Digiscoping???

looking to get a setup for my new ats swarovski spotting scope and was wondering what everyone is using. What do you use/recommend? Are there any to stay away from? I dont really want to spend the $400 swarovski wants so was looking at the Tines Up setup but dont need another camera. Give me your thoughts and ideas.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I stopped using the actual kit and just press the camera up against the eye piece. It's a pain when you film, but when you're just taking photos the additional cost is not worth it...for me anyway.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
huntinfool,

I love digiscoping!!!!

Here is a digiscoped video of a bull I found this past year, he was about 1400 yards away:

[video=youtube;IFQ69p8aBPw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFQ69p8aBPw&list=UU4cRVh7y8Rt6fTQCDfxJaFg&index=4&feature=plcp[/video]

My setup includes a Vortex Razor HD, Sony WX1 point-and-shoot camera, Zeikos universal 37mm thread accessory adapter, and Tines Up video Scope-Cam adapter for the spotter eyepiece.

It seems like I have tried every type of digiscoping adapter, and the Tines Up is the best.

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Sure:

TUDEMO002.jpg

TUDEMO004.jpg

TUDEMO005.jpg

There ya go!!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
hmm, I wonder if they will sell just the adapter. all i can find on their sight is the $300 kit.

They do. It is the Video Scope Cam adapter. I like matching it up with the Zeikos universal adapter's threads, rather than the glued on threads on Tines Up's kit camera. Then I can use the camera I choose. The Zeikos adapter is like $18 on Amazon. Here is the link to the Video ScopeCam ($70):

http://www.tinesup.com/scope_cam.html

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Some digiscoping tips (learned the hard way):

You need a camera with a MAXIMUM zoom of 3x to 5x. If your cameras lens goes higher, you will get too much vignetting (black circle around the image).

With a DSLR, you need a focal length of around 50mm to 80mm (35mm equivalent)to eliminate vignetting, and only some lenses will work.

With video cameras, you need as low as possible of zoom. This is why low-zoom compacts typically get better video than most video cameras.

RyanD

FNG
Good Info Bitterroot! This is the setup I use on my Swaro ATS. Swaro DCA adapter, Nikon P5100 P&S Cam and Nikon UR-E20 Adapter.

Another tip-If you don't have remote control make sure to use the self timer to take the shot.

Attachments

• DSC03196B.jpg
    DSC03196B.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 92
OP
huntinfool84
thanks for all of the info, I got with tines up and they will sell the base and adapter for $100 shipped. just looking at the different route to go now.

7mag.

WKR
I bought a cheap universal adapter at Cabela's for my Swaro spotter. It takes a few minutes to set up, but works pretty good. As already mentioned, keep the zoom down, and use the timer, or a remote. You also need a good tripod to hold up the extra weight of the camera and adapter.

Some digiscoping tips (learned the hard way):

You need a camera with a MAXIMUM zoom of 3x to 5x. If your cameras lens goes higher, you will get too much vignetting (black circle around the image).

With a DSLR, you need a focal length of around 50mm to 80mm (35mm equivalent)to eliminate vignetting, and only some lenses will work.

With video cameras, you need as low as possible of zoom. This is why low-zoom compacts typically get better video than most video cameras.

I am just now looking into digiscoping so I'm afraid I need a little clarification.
I run a Panasonic FZ-35, it has a 18x zoom. Are you saying that I will get the black ring even if I leave it at 5x or lower just due to its zoom capabilities?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, BH, your 18x camera will NOT work for digiscoping. It will vignette until somewhere way up in the zoom (if not vignette throughout the entire zoom). Even if it does remove vignetting somewhere around 16x, the focal length will be so long through the scope that the image will be dim, blurry, and require too long of shutter speeds. Panasonic does make excellent, inexpensive low zoom cameras that work well, however.

Yes, the self timer reduces shake for still photos. Even minor vibrations are amplified, due to the giant focal lengths achieved by digiscoping.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I use a Sony WX1, and it works great. A low-zoom Canon ELPH should work also.

Just about any compact with a max zoom between 3x and 5x will work. It is just getting them rigged up for the adapter than can be a headache. What you can do is buy the inexpensive Zeikos adapter in my pics above, and take it to a camera store. Test out the cameras available, and make sure their lens will fit through the adapter. Choose one between 10MP and 14MP (any higher and you start getting more image noise in a compact camera), with HD video. Then order a 37mm Tines Up Video ScopeCam adapter for your spotter model, and you are ready to go.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I just use the Sony. It takes a nice shot with its 10MP backlit sensor. Good enough for a 12X12 or magazine page.