Deer only coming to corn at night time what to do to change that

gelton

WKR
I live on ~8 acres and all the deer around here have become more nocturnal than they usually are...probably due to the extreme heat we had this summer, but they are nocturnal in general. Just wait until the rut fires up, they will be moving 24/7. Just saw some early rutting action this week and finally starting to see them more often during shooting time. I foresee a few hitting the ground soon.

DSCF0079.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF0252.JPG
    DSCF0252.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF0959.JPG
    DSCF0959.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 14

mi650

WKR
Is this what whitetail hunting has come to? Baiting strategies? That really sounds like a lame experience
Some places drives are common, others they chase them with dogs. I've never done either, so I won't comment.

Baiting may sound easy to someone who's never done it. It's not. IME, it's best for drawing does in during the rut, then hoping you can get a shot at a buck that comes to check them out. The does tend to scatter and a buck will chase after them.

FLS

WKR
Weather has been warm in the Carolinas. A cold spell should get them moving before dark.

im a beginer hunter ive noticed that the deer coming into my corn are all through the night and none during the day is there anyway to change that? and what should do to combat this problem
Move closer to the bedding areas and don’t over pressure the spot. If they aren’t bedding on the property you can hunt or you can’t move the food further from where they bed so you can get daylight chances at them, then you are wasting your time.

Yoder

WKR
well lets hear what you do sir? im new so im willing to learn
I've hunted over bait before and killed a few deer. I thought it was just ok. Nothing big ever came in during daylight. Personally, I think it takes the adventure and woodsmanship out of hunting. There's nothing like scouting an area, finding sign and coming up with a strategy and seeing if it works. I like scouting almost as much as hunting. With bait its almost instant gratification. As long as the feeder was full I saw something. If you are just looking to kill a bunch of deer It's the way to go. I've killed a bunch of deer so that's not my priority. The experience is more import to me at this point. I'm not trashing using bait, it just doesn't get me excited to hunt that way.

Yoder

WKR
im a beginer hunter ive noticed that the deer coming into my corn are all through the night and none during the day is there anyway to change that? and what should do to combat this problem
Maybe I should just try to answer your question instead of giving an opinion you don't care about. Maybe try using the bait as the food source. Figure out where the deer are bedding and setup closer to that. Even if you're a couple hundred yards from the feeder. Setup a couple cameras where you think they are coming from. You can back track them to their bedding area and setup between the bedding and the feeder. Another thing to keep in mind is what time are they showing up at the feeder? If it's 2 hrs after dark they could be coming from a mile away.