Delta Controlled Use Area Sheep Tag - Non Residents Gain Tags

fatbacks

WKR
Not sure if anyone is tracking but ADFG just changed how they are allocating tags for the DCUA Sheep hunt. Now instead of having the chance to draw up a certain percentage of the tags, non-residents are now guaranteed a certain amount of the the tags.

They way it is now, non-residents are allocated 17.5% nearly 25% of the late season tags. Looks like some guides did some lobbying with whomever allocates tags.

Timing on this is pretty bad in my view... especially as these tags are cut by 50% from a few years back.

1666208639066.png

Last edited:

oenanthe

WKR
Whoa. This comes as a big surprise. Especially the tag reserved for non-guided non-residents.

Where did you get 25%? Eight non-resident tags out of eighty total would be 10%.

OP
fatbacks

fatbacks

WKR
40 tags for the late season... 7 of which go to non-res. So 17.5% to non-res.

I apologize, my off hand math was way off. Will change in original post.

I read through the recent recommendations to the BOG, and nearly all of them believe that NR should have fewer allocated tags. Additionally there were many comments suggesting changes for Guides. Do you think there will be any changes made from the BOG that will actually be beneficial for sheep given how many members of the BOG are guides?

I read through the recent recommendations to the BOG, and nearly all of them believe that NR should have fewer allocated tags. Additionally there were many comments suggesting changes for Guides. Do you think there will be any changes made from the BOG that will actually be beneficial for sheep given how many members of the BOG are guides?
Nope

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
you meant to say ‘beneficial for residents’ right?

Homer

FNG
I wonder if the 1 nonresident, non guided tag still requires a next-of-kin? I could see the board of game not wanting next-of-kin nonresidents in their guided pool of of tags. They also allowed all the guided hunts to take place in the season that allows motorized transportation into the field so they can have their clients fly in rather than walk.

Bambistew

WKR
I wonder if the 1 nonresident, non guided tag still requires a next-of-kin? I could see the board of game not wanting next-of-kin nonresidents in their guided pool of of tags. They also allowed all the guided hunts to take place in the season that allows motorized transportation into the field so they can have their clients fly in rather than walk.
Yes it's for NOK only. The board can't change the guide requirement. The outfitters/guides whined about not having exclusivity of draw tags. NOK looks like they get about 5% of NR tags, maybe.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
My $0.02 for 19C is to put the guides on a quota. You each get up to 3-6? tags with a quota of XX sheep units. For the most part it seems to be working with goats and they don’t fly those each season that I’m aware of.

I was told by a 19C outfitter (who took 2 hunters and both killed) that a certain neighboring outfit took 17 sheep hunters this year. When questioned, the non resident outfitter said “I have bills to pay.” They advertise really well, make neat little TikTok videos and like to take less than fit hunters. Then they stack that hunter with Johnny Fitness who hikes them until they quit. They can say the old standby, if you show up in good shape and don’t quit you’ll have a good hunt 😃 That isn’t good faith guiding, that’s dirty poker. My opinion but a guide is paid to make someone successful no matter what they look like.

Stats should be made public for all outfitters, all species. It would sure weed out some of the bad apples. It would also shut down some of the yapping about how Fed land sole use guides are the only way to go. There’s a few who deserve that status bias and many more who do not. Read through the unfilled tag thread if you disagree.

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
Stats should be made public for all outfitters, all species. It would sure weed out some of the bad apples.
You nailed it. And it should include any data that the DF&G records for sheep, such as age, horn length and sub-legal take.