Did you miss an animal this year?

WKR
Better than having friend call out range by eye and be way off. Well off by 215 yards. This with range finder in his jacket pocket.
I had this happen a few years back. Exact same deal. After it was done I ranged the spots and the guesses were wild a$$ lol.

I missed a coyote at 740 yds and i missed a cow elk at 530. She stopped again at 575 and I smoked her then.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
Stalked a 4x4 to 17? yards. When I drew he ran off and stopped. Guessed 40. Must have been 50.

MTtrout

WKR
I never thought much about shooting coyotes while actively gun hunting big game but this year I bumped a beautiful rusty coat one and the one shot opportunity he gave I forgot the safety. A few hours later I bummed another and it was running away from me then suddenly cut back in my direction. It disappeared then popped up ~ 50 yards heading full sprint right at me. Guessing it was 20 feet away when I fired and missed. Double doh!

RS3579

WKR
I missed a PA black bear. It’s was trotting along. It was not going to stop.

Traveler

WKR
Didn’t miss a shot but got busted drawing on a whitetail. Archery hunting WT from the ground has low error for margin.

sargent

WKR
On the last day of fall turkey season this year, I hiked 8.5 miles before finding a flock and breaking them up (using three shells in the process) at 3 o'clock. I loaded my last three shells into the shotgun and started calling. I called in and missed turkeys at 3:30, 4:00, and 4:30, cursed a bit, then headed for the truck. My consolation prize was a decent four point shed I found on the way out.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
On the last day of fall turkey season this year, I hiked 8.5 miles before finding a flock and breaking them up (using three shells in the process) at 3 o'clock. I loaded my last three shells into the shotgun and started calling. I called in and missed turkeys at 3:30, 4:00, and 4:30, cursed a bit, then headed for the truck. My consolation prize was a decent four point shed I found on the way out.
Sounds like shooting lessons are in order.:)

83cj-7

WKR
Not exactly a miss, well grossly missed my mark. Had whitetail buck running does during rut . 34 yard shot, he paused and I shot. At shot he whirled into arrows path ( was dogging a doe and started to run her again.) My arrow struck him in head, penetrating skull and into brain cavity dropping him. One of the weirdest hunts I’ve ever had …. I’ll definitely wait next time for a closer shot or pass when they are rutted up and squirrely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve done something similar. 40 yard shot on a deer, at the shot it whipped its head back to either run or look back and my arrow went through its entire head and body! I never knew I could get that kind of penetration from my setup!

I missed a doe with my rifle at 250 yards. The herd ran about 100 yards then started grazing again as if nothing happened. That is the first time I shot at and didn't recover a deer in about a decade.

I suspect I clipped a branch a few feet from my muzzle.

jbax

FNG
I posted this question on another forum and the replies were surprising!

As the topic says… did you miss an animal this year?
It’s okay… it happens to the best. I did.

I shot right under a WT doe at 40 yds during archery season - I thought for sure she would duck at least a little but not this time. Complete miss.
After killing 2 WT doe last year with a recurve I built my first self bow this year. I was shooting 25 arrows a day and grouping so well. I drew into a Traditional only hunt and saw a ton of deer. The only 2 opportunities I had I flat missed. I was dejected! My only other 2 prior opportunities were good, clean and ethical kills. So, I came home and made it happen on a mature WT doe.

oake

Lil-Rokslider
Missed a whitetail buck at around 15 yards arrow was over his back.

The only thing worse than whiffing was my wife setting beside me for her first time on a bow hunt with me. She used to go along quite a bit when I rifle hunted but gives her some ammunition for some well deserved ribbing

mi650

WKR
Not this year, about 20 years ago I had my most embarrassing time in the woods. This was back when I wasn't very picky about what I'd shoot, and at the same time, was a decent shot with a bow. I shot different 3-D courses just about every weekend during the summer.

Anyway, a spike stepped out in front of me at 23 yards. I missed, sailed it over his back. Long story short, over the next hour I missed him 5 more times from 12-27 yards. 😅 I sat down in my treestand, out of arrows, and when he came back again at 10 yards, I debated pulling my pistol!!