Dehydrated Meal Storage

Whip

WKR
How long will DIY dehydrated meals safely store in the freezer? I've read some things that say 6 months. But I have a bunch of last falls leftovers that were made last summer, stored in the freezer until early September, then back in the freezer since the end of September. I've got an August trip this year and am wondering if these will be fine to use or if they should be tossed. I hate to waste them, and it woukd be nice not to have to do all the prep this year, but on the other hand, I don't want to be 10 days in the bush with only a bunch of nasty food to eat.

*zap*

WKR
So, the answer will vary depending on how they were made and the ingredients..

Try some a week before you leave and then you should know. If they suck get busy.

OP
W

Whip

WKR
Ingredients vary. Most have lean venison burger as part of them. Canned chicken in others. Then sauces, vegis, etc. I did take a couple out today and will let them sit for a couple of weeks before trying them.

*zap*

WKR
I believe that anything with fat in it does not last as long but I have no experience with longer term storage of my dehydrated foods.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had no issues with storing my dehydrated meals for multiple years in the freezer. I would take out what I’m using for hunting and if I didn’t use it I would freeze it until the next trip. I also had very low fat content in all of my meals.

I’ve had no issues with storing my dehydrated meals for multiple years in the freezer. I would take out what I’m using for hunting and if I didn’t use it I would freeze it until the next trip. I also had very low fat content in all of my meals.

I’ll second this. I’ve rehydrated DIY meals that were in a zip-loc bag 3 or more years in the freezer without issue. It tasted as fresh as they day I cooked it!

Attachments

• IMG_0445.jpeg
    IMG_0445.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0444.jpeg
    IMG_0444.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
OP
W

Whip

WKR
I’ll second this. I’ve rehydrated DIY meals that were in a zip-loc bag 3 or more years in the freezer without issue. It tasted as fresh as they day I cooked it!
That looks delicious! Dehydrated? Do you have a recipe to share?

That looks delicious! Dehydrated? Do you have a recipe to share?
I won’t toot my own horn here,@Whip , but it was pretty stinking good! It was dehydrated Santè fe rice and chicken.

We actually have a DIY dehydrating guide we wrote with it in it. Send me a message with a good email and I’ll create a code for you to grab a free copy and get started 👍

NRA4LIFE

WKR
No problem with keeping them frozen for a couple years. I make a LOT of dehydrated meals as a lot of the freeze dried stuff gives me the schnitz. Just keep your fat content low or near zero. I don't like using pasta or beans (not green, the ones that make you fart). Rehydrating those can be problematic and the beans, well, we all know what they do.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
No problem with keeping them frozen for a couple years. I make a LOT of dehydrated meals as a lot of the freeze dried stuff gives me the schnitz. Just keep your fat content low or near zero. I don't like using pasta or beans (not green, the ones that make you fart). Rehydrating those can be problematic and the beans, well, we all know what they do.
Not all freeze dried is equal just so you know. We had same experience with store bought freeze dried meals. Last season we lived off my home made meals it was just like the difference when we transitioned to dehydrated, way better. The home freeze dried just added versatility and a lot more options. If you spend more then a couple weeks a year living off your meals it’s worth it to me. And it is so easy. I cook twice as much as my family can eat of a meal. To dehydrate a quality meal you have to soly make it for that purpose.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I do the same. I make my dehydrated meals solely for doing just that. I like a bit of fat in my regular meals. I think that's why I'm a bit fat.

Last edited:
Here's the recipe from the guide for others that might be interested in trying it.
Super easy to make. Easy to dehydrate. Excellent once rehydrated and thrown on a tortilla in the backcountry!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-06-11 at 6.32.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-06-11 at 6.32.59 AM.png
    777.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2024-06-11 at 6.33.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-06-11 at 6.33.16 AM.png
    657.6 KB · Views: 13