Florida man going on OTC rifle elk hunt (prev. bowhunting elk)

hey everyone - I'm a 27 yr old outdoorsman living in Miami. I got into elk hunting the past two years and did two OTC Colorado archery elk hunts. (For background, grew up in the midwest doing southern IL deer shotgun season.)

I'm also taking my dad and brother in-law on a OTC rifle elk hunt for 1st season (October).

My dad was a mountaineer and my brother-in-law is an avid fly fisherman. I want them to experience elk hunting and I thought rifle + truck camping would be much easier then the backcountry archery we've done the previous years. I'm not worried about them hiking & camping.

My question is: Is the main hunting strategy difference between archery and rifle that you should spend most of your time glassing? Are there other differences that I should prioritize?

For reference, our over-generalized archery strategy was glassing, location bugleing, looking for sign (in triangles that had feed, bedding, and relative access to water).

Me and my hunting partner are going to do OTC archery in colorado in September as well, so we'll have some boot-on-the-ground insight to a few specific areas that we could come back to for rifle. (Or cross off the list if they're not good)

Any advice on the rifle strategy would be greatly appreciated!

And because it'll probably come up - I'm planning on getting a mossberg patriot .308. I know it's a budget gun but figured i should start small and have some success before going for nicer gear. There's a nice 300 yard range in Palm Beach that I'll be getting dialed in on.

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
I would keep a similar strategy for 1st season. But after shots are fired 1st day they will probably shut up and go into hell holes. I'd have elk located prior to opener and be on them first thing.

Also I don't remember ever seeing otc 1st season rifle elk.

Also i don't think you can do otc archery and rifle. Unless the archery is an otc anterless only or some anterless rifle draws.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I would keep a similar strategy for 1st season. But after shots are fired 1st day they will probably shut up and go into hell holes. I'd have elk located prior to opener and be on them first thing.

Also i don't think you can do otc archery and rifle. Unless the archery is an otc anterless only or some anterless rifle draws.

⬆️ This. All of it.

OP
mia-elk-chaser

Great insight Dave - thank you! You're right about not being able to hunt OTC archery and rifle on the same tag. I had this mistaken = appreciate the knowledge.

Do recommend 2nd and 3rd season then for OTC rifle?

enbhunts

FNG
Hunted otc mostly for about 10 years in CO. Biggest thing to deal with by far is the pressure. Obviously you've probably seen some of this in Archery as well, and now CPW is making changes to otc.

3rd season in my opinion is a better overall season. More likely to get weather and have it move elk around. But in either season you'll have immense pressure.

You have to figure out what the pressure does to the elk, where do they go when they are pressured? Bulls will most likely be by themselves or in a bachelor group. Some smaller ones with cows.

I'd leave the tube at home and bring a cow call.
Use the pressure to your advantage. CO otc is mostly likely gonna be gone or capped in the next three years. Glad there's not a unit number yet on this thread lol

OP
mia-elk-chaser
Hunted otc mostly for about 10 years in CO. Biggest thing to deal with by far is the pressure. Obviously you've probably seen some of this in Archery as well, and now CPW is making changes to otc.

3rd season in my opinion is a better overall season. More likely to get weather and have it move elk around. But in either season you'll have immense pressure.

You have to figure out what the pressure does to the elk, where do they go when they are pressured? Bulls will most likely be by themselves or in a bachelor group. Some smaller ones with cows.

I'd leave the tube at home and bring a cow call.
Use the pressure to your advantage. CO otc is mostly likely gonna be gone or capped in the next three years. Glad there's not a unit number yet on this thread lol
Great stuff - thank you @enbhunts ! You have me really second guessing 1st season rifle...

I would guess there's more visibility for glassing too because more trees have dropped their leaves. Just thinking out loud here.

enbhunts

FNG
Great stuff - thank you @enbhunts ! You have me really second guessing 1st season rifle...

I would guess there's more visibility for glassing too because more trees have dropped their leaves. Just thinking out loud here.
I guess I should clarify-between 2nd and 3rd season I'd almost always pick 2nd. 1st is a different hunt and not otc ; sometimes you could end up in a low pref point unit and it's just like otc in terms of pressure.

enbhunts

FNG
I guess I should clarify-between 2nd and 3rd season I'd almost always pick 2nd. 1st is a different hunt and not otc ; sometimes you could end up in a low pref point unit and it's just like otc in terms of pressure.
Sorry, 3rd, Id always pick 3rd. I've had too much caffeine today

Laramie

WKR
Your chances of success are low in either 2nd or 3rd. Focus on the experience and try to enjoy the time on the mountain. If one of the three of you shoot an elk, you will be well ahead of the averages. That said, it can be a great time if you don't get too caught up in the massive pressure.

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
Great insight Dave - thank you! You're right about not being able to hunt OTC archery and rifle on the same tag. I had this mistaken = appreciate the knowledge.

Do recommend 2nd and 3rd season then for OTC rifle?
No worries. You can in many WY units, maybe that's where you heard it. Sorry I've never hunted 2nd or 3rd. Based on timing I would prefer 1st season. All the rifle seasons will get a ton of pressure and you notice it because of shorter seasons. Archery is at least spread out over a month

OP
mia-elk-chaser
Hey y'all just following up on this thread as OP.

I got lucky and pulled a 1st season rifle limited draw tag for GMUs 71, 72. 74, 711. Based on my research, I'm really leaning towards GMU 71 (Dolores County outside of Telluride & Cortez). It seems like high hunting pressure but also highest success rates comparative to the other GMUs. The area is managed for opportunity not trophies so we have our expectations set there. Filling the freezer is the goal we don't need a trophy.

My dad and brother-in-law have been training hard and are fired up for their first hunt!

I spent some $$$ and bought a nice 20x60-85 spotting scope and new 12x50 binos. I'm really excited (and mentally prepared) for glassing a majority of the hunt. We all have good high powered binos and tripods plus the new spotting scope.

This is my first rifle hunt so I bought a used Savage 110 .308. Shooting Hornady 176 grain rounds. There's a really nice FWC operated rifle range in Palm Beach I've been going to that has a 300 yd range. I'm training to get dialed in and confident up to 300 yds there.

The research and e-scouting I've done has been primarily focused on finding big south facing ridge lines that we can get up to and glass north facing slopes. I'm also thinking about the hunting pressure from trail systems and drop camps and then thinking where would the elk flee to under that pressure. It seems that area has a big outfitter called Circle K that dominates the area. It's been tough to pin point where they hunt but I think after enough forum research I have a general idea of the drainages they normally set up in. Trying to stay away from that to avoid pressure.

Anyways - just sharing an update for fun and if you have any other advice on a first rifle hunt and any other strategies we should consider, I'd appreciate it!

Happy September good luck out there everyone.

CRJR45

WKR
Hey y'all just following up on this thread as OP.

I got lucky and pulled a 1st season rifle limited draw tag for GMUs 71, 72. 74, 711. Based on my research, I'm really leaning towards GMU 71 (Dolores County outside of Telluride & Cortez). It seems like high hunting pressure but also highest success rates comparative to the other GMUs. The area is managed for opportunity not trophies so we have our expectations set there. Filling the freezer is the goal we don't need a trophy.

My dad and brother-in-law have been training hard and are fired up for their first hunt!

I spent some $$$ and bought a nice 20x60-85 spotting scope and new 12x50 binos. I'm really excited (and mentally prepared) for glassing a majority of the hunt. We all have good high powered binos and tripods plus the new spotting scope.

This is my first rifle hunt so I bought a used Savage 110 .308. Shooting Hornady 176 grain rounds. There's a really nice FWC operated rifle range in Palm Beach I've been going to that has a 300 yd range. I'm training to get dialed in and confident up to 300 yds there.

The research and e-scouting I've done has been primarily focused on finding big south facing ridge lines that we can get up to and glass north facing slopes. I'm also thinking about the hunting pressure from trail systems and drop camps and then thinking where would the elk flee to under that pressure. It seems that area has a big outfitter called Circle K that dominates the area. It's been tough to pin point where they hunt but I think after enough forum research I have a general idea of the drainages they normally set up in. Trying to stay away from that to avoid pressure.

Anyways - just sharing an update for fun and if you have any other advice on a first rifle hunt and any other strategies we should consider, I'd appreciate it!

Happy September good luck out there everyone.
What a coincidence , I live in Jensen Beach and will be hunting the same area , but second rifle OTC with a friend . Good luck , hope you guys get in them .