Did you miss an animal this year?

cnelk

WKR
I posted this question on another forum and the replies were surprising!

As the topic says… did you miss an animal this year?
It’s okay… it happens to the best. I did.

I shot right under a WT doe at 40 yds during archery season - I thought for sure she would duck at least a little but not this time. Complete miss.

Jbehredt

WKR
Missed a Turkey last spring. Was really pushing available light in my ground blind and basically used the end of my pin as I couldn’t make out the fiber dot. Swing and a miss, wide right.

Drenalin

WKR
Yep, missed at 120 with a rifle. Shot it the next day, 6 inches low and 4 inches right. This was less than a week after it being right on at 140 on a different deer. Got about 3 more weeks of babying this scope, then I'm trashing it.

bnsafe

WKR
I havnt missed in a long long time, but, its coming. I usually like to figure out a way to blow the shot before it happens, lol

bsnedeker

WKR
I missed a spike bull at 40 yards this year....it was the only shot I had on an elk this season so it's a tough one. I had been at full draw for over a minute and rather than wait another 15 seconds (probably would have taken less than that) I tried to sneak the arrow through some brush and the arrow when right underneath him.

Haggin

Lil-Rokslider
With the exception of a coyote with my turkey gun in the spring (every hunt is a coyote hunt here), i didn't pull the trigger on another animal. Slow year.

Yarak

WKR
Missed a hog a few days ago but then Ive killed 9 already so one miss is no big deal
Was dialed in for 500 when it came out at 100

Northpark

WKR
I missed an axis doe last January with a rifle at 60 yards. I hit a small twig right in front of the barrel.

EdP

WKR
Last year - a cautionary tale about proper training/practice. Had an outfitted MD hunt planned in Wy. Worked up loads for my new .280AI and zeroed at 200 yds. Had no problem slapping steel out to 600 at the shooting range using the BDC reticle. Developed a dope card corrected for the altitude difference and all was good. Knew I needed to practice field positions and did it at home where I can shoot 200 yds. When the time came to make a shot it was 400 yds. No problem, I was steady on my tripod rest with a backpack aiding in the rear. I did exactly what I had been practicing at home. The crosshairs were just where I wanted them when the shot broke for a clean miss low, 3 times in a row. Just exactly where it would be expected to be when you are zeroed at 200, shooting at 400, and fail to use the BDC subtension and instead put the crosshair on the animal. Like I said, I did exactly what I had done during my field position practice at home, all done at 200 yds. I needed to practice field positions at various ranges beyond 200 so that using the correct subtension was part of the practice routine. Won't make that mistake again. Luckily later in the hunt I had another shot opportunity at 350 on another MD and it was down in one shot.

prm

WKR
For the first time in my life, I missed a shot on a big game animal. Offhand, Mule Deer at 100ish yards. Trying to pick a shot as he moved through brush and open timber. I was able to eventually get more shots and got him. F&#$* rodeo. To say this bothered me is an understatement. Back to the fundamentals of shooting and more practice for me.

Last edited:
Didn't miss but didn't recover. Cow elk 30 yards, mid lung behind the crease with a sevr 1.5. Last day of the season. Zero blood trail other than the arrow covered in blood. Still sour about it. Ran out of elk meat last night.

Rich M

WKR
I didnt miss this year. ML was shooting about 1.5 inch at 100 yds. Deer at say 40 yds. I did hit him a little further back than i should have due to rushing the shot. Not aiming, just center of deer…boom! It ran 125 yds and dead.

6 point big bull elk - late Nov snowy cold Colorado. 450 yards -across draws - either 20 degrees or slight breeze caused me to miss. In brushy area so no way to see where shots landed and to adjust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Missed a cow Saturday morning with a muzzleloader. Misread on the rangefinder. Sometimes you have to appreciate a clean miss.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I missed a cow elk in Nov. While I was getting set up for the shot, one of the guys said he had her at 300 yards. Unknown to me he had taken a bad guess rather than using range finder. Using graduation on my BDC scope, I set up for the shot. I have no idea where the shot went except it wasn't into the Elk. In reality the shot was actually 515 yards when finally ranged. there was also a 22 mph cross wind. The two mistakes I made was relying on someone else to give me the range, and not ranging distance myself. Second mistake was taking shot with that kind of wind. I did end up taking a nice cow the next evening at 170 yards, no wind. :)