Detained over a couple rounds of ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColoradoV

WKR
If ya can’t personally handle the rules don’t travel international = simple as that. If ya get caught take responsibility and don’t bitch for your mistake 😂🤦🏼‍♂️!!

Not much difference here or w the wnba lady caught w a joint heading out of Russia…. Silly yea but serious to the country.

International travel requires a basic level of personal conduct = does not matter if you are leaving Russia w weed or carrying shells in your luggage..

Pretty simple to avoid either from where I sit or fair to say if ya don’t 💯 know what’s in your luggage ya might not be responsible enough for international travel….

As us who have had our entire luggage, gear, and papers spread out at boarder crossings while guys w ak’s go through everything w a fine tooth comb will make you realize to yea double check your luggage and paperwork 😂….

Marble

WKR
I had a box of .22 ammo get through TSA around 10 times. Everywhere l eventually they see it on the scanner and couldn't find it. They handed me the backpack and I pulled it out. Ended up getting a notice in the mail about a month later with a fine of around $2k.

I had to write two to three letters explaining that I was law enforcement and had the training and approval to fly armed. Took another six months and it was dismissed.

I couldn't imagine being put in the situation happening referenced above.

It's just wrong.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
TSA is a joke. I fly a lot. The other day they pulled my bag and me aside. He started opening the backpack and I said, "The knife is right here, but there's no blade in it." He looked right at me, reach his hand on the bag and grabbed a partially drank water bottle, closed the backpack and walked off. Didn't even check the knife I told him about.

I don't know what the level of training they have, but it isn't sufficient. It's one step above a security guard that sits in his kiosk all day and never does anything.

Some have been flat rude. Some insulting. There's inconsistent practices from airport to airport.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
One other thing, do not keep your luggage pieces in your reloading room near your bench. That can make for a bad situation if they do an explosives check.

I once used my travel bag as a range bag for sporting clays. When I flew through Dulles they swabbed for explosives and it was positive. Lady swabbed it again and it came back positive. Then she said,
This this is always giving false positives when it's humid, you are good to go."

I grabbed my bag and left.

Does anyone really want to know why/how it got past TSA?

Reasonable circumstances deserve reasonable responses. Anyone here saying "just play by the rules" would not be singing that tune had they made the same mistake. Period.

IDVortex

WKR
I'm not surprised about TSA not catching the ammo, how many studies or tests have been done to prove how much stuff gets missed by TSA in the past? They're not super reliable in my opinion. Granted, they also do stop a lot of things, but things still get missed. But I also think it's due to most of the tsa agents I've seen only view the job as a paycheck and not as what the job actually is. Another personal opinion.

bpa556

Lil-Rokslider
I won’t fight your for that plane ticket!

I’m with you. I’ve been to every continent and multiple countries on most of them. Probably 150 islands to boot.

I don’t care if I never leave the US again. There’s not another country on Earth as geographically diverse or beautiful as the U.S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
If this was truly a security/safety issue for Turks and Caicos the ammo would have been detected upon arrival. Keep the criminals out. No. Let them have their fun, spend money then arrest them when they leave.

It is surprising that loose ammo in luggage is so common.

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
I’m with you. I’ve been to every continent and multiple countries on most of them. Probably 150 islands to boot.

I don’t care if I never leave the US again. There’s not another country on Earth as geographically diverse or beautiful as the U.S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many years ago I had a retired Navy "diver" tell me the same thing. Said there isn't enough time to see it all and everyone else hates you. 😁

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
I can see how it's easy to miss if you shoot occasionally, and travel infrequently. It really sucks, and this does seem like a shakedown from T&C Government, especially if it's been slaps on the wrist before.

It's habit for me to empty my entire bag before a trip to ensure there's no hidden knives, ammo, or spare guns. I used to shoot and travel more frequently than I do now, so that was just a formality of getting ready for a trip.

It's habit for me to empty my entire bag before a trip to ensure there's no hidden knives, ammo, or spare guns. I used to shoot and travel more frequently than I do now, so that was just a formality of getting ready for a trip.
Any bag of mine that's used for shooting trips and general traveling trips is completely emptied and checked before it gets packed to go on a plane.

Sometimes that means it's emptied for no reason on a 2 day turnaround. Lol

Even domestic trips, the only thing that rivals TSAs incompetence is their rudeness. Minimize the interaction!

Dented

WKR
Given the number of cases of this happening recently, I'm starting to wonder if it's an attempt to have something to shake down the US government. Send us a few million, we'll stop imprisoning your citizens.

My God I'm getting cynical...

🤣🤣🤣

MattB

WKR
Given the number of cases of this happening recently, I'm starting to wonder if it's an attempt to have something to shake down the US government. Send us a few million, we'll stop imprisoning your citizens.

My God I'm getting cynical...

🤣🤣🤣
Given how economically reliant Turks & Caicos is on US tourism, I doubt it. Likely just making a statement with an anti-gun law that seems overzealous by US standards.

Last edited:
You have to wonder. Took my nephew on a trip once, TSA missed the 8 45ACP rounds in a magazine in grand junction. We were making the connection in SLC when he finds it in his backpack. Kept the mag, threw out the ammo.

TSA never said anything about the empty mag on the return trip either.
Same sort of thing happened to me. I had a fully loaded glock 26+2 mag in a backpack I used for work. My truck had to go into the shop so I threw my gun and mags into my backpack when I got my loaner and carried on with life.

The next week I had to fly to Destin, FL for work and grabbed the backpack for my work laptop without thinking about it. Made it to Destin before realizing it was there. Ditched the ammo at the hotel and put the mag in my Yeti waterbottle and broght it home in my checked bag.

Moral of the story:
1. TSA sucks. They miss crap all the time.
2. Have dedicated travel suitcases/backpacks that never go near hunting/shooting stuff. If you have to travel with an item that might have been used for hunting/shooting trips you better double and triple check that bag for anything that can get you in trouble.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did not read the story, but how the hell did they get by TSA???

A couple of years ago my wife and I were visiting relatives out of state. I had brought a small lumbar pack my wife wanted to borrow. She grabbed it and said what’s this? Oh just a 5 round speedloader (with 5 live rounds!).

I’m glad TSA missed it and now resides permanently out of state! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.