Day packs for elk hunting

MNman

FNG
What’s your favorite day pack? Sending my recently retired army sargent brother in law out west for his first ever elk hunt. the family has him set up with a guide and they recommended a gear list. We have most of it covered with ourwhitetail gear, except a good day pack. He will be archery hunting.

thanks!

Talk to the guide and figure out horseback or not and how much glassing. If I am in thick stuff and it is cool enough I can carry just a tenzing 1250 day pack...when I start carrying glass / tripod I switch over to of all things a osprey 38...yeah I know what the hell but when doing day hunts it is super light and I can carry out a front shoulder on my first load..it is not meant for weight lets be honest...but it is big enough for water, rain gear, puffy, tripod, small spotter, lunch and a jetboil. I've only had access to horses once from a friend and learned really quickly that horses and willows will dictate easy zip on and off rain pants or you will get soaked in the mornings. Gear to fix torn up sights from horses etc is something to think about.

KineKilla

WKR
I have a Tenzing TX15 that works great for day trips. I also have a Sitka Apex pack for the same purpose but I haven't used it yet.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Something 2000-2500 cubic inches should be good. I would point you to Badlands, Mystery Ranch, Slumberjack and Alpz for some options. These cover some durable packs that run from lower price to higher price.

He should ask if he would need to pack any meat, and if they have packs for that. More than likely, he'll just need something to carry his personal items, and lunch.

Jeremy

There are lighter packs but I love the Badlands 2200. Rides nice and high for horseback riding too. That’s important. Can pack elk quarters too.