Digiscoping - Magview vs. Ollin

sndmn11

WKR
Has anyone tried any of these just hand holding binos?
The magview stuff I ordered came and I think it is really cool. I WISH my Google phone would allow the app they have to designate one camera, but because there freedom with the magnet, it's easy to adjust.

Handholding a binocular with the phone attached is stable and easy.

I've had the MagView B1 since Christmas. I've done quite a bit of messing around with it on my NL Pures and here are my $0.02:

Cons:
-Leaving the magnet adaptor on the binos interferes with the view when not digi-scoping. I wear glasses so I have to have the eye cups completely in when using my binos. With the magnet adaptor on the binos the left eye cup sticks out a hair more than the right, thus compromising the clarity/view (for me). To fix this, I simply remove the magnet adaptor and put it in my bino-harness when not digi-scoping.
-Wireless charging is out the window with the metal plate attached to your phone case. To fix this, I ordered a super cheap case off Amazon and use that when hunting.
-Indexing can be hard out of the gate, the more you use it the easier it is to find the sweet spot.

In my limited use/experience with the B1 here what I've found:
1. It's easiest way to index on my binos when the eye cups are backed out to the farthest setting.
2. Using the MagView app when digi-scoping works better than my phone's camera app.
3. Everything works better when your binos are on a tripod. You can freehand it, but it's easier to do things two handed when the binos are on a tripod.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase. It does what I need it to.

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider

Mi_fiveo

WKR
Really leaning towards the Ollin for my Swarovski STS 65 HD and IPhone 14 Pro. I know my phone has three cameras but I’m not sure what each one is for. I know the Ollin case only has one alignment hole for one of the cameras. Is this an issue or concern for anyone that has used one? I would also like to know if the Ollin eyepiece adapter will still fit in the Swarovski SOC when it is installed if anyone knows?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

peterk123

WKR
I know this is a pretty old thread at this time but did you ever do a review on this product?
I use this one with my kowa. It's beautifully made and works flawlessly. I highly recommend this one. I wouldn't consider any other ones on the market at this juncture. Mine gets used a lot.

92xj

WKR
Why would you Have to install an app to take a picture?
because when you zoom on a multi lens phone, when you get over a certain zoom number, the phone switches lenses. You go black on your screen while looking through the digiscope. The phone does not have the ability to lock the camera into only using one of the lenses. An app has that ability.

92xj

WKR
For the folks using the ScopeCamAdaptor, are you using it on binos in landscape orientation and if so, is it holding well out to the side?
I just bought the magview for bino use and I do not love it.

peterk123

WKR
For the folks using the ScopeCamAdaptor, are you using it on binos in landscape orientation and if so, is it holding well out to the side?
I just bought the magview for bino use and I do not love it.
I have done it a few times. No problem.

SuperBoot

FNG
Another question for scopecam users, have you had any issue with more vignetting in your time using it?
It looks like the adapter sits pretty far off the lens of the phone cam since it has to clear the case and protective bezel around the cameras that are on most cases.

That aside it looks like a way better mousetrap than most I’ve seen

Kostrize

WKR
Another question for scopecam users, have you had any issue with more vignetting in your time using it?
It looks like the adapter sits pretty far off the lens of the phone cam since it has to clear the case and protective bezel around the cameras that are on most cases.

That aside it looks like a way better mousetrap than most I’ve seen

I get a lot of vignetting in picture mode. If I switch to video it’s mostly gone though. I’m new to digiscoping so I might be doing something wrong. the attachment of the Phone cam works really well

Question on the ollin. It appears to block the other 4 cameras on phone. Anyone have it on a Samsung Ultra 21? Looks like heading towards the universal mag from scopecam would be my best bet. I hate leaving eye pieces on spotter as well as I do a lot of glassing thru spotter by eye.

Wapiti151

WKR
Just ordered the scope cam adapter after doing more research, this seems like the perfect solution. Good price point, same adapter for all optics and the metal plate for the Mag Plate Adapter is significantly smaller than magview. Shot an email to Reggie there with some questions, and got a response right away.

Will post my initial thoughts after getting it this week

uglymud

FNG
Just got the ollin yesterday and spent just a little time testing it out. Seems to work fairly well, using this on a Swaro ATS. If you're not careful taking your phone off, the magnetic ring on the objective will pull off a bit, messing up your next shot. I'm likely not going to leave the ring on for normal glassing as it goes on and off pretty easy, and their cover is fairly bulky and heavy.

Concerning the phone case, it does block the other cameras on the phone. However, it comes off really quick. For my phone, the case really isn't much bulkier than the otterbox I normally carry. It's just a little bit wider at the mount interface.

The app flat doesn't work with my S23 ultra, but I just use the pro photo mode and lock the camera that way.

These are just my observations from an hour or so of playing with it on the porch.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

dwhicker

FNG
The Ollin for the Swaro ATS fits a Kowa TE-11 eyepiece perfectly. I used mine all season and it works fantastic.

Did the adapter leave marks on your eyepiece? Does glassing with the adapter on inhibit the view at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dwhicker

FNG
Just got the ollin yesterday and spent just a little time testing it out. Seems to work fairly well, using this on a Swaro ATS. If you're not careful taking your phone off, the magnetic ring on the objective will pull off a bit, messing up your next shot. I'm likely not going to leave the ring on for normal glassing as it goes on and off pretty easy, and their cover is fairly bulky and heavy.

Concerning the phone case, it does block the other cameras on the phone. However, it comes off really quick. For my phone, the case really isn't much bulkier than the otterbox I normally carry. It's just a little bit wider at the mount interface.

The app flat doesn't work with my S23 ultra, but I just use the pro photo mode and lock the camera that way.

These are just my observations from an hour or so of playing with it on the porch.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Is the adapter easy to get on and off? Why not leave it on while glassing? Did the adapter leave any marks on your rubber eyepiece?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk