Daypack/meat hauler on a budget!

TheHammer

WKR
The MR pop up frames are capable for elk. My 28 has seen 2. I actually like it better than my pintler. Can be more organized with the same gear without worry to be modular setup. MR packs seem to fit me vs some of the others. I know budget is a concern but going around to different gear suppliers to get a few of them strapped on your back so you know what fits might be the first step. Because what you spend your budget 200$ on might not fit and make you miserable. So go into it with an idea of exactly what you need to fit your budget vs your budget trying to fit a need.

Another for the Mystery ranch that’s on sale from Gohunt. Save a little more for something better. I’ve done budget gear and it gets you by but I’ve always been left wanting more. IMO The pintler is a great option for daypacks.
You can find them used on the MR Facebook group as well as eBay. I got lucky and bought mine on a sweet Black ovis sale around New Years.

How far you packing? If you have a base camp and your only purpose for the pack is to haul elk out, the APLS Commander does the trick. Hell, just buy the frame and put your day gear in a dry bag strapped on the frame. You're only into it $100. You won't even notice the pack with day gear on it. I still take that frame to pack moose every year.

I'd personally go that route and save for a top tier pack in a year or two instead of buying something at the top of your budget and still wanting something better. My answer changes a bit if you're doing an actual backpack hunt.

I’ve seen the alps pack frame recommend a few times but I would suggest spending a little more. I have one and have hauled out meat twice with it. Uncomfortable with heavy loads both times and the second time I somehow broke whatever piece gives the hipbelt rigidity.
It does however do fine with awkward large loads so I still use it for hauling decoy bags and duck hunting gear occasionally

*zap*

WKR
If your talking budget you need to look at mil-surplus packs. They are all built very well and most will handle weight.

hunterjmj

WKR
Yeah, back in the day, we used to run around in the Chugach and Wrangells chasing Dall Sheep with these on our backs .....
This is what we used for years before my dad and I each got a long hunter. They worked and I didn't know any better. Packing meat really sucked but I just figured that's the way it was.

Yeah, back in the day, we used to run around in the Chugach and Wrangells chasing Dall Sheep with these on our backs .....

This is what we used for years before my dad and I each got a long hunter. They worked and I didn't know any better. Packing meat really sucked but I just figured that's the way it was.

Same here, it wasn’t very many years ago that I was still using a pack just like the green one on the right. I didn’t even know there was a better way. After I found out there was a better way it took me a long time to wrap my head around paying twice as much for a backpack as I spent on my first car.

wytx

WKR
Why not invest in a good day pack and then buy a cheaper pack frame to haul out quarters?
The cheap aluminum frames will work and Kelty frames will work as well to pack out quarters. Upgrade the hip belt and shoulder harness if needed.
No need for a $300 pack frame and daypack.

Kuiu has a 30% off sale on their packs currently. Love my 6000, great modular system. Hauled lots of elk with it, their frame can handle 100lbs+ no problem. Would avoid the Badlands, I had a 2200, sold it for a 2800 when I was first getting serious about backpack hunting. Paired them with an army surplus nylon pack frame. Framepack was not particularly comfortable past about 75lbs. The Badlands pack can handle about 50 before it starts to get really deformed. I've packed 2 elk with mine, both cows, it took a lot of trips. I use my 2800 very rarely, rather smash down my 6000 for a daypack, it packs flat on the frame. Also lighter. Used better quality pack will do you just fine, most people sell them when they have a ton of life left.

Also, check the REI outlet if you are a member. Plenty of backpacking packs can handle that kind of weight, I used a Dana Bombpack for years as a daypack/ hauling pack (can handle about 60-70 lbs), and probably find a used one for $100 if you look abit.