Disappointed in OnX

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
A few more tips- Can you please revamp/improve your LiveMap feature? I tried to use it with my buddy and it was really a pain when we were planning our elk hunt this year.

-It took about 20 min to get all set up and have him live.
-None of my lines/waypoints were showing on his map which kind of negates the whole point.
-If I moved the map it did not move on his side so we constantly got lost trying to plan together.

I would suggest making the map more like a Google docs share where you can request control of the map panning and actually have the map be interactive together. Maybe even make it so I can see his pointer and vice versa. We ended up having to do facetime on our phones and point the phone at the computer screens.
That is very useful feedback that I will make sure to pass along to the folks in charge of that aspect of the program so that they can make improvements to the next iteration of the feature. Please don't hesitate to pass along other suggestions for improvements that you have!

Nice to see OnX on here answering questions, taking feedback, and making improvements!

I've tried OnX twice (1 year each), plus Gaia and GoHunt over the last 5 years. Here's the list of things that keep taking me back to Gaia:

1. OnX is not great for planning hikes, Gaia has much, much more advanced hike planning tools. Since most of my western hunting is really similar to hiking, being able to see the elevation change and predict travel times on a planned route or line that I draw is critical.
2. the android auto compatibility of Gaia is also fantastic for driving, to my knowledge there is not an equivalent capability in OnX hunt.
3. It is also easier to determine the status of a road in Gaia, i.e. who is allowed to drive on it? I've hunted in many areas where the OnX roads on the map were not drivable for various reasons. The Gaia links to the MVUM info is more reliable.
4. Custom map sizes for offline maps. Gaia lets me select whatever rectangle I want and save it as a map at whatever level of detail I want. No need to overlap a bunch of small maps to get the highest resolution.

Making these tweaks would definitely impact my subscription decision.

Last edited:
That is very useful feedback that I will make sure to pass along to the folks in charge of that aspect of the program so that they can make improvements to the next iteration of the feature. Please don't hesitate to pass along other suggestions for improvements that you have!

Sounds good. The only other thing I would suggest is putting some kind of compass overlay or icon on the map with direction and degrees. I typically like to use OnX as a reference point to check periodically and if I can use the program to get my bearing then follow it with a compass I dont have to keep looking at my phone as much and save battery.

c670809

FNG
4. Custom map sizes for offline maps. Gaia lets me select whatever rectangle I want and save it as a map at whatever level of detail I want. No need to overlap a bunch of small maps to get the highest resolution.

I still have an onx subscription but only use it for a back up. They've told me for 3 years they were going to change the way the app handles downloads. They haven't and that's why I use Gaia too.

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Nice to see OnX on here answering questions, taking feedback, and making improvements!

I've tried OnX twice (1 year each), plus Gaia and GoHunt over the last 5 years. Here's the list of things that keep taking me back to Gaia:

1. OnX is not great for planning hikes, Gaia has much, much more advanced hike planning tools. Since most of my western hunting is really similar to hiking, being able to see the elevation change and predict travel times on a planned route or line that I draw is critical.
2. the android auto compatibility of Gaia is also fantastic for driving, to my knowledge there is not an equivalent capability in OnX hunt.
3. It is also easier to determine the status of a road in Gaia, i.e. who is allowed to drive on it? I've hunted in many areas where the OnX roads on the map were not drivable for various reasons. The Gaia links to the MVUM info is more reliable.

Thank you for the feedback! I will be sure to pass that along to the appropriate folks over here.

bsnedeker

WKR
I still have an onx subscription but only use it for a back up. They've told me for 3 years they were going to change the way the app handles downloads. They haven't and that's why I use Gaia too.
Oh, and don't forget that you have to update EVERY offline map individually every single time Onx does any kind of app update, and if you don't your offline maps barely function! This process takes me over an hour and I have to do it before every trip out...absolutely absurd.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

OP
MuleyFever

This really surprised me with OnX. I wanted to download part of my unit but my choices were a detailed map of 25% of the hunt area or an area 25% too big at low resolution.

"Oh, and don't forget that you have to update EVERY offline map individually every single time Onx does any kind of app update"

I spoke to ONX this week about this very thing. The gent i spoke with assured me that a future update is coming for Android which permits a one button update push to update all maps. One of my biggest complaints for years.

I've yet to find a perfect mapping system. I've used Onx, Basemaps, GoHunt, GAIA and a few others. I've kept OnX and GAIA. I like to metal detect and the historic maps on GAIA can be helpful but I'm not a huge fan of their layering system. GoHunt was ok, but offline was sketchy and the quality of aerials was not as good as ONX to my eye.

ONX seems to be most universal for my hunting buddies that invest in a mapping system. But i keep GAIA as a backup.

Heck, i still pack a paper map, pocket compass, abd orienteering compass. Used them all at various times.

If a proven better product comes along for my uses, I'll jump. Until then, ONX will be my main go to.

I'll also say, I like their Customer Service as well. When i have an issue they are prompt to reply and help. I find that very beneficial as well.

Its mind blowing that they charge a premium for what is, in my opinion and experience, a very substandard product. Things like the map download issues I'd expect from a lesser competitor... how is Gaia better while charging 60% less? Where is this extra money going if its not on product development(judging by the 60% increased budget OnX should be far and away better than Gaia at this point).

This should open peoples eyes as I'm sure part of that is marketing, and the other part is just a straight up "hunting" surcharge as many companies are doing now.

GoatPackr

Lil-Rokslider
I'd like to see an option for a group.
Let's say 2 buds and I are going on an out of state hunt and we end up doing a couple scouting trips. We split up and scout different drainages and find different things like water, wallows or potential camps spots. It would be great to be able to set a zone and any info one of us loads in that zone can be used by the rest of the group. Make it so we can share this info phone to phone without cell signal so when you get back to camp at night everyone can update the group hunt by using the wifi on their phone if cell signal is not available.

Kris

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
I'd like to see an option for a group.
Let's say 2 buds and I are going on an out of state hunt and we end up doing a couple scouting trips. We split up and scout different drainages and find different things like water, wallows or potential camps spots. It would be great to be able to set a zone and any info one of us loads in that zone can be used by the rest of the group. Make it so we can share this info phone to phone without cell signal so when you get back to camp at night everyone can update the group hunt by using the wifi on their phone if cell signal is not available.

Kris
You can already do this exact thing....go into your waypoints, select the ones you want to share (you can probably put them in a folder and just share the whole folder), then click to share them. On my Android I share via "Quick Share"...not sure if that is bluetooth or wifi or something else.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
You can already do this exact thing....go into your waypoints, select the ones you want to share (you can probably put them in a folder and just share the whole folder), then click to share them. On my Android I share via "Quick Share"...not sure if that is bluetooth or wifi or something else.
except he'd need cell service, right?

Jethro

WKR
except he'd need cell service, right?

re-read your post, so is this like Air-drop on an iphone? Cool beans if it works that way.

@onX Hunt say it's so!
Your first thought was correct. Need service or WiFi. Although there is an app that does transfer without service, I’ve never heard of anyone having it.

Sharing by text or air drop requires service or WiFi.

WyoKid

WKR
I know this is about onX, which I did use a few years, as well as Base maps. IMHO the Gaia GPS app is much better. Gaia does not provide hunting statistics or draw odds but it does have layers for all of the state game management units. Never had a problem with losing way points, disappearing layers, or not having accurate GPS information.

bsnedeker

WKR
Your first thought was correct. Need service or WiFi. Although there is an app that does transfer without service, I’ve never heard of anyone having it.

Sharing by text or air drop requires service or WiFi.
Lol....no, you don't. You just need the two phones close to each other. Like I said, on Android it's called Quick Share, I assume it's the same as Air Drop on Iphone. You don't need any service for it to work.

Its mind blowing that they charge a premium for what is, in my opinion and experience, a very substandard product. Things like the map download issues I'd expect from a lesser competitor... how is Gaia better while charging 60% less? Where is this extra money going if its not on product development(judging by the 60% increased budget OnX should be far and away better than Gaia at this point).

This should open peoples eyes as I'm sure part of that is marketing, and the other part is just a straight up "hunting" surcharge as many companies are doing now.

The answer is marketing, and the owners.

And I agree with you. The product has not substantially improved in years. Like YEARS. Someone will eat their lunch eventually.

S.Clancy

WKR
My direction indicator on my OnX doesn't point the correct direction either, not that I would ever trust it even if it did. I always carry a compass, technology can fail.

Jethro

WKR
Lol....no, you don't. You just need the two phones close to each other. Like I said, on Android it's called Quick Share, I assume it's the same as Air Drop on Iphone. You don't need any service for it to work.
You are correct. Just need to have wifi enabled on iphone, not actually connected to wifi service for air drop to work. That said, when I share a waypoint from Onx, iphone does not give me an option to air drop it. Gaia I have air drop as a share option.