Deer Camp Dinner Suggestions

SwiftShot

WKR
First. When camping now I tend to put together things I can just one pot and leave for hours. Corned beef with cabbage and carrots just in a cooker going. Another thing to think of if you have power is picking up at good will a intant pot. You can grab one now for 20 buck usually there. Those things have delayed cooking. Throw everything in it still frozen set the delay and hunt. Come back to whatever you want.

I'll cook dry rub pork ribs in the oven day or two before I leave for basecamp. Save the juices by draining from foil. Usually the first or second night I'll put the ribs on the grill and bring them back to temp. Takes 30 minutes on low heat flipping every 5 minutes while brushing on the saved juices mixed with your preferred bbq sauce. Never gotten a complaint.

Mosby

WKR
When I'm hunting I want to eat quickly with the least amount of work and clean up, whether it's breakfast or dinner. Ham, potatoes and green beans, Goulash, Chili, Lasagna, ham and bean soup and an egg/bacon casserole for breakfast are all standard stuff my wife makes ahead of time and freezes for reheating.

I'll cook dry rub pork ribs in the oven day or two before I leave for basecamp. Save the juices by draining from foil. Usually the first or second night I'll put the ribs on the grill and bring them back to temp. Takes 30 minutes on low heat flipping every 5 minutes while brushing on the saved juices mixed with your preferred bbq sauce. Never gotten a complaint.
My mother does the same thing. I have never heard of a complaint. A very underrated rib method, in my opinion.

I started canning wild game about 10 years ago. So now we just make meals in a jar and I bring them on all my hunting and fishing trips. Stews, shredded meats....etc. Its pre cooked and not frozen so you have instant sandwiches, tacos or throw it over potatoes or rice. Works out really well.

Chili without beans. Because TEXAS dont eat beans.
I only eat wild game meat. Hamburger is catch all for whatever ground meat I am eating at the time. Its always 90/10.
Quality of honey is important. Use local unfiltered medium amber.
Ouality of chili powder is important. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LCKLYKX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Its awesome the first day.
Been working on the recipe since I was a pup.
I perfer simple recipes that dont need the whole spice cabinet tossed at them. Everything that is in this recipie is there for a reason and taste.
I have loads of hot sauce that I use since my wife is white bread and white milk. Been hot on cry baby craigs hot sauce for a while. Thats why this isnt a 4 alarm recipe. Its harder coking for people taste wise that dont like their taste buds scorched out.
The quality of the beer is unimportant. I use miller lite or coors.

Ingredients:
2 lbs. hamburger
1 large yellow onion finely chopped
1 green bell pepper
4 garlic cloves
1 medium tomato finely chopped
2 oz (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 - 8 oz can of tomato sauce
1 – 10 oz can of diced tomatoes and chilies
1 cup of beef broth
1 American lager beer
2 tbs chili powder
1 tbs kosher salt
1 tbs honey
1.5 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne powder

Directions:

1. Add ground beef to a large Dutch oven and brown ground beef.

2. Reduce the heat to medium, then add the green pepper, onion, and garlic and cook until the vegetables are softened.

3. Season the mixture with chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the broth and beer and deglaze the pot with a wooden spoon, reduce for about 2 minutes.

4. Stir in the chopped tomatoes, canned tomatoes and chilies, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and honey. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
It's a shame your lifelong chili recipe went two months without a like. I've been on a bit of a Texas red kick now that its finally cooling down enough to eat hot meals again. As much as I love it, eating a spicy bowl o'red isn't something I want to do before a long hike in the mountains the next day. This thread might need to crossover with the "TP vs wet wipes" thread :LOL:

Laramie

WKR
My favorites
Enchiladas - can be warmed fairly quickly
Pre smoked burgers - just have to warm them enough to melt the cheese and you are eating in 10 min.
I like to bring a gallon zip lock of pre smoked chicken breasts. They warm up fast and offer plenty of options to use them. We make salads, sandwiches, and other things with them.
Stuffed chicken/pheasant wraps. I do chicken, cheese, mushrooms, and peppers. These are predone and wrapped in foil so super easy to warm up.
Since you have electricity, may as well take advantage of a crock pot meal that could be put on in the morning.
If it is cold, soups are amazing to me. Grouse and noodles is my all time favorite.

“The standard”

You’ll need a last cast iron Dutch oven with a concave top that you can put coals on ( i.e. not rounded)
A tripod for the casty.

Build a nice fire let it run to coals. Then put in a bag of charcoal and get it heat up for 10 mins

Meanwhile
In the Dutch oven layer

2 lbs of bacon look at attached pic to see how it goes in

4 lbs of chicken breast butterfly them

1 bag of carrots dice them

3 large onions dice them

1 bag of small Yukon gold fingerling potatoes.
Sprinkle salt on the taters

Fold the bacon over the top.

Lid it and put 10-12 charcoals on top .

Cook hanging the Dutch oven using the tripod about a 8-12 inches above coals..

Cook 30-40 mins serves with good bread/butter

Feeds 8

This is an old hunting camp tradition in my buds Nevada family. He was nice enough to share it. It’s amazing the bacon grease cooks everything and makes it taste real good.

Attachments

• IMG_3321.jpeg
    IMG_3321.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 22

Rich M

WKR
We would make stew in cock pot while hunting. Put the ingredients in, slow cook all day, eat when get back.

My dad would extend it a whole week, throw small game in or more meat, taters, carrots, green beans, you name it. Just make sure to add some water.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Sorry but chili and deer camp=no bueno.

My favorites, many pre-made, vacuum sealed and frozen:

smoked and sauced ribs heated in the oven with any quick sides
Steaks on the grill
venison stew
meatballs and tomato sauce over pasta

We knocked off a bit early one day a few years ago in MO and I wooped up some shrimp egg foo yung over rice with the beef gravy. The 2 old boys were in heaven.

ejm3

FNG
We plan meals at camp similarly, and I've done this Shepherd's Pie multiple times and has always gone over well with the fellas. The prep is a bit longer than what you were looking for, but you can make the filling ahead of time and vac-seal and freeze, then you just have to make the mashed potato topping night of and throw it in the oven in a dutch oven or something else similar. I've even cheated before and just bought some of those Bob Evans premade mashed potato sides and used that for the topping, but it's not quite as good.

Changes I make:
  • Ground venison instead of beef, though I have done it with beef at home. Venison always though at deer camp because it just makes sense.
  • Vegetable changes... I don't like the celery or fire-roasted tomatoes. One, I just don't like celery.... and I think the texture is better without the tomato chunks.
    • I made it as written the first time and didn't like the tomato chunks, and every time since I just omit them altogether. I think the texture is better and don't think there is anything missing from the consistency of the finished dish without them. If anything, I think it is improved, as it is more of a beefier flavored gravy filling like you would expect in a shepherd's pie or other red meat pie.
    • I do the fresh chopped yellow onion and garlic in step 1, but skip the chopped carrots and celery. I make up for those later by just adding frozen mixed vegetables (the bags with green beans, peas, carrots, and corn) and making up for missed proportions. The celery thing is total preference, but I think the green beans work better with the filling than celery anyhow.
  • I use red wine instead of grape juice.
One other meal suggestion that one of our guys made a few years ago is Chicken Saltimbocca. I remember watching him make it and being amazed at how simple the recipe was, how quickly it went together, and how good the final dish was. I've since made it a number of times at home. It goes well with an easy to prepare side like mashed potatoes, rice, or buttered noodles.

traildust

Lil-Rokslider
Tacos! Pastor, butter tortillas, guac, pico, refired beans, chips and salsa. Wash it down with some rocky tops!

Another benefit of tacos- you can freeze the meet ahead of time and it helps keep your cooler cold. Then pull it out in the morning and cook it that night.

bozeman

WKR
Chicken spaghetti is a main stay at duck camp.........mother in law made it ahead of time, we put in gallon bags, heat up after a cold evening of hunting.......warms the soul!

I'll also second the Mississippi Pot Roast!!!