Did Mountain House Change Their Recipes?

Paulyester

Lil-Rokslider
For the longest time, I've been the biggest Mountain House fanboy. I loved all their meals, some more than others, but genuinely enjoyed all their meals. My kids even asked for Moutain House meals for dinner sometimes. The last 5 packets I've eaten however, all purchased in the last 12 months or so were absolutely disgusting. Tasted like chemicals with some food flavoring. Reminded me of Backpacker Pantry meals. Way too much sodium, poor consistency, and generally "survival" edible only.

Anyone else have this issue?

I just ordered some, so I’m really hoping it was a fluke for you! But, I will report back if I notice a difference in last years vs current.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
I can't do Mountain House anymore. I used to think some of the meals were "OK" and I didn't expect much to begin with, they filled my stomach in the back country and that was good enough. But now after about the 2nd or 3rd day in the woods I can barely gag them down. They all start tasting like wall paper paste after a few days.

Last edited:

bmrfish

WKR
For the longest time, I've been the biggest Mountain House fanboy. I loved all their meals, some more than others, but genuinely enjoyed all their meals. My kids even asked for Moutain House meals for dinner sometimes. The last 5 packets I've eaten however, all purchased in the last 12 months or so were absolutely disgusting. Tasted like chemicals with some food flavoring. Reminded me of Backpacker Pantry meals. Way too much sodium, poor consistency, and generally "survival" edible only.

Anyone else have this issue?

Similar here. Have been eating it for decades just fine. On this year’s moose hunt, I could barely choke them down and didn’t finish most of them even though I was burning 10 million calories per day. Not sure if they changed or I just reached my lifetime quota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny, I was talking to my buddy on our back pack hunts about this.

The only difference is I thought they tasted better!

I’ve been eating them for over 20 years, and for a while some of my favorites seemed bland. Last year and this year they were great again.

Chicken and rice, fajita bowl, spaghetti, beef stroganoff, pasta primavera, beef stew, chili Mac, veggie chorizo breakfast skillet were all as good or better than ever

grfox92

WKR
I've never eaten MH but always thought the consensus was they were about as good as cheap dog food.

I've been eating Peak and Backpackers Pantry. I will say so far I haven't had one from either of those companies that I would hesitate to eat for a regular dinner.

Sweet pork and Rice by Peak and chicken Pad Thai from Backpackers Pantry have been my favorie

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

To each their own. I like certain meals from certain companies. Everything company makes a few garbage meals (look good on packaging with just the right keywords) but then they taste like crap.

I have tried and true from each company that I enjoy

Mountain House definitely has the longest shelf like bar none, which is like 20 or 30 years. Some other companies are just a handful of years. Just keep that in mind if you aren’t eating every single freeze dried meal each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I am not sure what is up with their recipes but on the same product some seem good and others bland. I prefer Peak 2 Peak.

If you haven't had garbage meals from each company, you haven't tried very many meals!

I tasted no difference from the same old same old this year. I like 2-4 meals from each of the major companies and can't force down the rest of the stuff they make. Just ordered 60 meals from the MH sale and it was only between 4 meals (except for three m&c for camping with the kids).

I can't do HC meals. I want to b/c she's local, but it's all awful. We had a group of 6 all passing around her meals on a dry cabin trip and the consensus was certainly unanimous. I'd rather crap in my hand and clap.

OP
Paulyester

Paulyester

Lil-Rokslider
Just dont have anything that has the MH cheese sauce in it. That shit sets up like concrete on anything it touches including your stomach.
That could be it too. I had the new buffalo chicken, and the cheesy mac or something like that. Both were garbage. My old favorites were the beef stew, beef stroganoff, biscuits and gravy, turkey tetrazzini to name a few. I've liked the Peak meals, they are just twice and much and the portions are too big for me.

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
I can throw down some MH in the mountains when I've gone feral but if I ate it at home I'd throw it away.