Danner Pronghorn

I have owned Danner Pronghorns for the last 5 years. I love them and use them above timberline early season as well as lower country late season. I need a new pair of boots. My question is should I buy a pair of Cripsi, Kennetrek or just stick with what I like. Are the other two that much better than Danners?

Ozz08

WKR
I had pronghorns years ago when they were made in the USA. They were great boots. Never leaked, were comfy as heck, and held up great to abuse. When they finally wore out I decided to buy another pair and noticed they didn't say made in the USA on the tongue anymore. Oh well they felt the same so I bought them. First trip 10 mins into a pheasant hunt they leaked. Got back to town and exchanged them. Second pair didn't leak right away but during a dear hunt in the sierras in some pretty tough country they just didn't hold up they leaked on a creek crossing and the soles started to separate. On top of that they were killing my feet something the u.s. made pronghorns never did. I will never buy a pair of pronghorns for mtn. Hunting again. The Chinese danner stuff is crap and I've learned there is a reason they are called pronghorns and not "bighorns". They are made for where the antelope play not the mountains. I'd bet that if your danners are 5-6 years old you may have got lucky and got a USA made pair.

NWHunter

FNG
Exactly what Ozz08 said. I had a pair of US made pronghorns that I loved. Super comfortable and they held up great. My wife bought me a new pair for my birthday and I didn't even bother wearing them. Just looking at the new one and seeing the changes of the Chinese made stuff I was out. The whole sole attached different and you could see there were going to be issues. I was going to go with a set of Lowa's but after talking with the sales guy ended up going with a pair of zamberlan's. So far they're holding up great. We'll see how the long term wear and durability is. If they don't hold up I think I'll try a pair of the Meindl's

Rizzy

WKR
If your planning on doing more mountain hunting and hunting later in the season, then look into better quality boots. In my limited experience the higher end boots don't always last much longer than the Danners, but they are more comfortable and reliable. This becomes important when you start going in deeper and hunting later in the season.

wapitibob

WKR
My pronghorns always leaked. I did buy a new pair of their "re designed" pronghorns on their half price sale last year. Haven't had them in the woods but they are built differently. Seem a little bit stouter and the boot volume is noticeably larger. Also, the 6" version I bought is really an 8" boot because of the way they measure it.

cmeier117

WKR
I can tell you that yes... yes they are better. I have a pair of Crispi Idaho's and Wild's which are great so far. I would also look and the alaskans made by hanwag from Lathrop and Sons. My next boot I try will be a hanwag boot.

JNDEER

WKR
Never had the USA brand, but got the newer brand last year. I put a lot of miles in CA during the wet season chaseing pigs and deer. As long as I kept the treatment on the external of the boot they never leaked and were just fine hiking up and down the hills.

Like NWH said - the better more expensive brands will probably not last longer, but they could be more comfortable while you have them. Some people find those big boots super nice and others do not. I have a 13 size foot and most of the expensive brands did not fit my feet to well.

OP
In God We Trust
Thanks guys. I Pack in 4+ miles during early seasons and put 60+ miles on my Danners last year. They never did leak and are comfortable, that being said boots are your most important back country tool and if I can upgrade I will. I appreciate your input. I will look at some different boots to order. I need a pair that I can use to hunt in from August to November in Colorado.

Last edited:

cmeier117

WKR
If your Pronghorns did that well for you for that long I would say try and find the same model again. Sounded like they did well for you!

ridgefire

WKR
my experiences with the pronghorns are that if you look at water while wearing them your feet are going to be wet and the leather will be saturated for days even if you treat them with obenaufs. i will def not buy another pair. much better putting your money towards a quality pair of boots like the meindls imo. a good pair of boot will hold up much longer and give you alot more ankle support than the pronghorns.

cmeier117

WKR
Just went on a scouting trip this weekend. Long story short, we ran into a lot of snow and cut the trip short. I was wearing the Crispi Idaho's and my dad and father in-law were wearing pronghorns. Both of their feet stayed dry until the very end. 14+ hours in snow. So they did okay, but the leather was totally saturated and soaked to the goretex lining. Their are a difference in European or American made boots and China boots.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man so far I've put quite a few of miles on my Pronghorns & haven't had any issues yet. I am getting a little nervous though!

phil

FNG
Brocka, mine are 3yrs. old and still keep my feet dry. I like them because they are the lightest insulated boot out there. phil

I like Danners for just regular hiking. I am on my 4th pair. I have only paid for 1 pair. The gortex fades on them after a few uses and my feet get wet. So, I package them up and send them back for 11$ with a return slip. One week later, I have a brand new pair waiting for me to abuse some more. Might want to look into that and just return them to Danner for a new pair...

katdaddy2013

Lil-Rokslider
Had some issues with the Danner imports I got from Cabelas's. Returned them, bought some Sasslongs, and I have'nt looked back.

Randle

WKR
I went thru 3 pair of Pronghorns. They would leak the 2nd year I had them , and always part way thru my week long elk hunt.
I returned them and would get a new pair, great return policy but that didnt help In the Idaho Mts with wet feet.
They finally let me upgrade to The full Curl at no charge.
They are holding up and have much better traction, I did not care for the soles on the pronghorns but I did like the comfort of the boot.

weaver

WKR
Never had pronghorns but i really like my crispi kanadas. They are on camofire all the time for a great price.

Shrek

WKR
I have had three pairs of pronghorns and they all leaked. I'm not even putting them through much down in south Georgia and north Florida and they don't make it a season. The second pair leaked from new. I test my boots by filling a plastic tub with enough water to cover my foot and the left boot instantly filled. I just got some hanwags and they are the best boot I have ever worn. Stiff boot though but as I get used to the stiffness I like them more and more.

Fyi , I only paid for one pair. The second pair was a gift and the third were warranty of the second. Just so you guys don't think I'm a slow learner !

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
They don't fit me right for mountain hunting. None of American company boots do. Toe box is way to big and there isn't enough support in the foot bed. The whole bottom of my foot turns into a hot spot in this type of boot. Trying to side hill across steep stuff they almost twist off of my foot. They are comfortable when on flat ground and moderate hills but won't even work for me in the Black Hills of SD.

I have both Asolo 200 GX and Hanwag Alaskans. So far have only used the Asolos in the mountains and they provide very good support but took about 100 miles, literally, to get broken in. The Hanwag's are more comfortable but haven't worn them other than around the yard. I'm worried that my foot is going to move in them too much just based on how they fit.