Detained over a couple rounds of ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluefish

WKR
Tsa is a joke. My wife has done two trips with a 4” pairing knife in her purse and I have walked through with a spyderco clip knife in my pocket, with the clip showing. All post 9/11.

*zap*

WKR
TSA and hwy patrol's steal tens of millions of $ in cash every year from travelers and most of the folks they rob are never charged with a crime...they just get a receipt.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
2. Have dedicated travel suitcases/backpacks that never go near hunting/shooting stuff. If you have to travel with an item that might have been used for hunting/shooting trips you better double and triple check that bag for anything that can get you in trouble.
This. I have separate luggage (now) for hunting and non-hunting travel. And NONE of it resides in my reloading room.

Embarrassing to admit, I travelled into Canada once with several rounds of ammo in the truck that I had inadvertently left in there. Lucky it was not found as a few were pistol ammo. I now keep all ammo/mags in dedicated boxes and keep track of them all.

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider
I carry my base parachute on anytime I'm traveling to jump. It has a hook knife that is basically just a razor blade attached to it.

No issues whatsoever and it goes through the xray and all.

Scorpion

WKR
I’ve made mistakes like this when flying domestically on trips. Fortunately have not had any major issues with TSA.

I now have bags/luggage that are only used for non-hunting travel. It’s very easy to lose a round or two of ammo.

Weird things happen, especially when rushing for a trip. TSA let me walk through security on 9/11 with a .22 suppressor in my carry on. I was pushed to a flight the next day and they found it then. I had forgot that I put it in a side pocket of my duffel bag after a range session. They were less upset with me than when I had a full bottle of cough syrup.

FWIW - it’s also easier to take a rifle and 100 rounds of ammo into Mexico than it is to check a rifle at Denver International Airport. It’s also easier to get back into the USA with said rifle than it is if the USDA finds mud/dirt on your vehicle after a week in Sonora.

Okhotnik

WKR
This is really pretty wild. 5 Americans now being held facing 12 years for accidentally having ammunition in their luggage.

https://apnews.com/article/turks-am...icans-prison-113499916a92803368d70264b8397c83

View attachment 713538

I have traveled there with my wife. I know I have found random rounds of ammunition in my bags multiple times. I’m going to be much more careful.

I cannot imagine boarding a plane to return home and being detained for months over a few rounds of ammunition.
They should all identify as LGBT like Griner and the US Dept of State would get them out in a few days

Sometimes I wish there was a thumbs down button on Rokslide for the guys on this thread that that are not envisioning a scenario ever where they too could make a mistake. At some point in your life, you will be milliseconds from effing up yourself.
About 20 years ago I flew from Montana to Virginia. This was post 9/11 and probably at the height of airport security. When I got to. Virginia I was digging in the pockets of my Filson vest looking for some cash I had stuffed away. Instead of cash I found two live 30-06 cartridges. They were promptly pitched into the harbor.

Shit happens. I have no idea how I got through TSA with them on my person. It sucks for these folks. Count me in the group who doesn’t like leaving the USA.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stay on topic no need to drag this into the weeds and get it locked up

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.