Denver area antler buyers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, it’s okay to invade habitat on foot if we are trying to kill them, but not otherwise?

Is scouting ok? What about hiking?
Yes shed hunting is a problem, starting to be problem or will be a problem across the entire west in the near future, Yes states are starting to address with seasons to protect critical winter ground and Yes we eventually see shed antlers regulations on the collecting and selling because people keep trying to skirt the current gray areas of the law.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

DanimalW

WKR
Can you tell us what the appropriate reasons for shed hunting are?
It was kind of a tongue in cheek serious question. I hunt and fish a lot. Never really saw the appeal in shed hunting personally, but have read plenty of threads on here with people complaining with season dates, different shed hunting season dates for NR’s, etc. First time reading a post from someone looking for a local place to sell them though.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fetty depending on the quantity you have they will meet up with you.

It's a bit early since most areas are still closed but most of them make a circuit buying every couple hundred miles or so.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
I collect antlers and use them for dog chews. Nothing better. All natural. Different species of antlers are different prices. Around here they sell for over 30$ a pound.
Antlers from a 3 or 4 year old could have fetch hundreds of dollars.
For me I'm giving our Chesapeake a great chew toys. Some folks actually need money and work pretty hard at getting it. Myself I kinda think that just because someone else can n does is most folks issue.
Hey I get out with our dog n grandkids. They are learning. And she's excellent at retrieving not just moose antlers.
Reality is most folks don't get more than a mile off the road. Or maybe feel that they lost out n someone else got there's.
Jeesh then the fix is coming, more government. My opinion is that more government is not the answer. And it would alienate more opportunities for folks to get out, again.
If folks us hunting, just enjoying the outdoors folks, can't stick stick together as a whole we'll all get sucked into hole some time.

yfarm

WKR
Sheds destroy tractor tires. USDA prescribes maintenance burns of CRP lands to retard or prevent brush and tree growth. Before burning firebreaks are plowed and disced around the burn area. We always walk the burn area afterwards to pick up sheds given the cost of tractor tires, have piles of whitetail sheds, have never thought of selling

Mag_7s

WKR
So, it’s okay to invade habitat on foot if we are trying to kill them, but not otherwise?

Is scouting ok? What about hiking?
I understand your point on the hypocrisy. The issue is with the extreme popularity of shed hunting, the pressure put on these animals just coming out of winter can be pretty life threatening for them. They have depleted their fat reserves and must conserve all the energy they can. Ungulates have a very sensitive digestive system, even though the grasses and forbs may be greening up, they can still starve to death with a full stomach as they haven't yet adapted to the change in food. Calf and fawn recruitment is essential hanging in the balance here.

I’d love to see the sale of antlers from public land be outlawed.
yeah, and morels and photos of nature too!
Or at least require a permit if you’re going to take a resource and sell it.
Yeah, kinda like a tag of some sort to denote that you paid the state x money for a resource that you now claim, if successful in your endeavor, and may do with it as you see fit.
You can’t sell wild game you harvest, would love to see the same rules apply for sheds.
But you can sell tags, the rights, the adventure to take the resource. Just not the prize. You can sell everything around the pursuit, and the pursuit itself just not thebprize.

Do you not see the irony in that?

Do you not see the irony in your statement? Your hobby is ok to harvest, their hobby is not.

Ucsdryder

WKR
yeah, and morels and photos of nature too!

Yeah, kinda like a tag of some sort to denote that you paid the state x money for a resource that you now claim, if successful in your endeavor, and may do with it as you see fit.

But you can sell tags, the rights, the adventure to take the resource. Just not the prize. You can sell everything around the pursuit, and the pursuit itself just not thebprize.

Do you not see the irony in that?

Do you not see the irony in your statement? Your hobby is ok to harvest, their hobby is not.
Sounds like you’re advocating for a permit. Like mushroom collecting, wood cutting, elk hunting, etc. I don’t have an issue with that.

I don’t sell my game meat so I don’t see the irony.

Shed hunting has gotten out of control. It needs some oversight rather than being a free for all. Outlaw the commercial sales of sheds found on public land and all the issues will go away (minus the poachers of course).

Go collect them, build an arch in front of your house because you have so many, just don’t sell a public resource for personal gain.

I understand your point on the hypocrisy. The issue is with the extreme popularity of shed hunting, the pressure put on these animals just coming out of winter can be pretty life threatening for them. They have depleted their fat reserves and must conserve all the energy they can. Ungulates have a very sensitive digestive system, even though the grasses and forbs may be greening up, they can still starve to death with a full stomach as they haven't yet adapted to the change in food. Calf and fawn recruitment is essential hanging in the balance here.
But hunting during the rut before they have a chance to fornicate and propagate is AOK.

Some, I've noticed, take the gospel of law as the basis for morality and ethics.

Sounds like you’re advocating for a permit. Like mushroom collecting, wood cutting, elk hunting, etc. I don’t have an issue with that.
No
I don’t sell my game meat so I don’t see the irony.
Nor do I, but I have an open mind.
Shed hunting has gotten out of control. It needs some oversight rather than being a free for all. Outlaw the commercial sales of sheds found on public land and all the issues will go away (minus the poachers of course).
What issues will instantly go away? Specifically?
Go collect them, build an arch in front of your house because you have so many, just don’t sell a public resource for personal gain.
But I can use said public resource for any other personal gain...just not *this* one?

The state is selling game meat-thats the license/tag. Why do you find them (.gov) superior and altruistic to be allowed that, buy I can't sell a backstrap to my buddy? Or that it's OK we buy public game/meat, but not ok we sell public game/meat?

So why it's, well, stupid, to take your line of reasoning?

You can't chastise shed hunting-without chastising hunting for BOALs.

You can't chastise selling game meat, as you are the buyer.

Limiting someone else's right, like an EBIKER/hunter, because "waah he cheated", is stupid.

"ThE wiNTeR RanGes"

"First they came for x, and I wasn't x....."

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
But hunting during the rut before they have a chance to fornicate and propagate is AOK.

Some, I've noticed, take the gospel of law as the basis for morality and ethics.
And your just preaching the opposite, good on you to share your narrow prospective

Ucsdryder

WKR
No

Nor do I, but I have an open mind.

What issues will instantly go away? Specifically?

But I can use said public resource for any other personal gain...just not *this* one?

The state is selling game meat-thats the license/tag. Why do you find them (.gov) superior and altruistic to be allowed that, buy I can't sell a backstrap to my buddy? Or that it's OK we buy public game/meat, but not ok we sell public game/meat?

So why it's, well, stupid, to take your line of reasoning?
We can agree to disagree. @fngTony asked this thread not be derailed further So I’ll respect that, especially when the name calling comes out. 🙄

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.