Dedicated .223 bolt gun suppressor

Dobermann

WKR
I would do the 7.62 one. I have sever 5.56 cans- I wish they were all 30cal.
Hi Form, are you happy to expand on this? Is it for swappability ... or something else?

I think I'd read here that some can designs mean that an 'oversized' cartridge size can mean lower sound suppression ... but I've never followed up on that to find out if it's yet another internet myth, design specific, and so on.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
How much does weight matter to you?

A true OTB suppressor is just better. Good ones have better tone, better balance, and way less added length.
Well, I like my Raptor 8 with a flush mount enough that I stopped using the reflex to save weight. Unless the heavier suppressor is truly better in suppression and overall length, I'm willing to pay am willing to pay extra to save ounces.

If there is an OTB that suppresses as well as the Raptor 8 while only adding 3-4 inches to barrel length, I would be willing to tolerate additional weight to a point (say 16 ounces total). Though, that is not a hard line. I plan on my daughter shooting the 223 a lot, which makes weight more important.
I would do the 7.62 one. I have sever 5.56 cans- I wish they were all 30cal.
Well, that pushes me towards 7.62 cans. I've heard it before, but like most people I want to believe I'm smarter than solid advice and somehow exceptional.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Hi Form, are you happy to expand on this? Is it for swappability ... or something else?

I think I'd read here that some can designs mean that an 'oversized' cartridge size can mean lower sound suppression ... but I've never followed up on that to find out if it's yet another internet myth, design specific, and so on.

Yes- in general and functional use dedicated cans don’t sound any different side by side than a 30cal bore of same. So why introduce a one trick pony instead of it being able to be used on anything?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Well, I like my Raptor 8 with a flush mount enough that I stopped using the reflex to save weight. Unless the heavier suppressor is truly better in suppression and overall length, I'm willing to pay am willing to pay extra to save ounces.

If there is an OTB that suppresses as well as the Raptor 8 while only adding 3-4 inches to barrel length, I would be willing to tolerate additional weight to a point (say 16 ounces total).

The MK12 cans- Otter Creek OCM 5 will be the lightest, the AEM5, and a couple form 1’s of same. The form 1’s are actually lighter as they can be fully Titanium. They sound/work best with the PRI muzzle brake, but even with an OTB mount on the HUB rear that the Form 1’s use, they sound different than conventional cans.

All of these cans are 4” to 4.5” in front of muzzle.

Though, that is not a hard line. I plan on my daughter shooting the 223 a lot, which makes weight more important.

Balance matters more than weight especially with weaker people. For that use I would absolutely get either the OCM 5 or make a Form 1 copy with the PRI brake and the collar on the barrel.

Well, that pushes me towards 7.62 cans. I've heard it before, but like most people I want to believe I'm smarter than solid advice and somehow exceptional.

I’ve been all over the map. And like a lot of things, I am not “dork level” about cans. Good cans are good cans and I don’t really care. I will take less hassle and fuss, more versatility, and less cost over 1 dB sound reduction.