Did you miss an animal this year?

Missed a rooster on opening day. Haven't taken a shot at a big game animal yet. Today's my last day for an IA whitetail, and the .35 is ready for the right shot opportunity.

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
I've missed hundreds of times this year! 3 weeks hunting waterfowl in Canada and another 15 days back home here. My shot average is about 33%. I'm into case #7 of shells...I've probably missed 1,000 times this year. Wow I didnt need to see those numbers

I also missed a follow up shot on my elk. But given I hit 3/4 arrows I dont feel bad, it was thick. Probably didn't need to keep shooting he hit the dirt after the first arrow but was squirming around so I keep shooting until I was out of arrows. Never found that missing arrow either

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Missed what may have been my widest buck to date (thankfully not biggest, just widest). Came walking down the trail to me, it was really windy and spitting snow. He stopped behind a pine tree, no shot so had to wait. While behind the pine tree he started acting really squirrelly. He either winded me or cut my track from walking in. I watched him turn 3 different ways and smell up in the air. Finally after what seemed like forever, he started to walk out from behind the pine tree, only to stop and look directly at me.
Our eyes locked, and i luckily had my muzzle loader up on my knees ready to shoot, I slowly eased my head over and looked at him through the scope. Two trees about as big as my leg directly over his shoulder, and another branch came up at an angle that made a V-shape on his neck as the only shot available. I felt it was either thread the needle, or watch him turn and run within seconds.

Needless to say I didn't thread the needle......

KHNC

WKR
Stuck a broadhead in elbow of 320 class bull in Wyoming. 2" penetration or less. Didnt phase him a bit. Circled right back to his cows and headed on out. Bugled for a couple days after but no second chances.

I missed the biggest buck of my life a month ago. I’ve missed 3 book animals in the last 2 years. So I’ll be making a 10hr drive to Denver next weekend for lessons with Tom Clum and Im praying that we can get this handled.

Billogna

Lil-Rokslider
Missed my first chance at a turkey this spring. Finally got in tight to 'em and called him in on a rope, only to be jammed up by a tree to my left where he came into range for a shot! He spooked at me adjusting and I got a shot at him on the run.... clean miss @ 30 yards... I suck!! lol

Billogna

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I was thinking missing big game more-so than birds or frogs or grasshoppers when I started the thread! ;)
In that case it's not me missing the animals... it's them missing me!! I've been there waiting this whole time!

jayhawk

WKR
Yep. Saw a trophy male at last light and tried to get to him in time but couldn’t close the deal and missed him with my truck by about two feet as he darted off the road. Darn possum gave me the slip. Only took 4yrs to draw a tag on that road.
#grindinitoutonpublic

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
I missed a WT doe two evenings ago, rangefinder said 200 but she was at 300 so shot just under her.

Missed a cow elk. Not typically a cow shooter, but she bumped a bull I had coming in at 80 yards on my last day right at last shooting light.
Ranged her at 61. Shot felt good. Backed out the and when back the next day. Standing where she stood had a range to where I shot from at 71. No blood. Never found the arrow, but she was skylined, so likly my arrow went under about 10 inches and into the abis. Went back a week after season, no birds or other.

Next year. Different range finder and lighted nocks

Didn't miss with my bow (one shot, one dead bull elk), but I did miss with my rifle. Rushed a couple shots on a bighorn sheep and missed, but ended up killing my ram the next day, so the pain was short lived :)

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
I shot over the back of a nice 8-10 pt WT buck (would have been my first, not counting a spike) earlier this year due to a lighted nock failure - not sure what happened, it blew up on release, arrow went 5' high, no nock at recovery, bow shoots repeatably fine after.

Hoping I can find him again later in the season even though I'm missing all of the rut due to family crap. Or any of his friends, I'm not too picky.