Detained over a couple rounds of ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
One other thing, do not keep your luggage pieces in your reloading room near your bench. That can make for a bad situation if they do an explosives check.

IDVortex

WKR
I wish more people felt this way. It would help reduce the cost of airfare and save me a lot of money. I love the US, but there are lots of other awesome places to go and enjoy. Heck, Mexico is one of my favorite places to vacation and I can't wait for my first trip to South Africa next year.
I actually would love to go to South Africa. It's on my bucket list.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I had packed my carry on for a trip back to Wis. for a deer and grouse hunt. Well I decided I had too much in the bag so I dumped it all out. The hard bottom fell out along with a 9" blade survival knife which was under the hard bottom. It was there from a local trip I had taken a few weeks prior. The pucker factor hit me hard. :)

tony

WKR
I got through TSA with a bic light in my carry on bag. Yeah I forgot about it truthfully, so I can see how this could happen.
Is it normal just to toss a handful of ammo in your pack, shoulder bag, suitcase unsecured? Thought ammo had to be secured in your gun case?
I have to agree this sounds like a scam while still breaking the law. One guy is on bail has to check in with the PD twice a week. Just a guess, but these dudes will pay huge fines after spending 6 months to a year wandering the land there. So they will be jobless on arrival back to the U.S. and occur a huge debt.

But, yeah check your damn bags, have a different set of bags for travel and hunting. You are at the mercy of the host countries laws.

GF has been to Italy last summer and just got back from Spain. No issues either country.
We went to Mexico (Cancun) for a week last year. Defiantly sketchy as hell. Just don't be a dumb ass American and you will be fine. We didn't leave the resort, to excursions with a proper outfit. It was a good time.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
It’s just damn easy to miss a round of ammo in a travel bag and my point of this was to let other guys like myself know, triple check your bags!

March of 2002 we did a quick family trip to Disneyland. Required flying as it was halfway across the country. Going through security they found a spent .270 casing in my backpack. Full search of myself and luggage. I was 12 years old.

I won’t even travel with a bag that has been used on a hunting trip now. No way in hell will I even pack a suitcase that has been near my firearms. That crap sticks with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taskswap

WKR
I'm confused. This isn't meant to be a preachy post, but how the h*** is it "easy" to miss "a few rounds" of ammo in a bag? Do you just toss loose rounds in there from a baggie when you go shooting? I'm genuinely curious. Am I the only one who loads mags directly from factory boxes with extras going back into the same boxes they came from? It doesn't matter if it's a 308 or a 22. Many cartridges have weak spots like if weight is put on them sideways having the bullet get mis-aligned or even a slight crimp in the case. And I would never want a child to find one dropped on a trail or elsewhere. How do you have rounds just floating around in your bags?

dtrkyman

WKR
I guess everyone here never made a mistake, listen to the podcast and you will see how easily one can make the mistake.

I am an archery guy so I don't shoot guns much, shotguns mostly if I do.

Some of the most amazing experiences I have ever had were in "shit hole" 3rd world countries!

Seems as though they must have been catching folks with ammo for a while and they figured they would cash in and make some money!

Rich M

WKR
When i saw we were up to 5 people detained for having ammo.

Doesn't anyone clean out their suitcases before international travel? Or even travel to say New York City.

Something doesn't ring right with this - screwy.

Fatcamp

WKR
There is an international push by the totalitarianists to remove the ability for people to defend themselves.

Stay where you are free or suffer the consequences. Unfortunately that's getting to be a pretty narrow window.

I've been to Provo a number of times but that was decades ago. It has great beaches, snorkeling and Conch fritters.

Why would anyone want to visit a shitehole 3rd world country that does not have our great Constitution to protect us?

Over the past few years, my take is somewhere outside the USA better have something I absolutely need or want for me to leave the USA for that reason alone.

Eddie

Wife decided this about 20 years ago. No desire to leave the USA agsin. Far more awesome things to do and see here than you could complete in 10 lifetimes.

I still travel abroad, but very particular about the country.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When i saw we were up to 5 people detained for having ammo.
Ya, certainly seems odd. I can't imagine that many people in a year, let alone all at the same time, and all in the same country. Makes you wonder how often this happens around the world where we don't hear about it. Attention to detail. Details matter.

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
I went thru a checkpoint with 223 stripper clips and some glock mags once in a side pocket of a pack I hardly ever use. I had taken it camping a week before. I was headed to the Bahamas as well to pick up a boat.

I stressed about it for 6 months and was finally assessed a civil penalty for a few hundred dollars.

Now I have separate packs for travel and shooting. When I travel for shooting, I put all my "stuff" in ziplocks and leave it in the main compartment so its 100% seen by me upon unpacking.

Sometimes I wish there was a thumbs down button on Rokslide for the guys on this thread that that are not envisioning a scenario ever where they too could make a mistake. At some point in your life, you will be milliseconds from effing up yourself.

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
as others have said if you do not like what is happening in other countries that does not accept your rules do not come to them ...
Agreed.

I don't go to Canada. Or California. Or east of the Mississippi (except to visit family just across it)
We're all happier for it.
Voluntary segregation is not a bad thing.
Voting with your pocketbook is the only vote that actually counts.

If u get caught in Mexico with ammo driving across, 1 22 lr round rattling on the floor boards, u are heading to jail, they are seizing your truck and u are paying a hefty fine.

Happened to a buddies uncle a few years ago, he lives near Eagle Pass on the border.

Status
Not open for further replies.