Debone to cross state lines?

They aren't going to jail. Gonna cost em a chunk though.
You would be surprised where taxidermist scrap and processor's scrap gets dumped around here.
then ticket the taxi or hunter after they have improperly disposed.

The transport rule is dumb, unless you also requiring every sheep and goat to have live scrapie testing also. Also better ban all grain and legumes from CWD positive areas also. Which is not the case

Weldor

WKR
Can't debone in Texas, You have to have front and rear quarters, backstaps. If you debone it according to them, They can't tell sex and how many Deer you harvested? I called them and I am throughly confused. If you leave the state and go through NM or OK. or LA. They state the same all deboned no spinal heads etc. ??????? I guess your suppose to process it at the border????????

KenLee

WKR
then ticket the taxi or hunter after they have improperly disposed.

The transport rule is dumb, unless you also requiring every sheep and goat to have live scrapie testing also. Also better ban all grain and legumes from CWD positive areas also. Which is not the case
We're hunting, not ranching 😉

KenLee

WKR
Its all linked together. Why pad lock your back door if front door is wide open with a giant welcome come on in sign.
Apparently since game animals are owned by the state and livestock generally are not, South Carolina isn't as worried about sheep and goats. Scrapie is a known disease for 300 years, so there's not the widespread fear of it. I'm clueless on plants spreading CWD, so I'll leave that debate to those smarter than me.

Apparently since game animals are owned by the state and livestock generally are not, South Carolina isn't as worried about sheep and goats. Scrapie is a known disease for 300 years, so there's not the widespread fear of it. I'm clueless on plants spreading CWD, so I'll leave that debate to those smarter than me.
CWD is scrapie’s. It wasnt owned by SC. Was a legally harvested deer from another state.

Last edited:
Washington you have to debone, not sure for Oregon, California you don’t have to debone.

Depends where the guy is planning to take the meat.

Debone and clean skull plate would be the conservative standard choice for the outfitter to avoid trouble.
California doesn't have to be deboned but u can't have the brain or spine. If you tell them you have any big game meat, they'll make you park and fill out this stupid form attesting to it being brain and spine free. However, they have jillions of cars passing thru. Like somebody said, as long as you don't have the antlers hanging out of your truck, they probably won't even talk to you. On the off chance they do, just say you don't have anything. It's not like their gonna strip search you.

Rich M

WKR
Nobody can be expected to do every nit-pick little nuance thing a state does if you roll through without stopping other than for fuel and fast food.

If MT is CWD spooked, what their precautions are will be okay in ither states...
Sometimes they target hunters, especially the last weekend of the season. I seen it in VT, NH, ME, GA, and FL. Any truck w hunting equipment gets pulled over and inspected - perfectly legal. They take anything that’s illegal like meat w bones…

Not worth the risk fir 20-30 minutes to bone the meat. You can risk it but aint worth the risk to me.

Erict

WKR
I don't see where one would be prohibited from taking "bone-in" quarters from Montana, through Wyoming, and finally into Colorado. "Bone-in" meaning the four quarters only.

Most states with CWD restrictions focus on brain, spinal cord, lymph glands, tonsils, eyes and spleen. Skull plates, skulls, hides, teeth, taxidermy mounts need to be free of these tissues. Some states go a step further by only allowing "deboned meat". It also matters if the transport is only in-state, passing through another state, or being imported (final destination) to another state.

The cwd-info website, may prove useful. Click on the state, then click on the "Regs" tab for that states info.

Good luck.

Sometimes they target hunters, especially the last weekend of the season. I seen it in VT, NH, ME, GA, and FL. Any truck w hunting equipment gets pulled over and inspected - perfectly legal. They take anything that’s illegal like meat w bones…

Not worth the risk fir 20-30 minutes to bone the meat. You can risk it but aint worth the risk to me.

Be pretty tough to really do that and make it stick. If the hunter lived in that state, and that was their final destination, yeah. If the state they were coming from said no to bones leaving, then yeah. But just passing through on I-80 headed home where bones leaving and bones returning is no big deal, that's a big Nope.

Rich M

WKR
Be pretty tough to really do that and make it stick. If the hunter lived in that state, and that was their final destination, yeah. If the state they were coming from said no to bones leaving, then yeah. But just passing through on I-80 headed home where bones leaving and bones returning is no big deal, that's a big Nope.
I agree the odds are slim of getting stopped if during the week and not at end of season.

However, if anyone loses their game meat over this rule, it is truly on them.

Jethro

WKR
I admit to not knowing the exact rules in every state between the west and PA, but we’ve brought home bone in. No brain or spine

IMG_2424.jpeg

some state have done full blown idiot

“Hunters Face Jail Time for Bringing Home a CWD-Infected Buck from Kansas”​

DNR here has gone CWD crazy....they think it's not here and clamping down on folks will keep it away, nevermind NC has positive tests less than 50 miles from the state line. I wish they would spend the money and test so they would find it...I dont think SC is the only state in the southeast that's doesn't have CWD.

Yoder

WKR
It's ok to have deer farms that are the biggest transmitter of CWD but God forbid you bring home an unclean skull to hang on the wall.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
It seems odd to me that all hunters won't want to step up and take simple precautions to try and curb the spread of CWD to areas that currently don't have it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I agree the odds are slim of getting stopped if during the week and not at end of season.

However, if anyone loses their game meat over this rule, it is truly on them.

Again, the only ones that have authority are the state of origination and the final destination of residency.

Nobody between MT and PA have a pot to piss in...