Deer only coming to corn at night time what to do to change that

Trev94

FNG
im a beginer hunter ive noticed that the deer coming into my corn are all through the night and none during the day is there anyway to change that? and what should do to combat this problem

Musky

Lil-Rokslider
Hunt at night. 😉

I've heard of people feeding deer with an electronic/solar feeder. To get them on a schedule of sorts. If baiting is illegal where you hunt then most people will empty out in the alloted time required and use a sort of pea rock to continue the noise of the feeder.

I however do not have experience with that.

grfox92

WKR
im a beginer hunter ive noticed that the deer coming into my corn are all through the night and none during the day is there anyway to change that? and what should do to combat this problem
Don't bait them.

Sorry that's not helpfull. If you want to keep yhe bait out, figure out where they are bedding and get close to it before dark or first thing in the morning. Try and intercept them on there way to and from food.

Baiting will turn deer nocturnal in certain areas because they smell your scent there and it makes them uncomfortable to be there in daylight.

Last edited:

Elkangle

WKR
Timed feeders are pretty easy to set up, if legal and the country warrants it bait away

OP
T

Trev94

FNG
im in NC so its legal to bait deer and i dont have a feeder for deer i just throw corn out on the ground but im new at this so trying to learn so would it benefit me to get a feeder?

Deer go nocturnal if dudes are wandering the woods during the day. Have you been woods walking in that area, or have others?

Hit at last legal light and hope for early bird specials.

OP
T

Trev94

FNG
Don't bait them.

Sorry that's not helpfull. If you want to keep yhe bait out, figure out where they are bedding and get close to it before dark or first thing in the morning. Try and intercept them on there way to and from food.

Baiting will turn deer nocturnal in certain areas because they smell your scent there and it makes them uncomfortable to be there in daylight.
okay cool thanks for the tip ill definetley try that. ive also heard that they could be bedded down far away so by the time they get there its late at night is that possible?

nam1975

Lil-Rokslider
Use multiple smaller bait sites. 2 or 3. Rotate them from full to light to empty. This will keep the deer bouncing around.
They don’t have to be real far apart.
A timer helps too obviously.
Feed small amounts for stretches, it creates some competition for the food.
Only 1 large bait site is pretty predictable and deer aren’t dumb.
Also try to tread infrequently as possible. Go mid day if possible.

Most states are claiming a very high acorn mast this year, which does not help deer movement. It’s also been a warm fall.

OP
T

Trev94

FNG
Deer go nocturnal if dudes are wandering the woods during the day. Have you been woods walking in that area, or have others?

Hit at last legal light and hope for
i have put corn out after work and stuff but corn isnt even in the woods its just right out side of it but i dont think anybody else has been walking through there

We can hunt feeders here. We have them spin out corn right at daylight and about an hour and a half before sunset. Lately I have seen way more deer in the morning then the evening. Even all the pigs we get are coming at night. But it will change. Just have to wait it out.

grfox92

WKR
okay cool thanks for the tip ill definetley try that. ive also heard that they could be bedded down far away so by the time they get there its late at night is that possible?
Absolutely. What time are they hitting the feeder?

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

OP
T

Trev94

FNG
Absolutely. What time are they hitting the feeder?

does come in right around 6:30pm and the couple bucks ive seen one comes in around 9ish and the other comes in around 10:30 to 11 but there is alot of activity all through the night by 5:30 in the morning there all gone

I have used one feeder for 20 years,only a few times has there ever been a decent buck on it.
Feed am and dont hunt over it,hunt the routes.
Corn is more a thing where there’s no acorns or browse.

OP
T

Trev94

FNG
I have used one feeder for 20 years,only a few times has there ever been a decent buck on it.
Feed am and dont hunt over it,hunt the routes.
Corn is more a thing where there’s no acorns or browse.
okay ill keep that in mind so i hunt out of a blind can i move it or should i just ground sit?

grfox92

WKR
The ones coming at 630 aren't bedding far away. Deer coming at midnight could be coming from miles away.

Where are you located, how much land do you have to hunt (acreage)?

OP
T

Trev94

FNG
The ones coming at 630 aren't bedding far away. Deer coming at midnight could be coming from miles away.

Where are you located, how much land do you have to hunt (acreage)?

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatal
im in NC and i have about 8 acres to hunt

Mt4+4

FNG
The deer are not comfortable with your set up , try to move it into an area with more cover around it and they're more likely to start hitting it in daylight . Also like stated above try to find how they're getting to the corn and hunt the travel routes leading to it.

OP
T

Trev94

FNG
The deer are not comfortable with your set up , try to move it into an area with more cover around it and they're more likely to start hitting it in daylight . Also like stated above try to find how they're getting to the corn and hunt the travel routes leading to it.
okay ill try that and see of that helps thanks for the help i really appreciate the feed back