Digiscoping - Magview vs. Ollin

I saw a review with the magview that was letting light in between the camera lens and the eye piece. There was major glare off the eye piece that ruined the pics. The ollin supposedly fixed that issue. Looking at the scopecam has anyone had that issue? It look like it would be fine and wouldn't be an issue.

I would just buy the ollin but I use the flashlight on the phone a lot. I would like to be able to continue using it.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I saw a review with the magview that was letting light in between the camera lens and the eye piece. There was major glare off the eye piece that ruined the pics. The ollin supposedly fixed that issue. Looking at the scopecam has anyone had that issue? It look like it would be fine and wouldn't be an issue.

I would just buy the ollin but I use the flashlight on the phone a lot. I would like to be able to continue using it.
I haven't found this to be a issue, I'll look and see if I replicate this evening.

Might just be the location the cameras are mounted on the phone body

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I'm not as interested in the Magview since it doesn't auto index. I like the Ollin the best on paper if it wasn't for the case covering the light.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not as interested in the Magview since it doesn't auto index. I like the Ollin the best on paper if it wasn't for the case covering the light.
Yes the ollin is nice to "lock" into the right spot every time. For me the odd shape case was a no go for how I carry my phone at work

CorbLand

WKR
I will say that lining up the magview is not hard. Takes some practice and if you use the grid view either on your camera or the app, you can get it right in about 2 seconds.

The thing that really sold me on the magview is the ability to use it with any case I wanted and it’s cheap to replace the metal plate if you get a new phone or case.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will say that lining up the magview is not hard. Takes some practice and if you use the grid view either on your camera or the app, you can get it right in about 2 seconds.

The thing that really sold me on the magview is the ability to use it with any case I wanted and it’s cheap to replace the magnet if you get a new phone or case.
Of course it's not a replaceable magnet, instead a small metal plate on the phone case, as the magnet is in the eye piece

The thing that really sold me on the magview is the ability to use it with any case I wanted and it’s cheap to replace the metal plate if you get a new phone or case.
Between the 3 mentioned in this thread there are definitely different pros/cons.

Here are things I think are pros.
Magview/Scopecam use whatever case you want.
Scopecam/Ollin auto index
Magview/Ollin attach your case to spotter and go.
Scopecam works on any size eyepiece. So I can use it on the ATX/BTX.

Some cons.

Magview did let in light that glared really bad between the camera and eyepiece. I looked for the video but couldn't find it. I believe it was a guide in Utah that showed that.

Scopecam you have to dig out/carry a separate adapter.
Ollin you can't use your light with the case on.
Magview doesn't auto index.
Ollin/Magview have an adapter you leave on the eye piece.

Besides the Scopecam needing an adapter that you carry separate it seems to check the most boxes for me overall.

peterk123

WKR
Between the 3 mentioned in this thread there are definitely different pros/cons.

Some cons.

Magview did let in light that glared really bad between the camera and eyepiece. I looked for the video but couldn't find it. I believe it was a guide in Utah that showed that.

Besides the Scopecam needing an adapter that you carry separate it seems to check the most boxes for me overall.
My scopecam adapter will fit on anything.

68Plexi

WKR
What got me to try the Ollin was the simple indexing and no extra pieces to forget or lose. Previously had the phone Skope and it just had too many pieces and a bulky case.

I don’t mind the Ollin case at all. Still goes in and out of my pocket fine, doesn’t feel like a cheap case and there’s nothing to forget. Some people prefer the magview because they keep their full time case, but you lose magnetic charging so…

The pros and cons of each have been laid out very well here, you’d probably be happy with either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uglymud

FNG
Classified Approved
Is the adapter easy to get on and off? Why not leave it on while glassing? Did the adapter leave any marks on your rubber eyepiece?

Slips on and off almost too easy, can glass with it on fine, but a little more comfortable without and I don't like the big lens cover they use so I just pop it off and put the standard swaro cover on. No marks that I have noticed

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

WJAadams

FNG

Some cons.

Forgive me, but what is “indexing?” I can’t find any relevant info on what this means.

carbon

FNG
Forgive me, but what is “indexing?” I can’t find any relevant info on what this means.
It just means getting your phone on the spotter at 90° (landscape) or 0° (portrait) in a zero fuss sort of way. Ideally, you place the phone on the spotter and it snaps into position and away you go.

AFAIK, just the Ollin has this, and others require different levels of futzing to level out the phone. For me, an easy leveling (indexing) is super super important.

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
I’m down to either Ollin or scope cam adapter. Does the the scope cam adapter leave anything to be desired as it is “universal” instead of specific for your spotter? I have eye glasses and also worry about both adapters messing with my ability to use the spotter without the camera. I don’t want to mess around with indexing.

uglymud

FNG
Classified Approved
I’m down to either Ollin or scope cam adapter. Does the the scope cam adapter leave anything to be desired as it is “universal” instead of specific for your spotter? I have eye glasses and also worry about both adapters messing with my ability to use the spotter without the camera. I don’t want to mess around with indexing.
Concerning the ollin, the ring on the eyepiece comes off easily. I plan to leave it off most of the time and slip it on when I want to take pictures.

dwhicker

FNG
Concerning the ollin, the ring on the eyepiece comes off easily. I plan to leave it off most of the time and slip it on when I want to take pictures.

I thought that I would do the same and that the adapter would bother me or hinder my glassing experience in some way. After trying both ways and going back and forth I found that the eye piece adapter from Ollin doesn’t negatively affect my glassing in any way so now I just leave it on at all times for the sake of convenience. Another reason to keep it on at all times is that the magnetic eyepiece cap is much nicer then the cheap one that comes with most spotting scopes. I’ve been really impressed with the whole system.