaia links to the MVUM info is more reliable.
4. Custom map sizes for offline maps. Gaia lets me select whatever rectangle I want and save it as a map at whatever level of detail I want. No need to overlap a bunch of small maps to get the highest resolution.

Making these tweaks would definitely impact my subscription decision.
+ 1 for GAIA. Similar experience with trying them all several times over the years but returned to GAIA 4 seasons ago and haven't looked back. Happy with the various layers, off-line use and reasonable price

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
I have onX, but I also downloaded a free compass app. Always know direction I am looking or going. Probably only works if there is a cell signal.....? Not sure about that.