Decent cheap tripod? <$100

dacd4134

Lil-Rokslider
Just got the tripod and set it up. It does appear that the head can be removed. I'm "tripod dumb" at this point, but the center post section comes apart and there is a screw head in the top that appears to be holding the head onto the post.

OP
cornfedkiller
Thanks for all the tips guys. As mentioned in an earlier post, I got a Vanguard PH-111V panhead and then I went ahead and ordered a Dolica Proline 62" tripod, and I've had a few days now to mess around with it.

Now I don't have a ton of experience with tripods, so take what I say here for what its worth, but here are my initial thoughts: The tripod is pretty dang sweet. The manufacturer specs list it at 2.5#, which seems light compared to a bunch of other tripods I was looking at. It doesnt have a crank for the center piece like my old one did, and I like this style much better.

It came with a ball-head on it, and I took it off right away before even trying it, so I have no opinion on how well it worked. I may try to sell it.

I read a bunch of reviews on "cheap" tripods, and the Dolica got very high remarks, and some websites even listed it as the best tripod under $100.

The panhead is pretty good. I read a few reviews that said it was sticky when panning vertically, and I can see exactly what they mean. Its not bad if I'm panning constantly, but if you let the tripod sit for 5-10 mins, there's a little stick when you first move vertically, but then its very smooth after that. I have to keep the handle out in front of me when glassing with my binos, and basically use the tripod "backwards", but if the handle was just SLIGHTLY bent down a little lower, it would work for me the "correct" way, so I am thinking about bending it downward a little more.