Decent cheap tripod? <$100

Anyone have any suggestions of a decent tripod that's cheap? I'm talking under $100 - and the cheaper the better. Right now I use a tripod that was probably $25, and although the tripod itself is alright, the head is junk.

I do a little filming, but its mainly from a turkey blind, so I dont need the worlds smoothest fluid head because I dont move the head THAT much, but it would be nice if the little video I do take while moving the camera wasnt completely choppy.

I also use my tripod for glassing, mainly in my yard, out the window, a field edge, at the range, etc, so I don't need the most rugged, lightweight tripod - I'm not taking it on a trip out west any time soon - and by the time I can afford that, I can afford a nicer tripod.

A friend of mine uses a SLIK Compact Alloy tripod and head that can be bought off amazon for $80, and he says its incredible for the price, but it has a 3-position leg angle adjustment, which Im not sure I like because sometimes in the blind, I want to be able to pick exactly what I need for a leg angle, not just one of 3 settings.

I see plenty of other ones on there like ZOMEI, but I know nothing about the heads on them. Every once in a while I see a vanguard one on Camofire for $85 or so, but again, I know nothing about it.

dotman

WKR
If you can find a carbon fiber 47 rocketfish I highly recommend it. Going strong after three or four years of use and around 2lbs. I bought mine at Best Buy for $40 when it was discontinued. It is very similar to a Slik 624.

OP
cornfedkiller
Do I need a new tripod, or just a new head?

Would I still have issues if I put a decent head on a cheap tripod?

dotman

WKR
Ha, I run an outdoorsmans micro pan on my rocketfish so yes you can. Amazon has one for $80 or something. The ball head that comes on the rocketfish is ok but I'm not a fan of ball heads.

OP
cornfedkiller
Ha, I run an outdoorsmans micro pan on my rocketfish so yes you can. Amazon has one for $80 or something. The ball head that comes on the rocketfish is ok but I'm not a fan of ball heads.

Have a link to that panhead on Amazon? I can't seem to find it.

OP
cornfedkiller
And sorry for all the questions, but does that rocketfish have fully adjustable legs, or just a few positions to choose from? I can't seem to tell from pictures.

And what about the 65"? I see plenty of them for sale..

dotman

WKR
And sorry for all the questions, but does that rocketfish have fully adjustable legs, or just a few positions to choose from? I can't seem to tell from pictures.

And what about the 65"? I see plenty of them for sale..

Yup fully adjustable twist lock legs, very similar to the slik 624 with twist locks my buddy has. My buddy has a Vanguard PH111 pan head he would probably sell, I can ask him if interested.

The 65 is probably pretty good, just heavier.

OP
cornfedkiller
Sorry for all the "stupid" questions - I'm pretty new to the tripod thing, and especially glassing off one..

I bought a Vanguard PH-111 after the suggestions of you guys on here (thanks!), and I've started looking into tripods and also the cheap tripod I have at home, which I will probably use for a little while. Do all the heads come off of the tripod? I cant seem to figure out how to take the head off my tripod at home. And if I buy a tripod, is there anything I have to look for or make sure it has, or are all the heads interchangeable?

dotman

WKR
The head should just unscrew, may take a little force. Most tripods have either 1/4 threads or 3/8. The vanguard head has 3/8 female so if your tripod has 1/4 male you'll need to get an adapter. It isn't always standard and I think the slik brand uses 1/4 threads. The rocketfish I use has 3/8 and the vanguard will just screw on it without an adapter.

OP
cornfedkiller
Is this where it unscrews from? If so, does the little dial with the dashes and numbers stay with the head, or does it stay with the tripod?

dotman

WKR
That should be where it would unscrew, not a clue on what will remain as I don't have that exact setup. If it is a really cheap tripod the head may not be removable.

yak

Lil-Rokslider
I've used a Vanguard Espod CX203AP w/ PH23 Pan Head for several years now. Works great. Its pretty heavy (70.4 oz), but I'm not willing to invest significant $ into a tripod at this time. I think I found it at Sportsmans Warehouse for ~$70 a few years back. Hope this helps.

dacd4134

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought the Vortex Summit SS-P from Optics Planet for $103 (regular $129), if that's something you might be interested in. I used the chat function to "request a deal" and then combined their 10% off 4th of July coupon code.

Vortex Summit SS-P Tripod Kit, Black ST-5 28% OFF ST-5 | Free 2 Day Shipping

Edit to add: If you weren't aware, you can always negotiate w/ Optics Planet on pretty much anything. A buddy and I got a pair of Razor HD 16-48x65 spotters for $800 each a few months ago by talking with them.

Trick

FNG
Camofire always seems to have smoking deals on good quality tripods. Call them up and see if they have anything in your price point.

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
Dacd4134, is the head removable on the vortex?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk