Did you forget your rifle in the Mendocino NF?

I just saw this on FB and thought there is a chance somebody here could benefit form posting it here:

A rifle was found on the Mendocino National Forest in the Hammerhorn Area. If it’s yours, please contact the Covelo District Office at (707) 983-6118 . You must be able to describe or have documentation to claim ownership of rifle. Thank you.

I hope it gets reunited with its owner soon.

Beendare

WKR
Who walks off without their rifle? Keep us posted if there is more to the story....

I'm going to guess here that its not some full bore custom with a NF scope....

Probably a Big 5 bottom of the line Savage or equal.

Yes… I forgot my rifle. I don’t have any documentation but here’s a description. It’s about 40-ish inches long and weighs somewhere between 5 and 15 lbs. On one end is a trapezoidal slab that you put against your shoulder, and it’s made of either wood or some kind of plastic if I recall. The other end has a round metal tube poking out with a hole in it and I can’t recall if it’s a blueish color or silver. In the middle there may or may no be another metal tube with glass in each end of it. Anyway trust me it’s mine… I’ve left that dang thing in the woods so many times….

j3h8

Lil-Rokslider
Who walks off without their rifle? Keep us posted if there is more to the story....

Had a buddy lean his rifle against the vehicle tire. We were exhausted. By the time we packed up camp and threw back some food he drove off and ran it over. Turned back about a mile down the road to go get it, but it can happen.

CorbLand

WKR

You would be surprised.

I know a guy that was hunting and was coming back home for a couple days (1.5 hour drive). He had a friend that his parents lived down where he was hunting so he left the trailer and RZR down there at their place. Got all the way home and realized that his gun (full bore custom with a nightforce) was still sitting in the RZR. Had to call the guys 80 year old mom at 1030 at night to go get it and put it in the house.

I was out shooting carp one day with my bow. Walked back to the pickup, set it down to take my waders off and drove away without it. Got all the way home (20 minutes) and realized it. Drove back and luckily it was still there.

You feel like an idiot when you do it, that is for sure.

Beendare

WKR
Had a buddy lean his rifle against the vehicle tire. We were exhausted. By the time we packed up camp and threw back some food he drove off and ran it over. Turned back about a mile down the road to go get it, but it can happen.
Thankfully I have only lost one coffee cup off the bumper of my truck to learn that lesson.......

I did that with my bow years ago. Fortunately, I only slightly bent one cam.

A friend of mine put his bow on his tailgate and drove off. Bow disappeared.

My buddy stopped to take a leak while we were hiking. We kept going for awhile when I asked where his bow was...

I stopped to unload a mountain house and kept walking. Realized I didn't have my gloves. Found them on my binoculars...

It happens.