Custom Tikka T3X Builds

OP
Eagle

Eagle

WKR
I used all Mountain Tactical parts on both my Tikkas and I am happy with it. My .308 weighs 7#5oz with a Leupold vx3HD 3.5x10x40 empty mag and shoots 1/2" groups with factory Federal Barnes TSX 165 and my 7mmRM weights 8#7oz with a Leupold vx5HD 3x15x44 empty mag and shoots 5/8" groups with Federal Barnes TSX 160. My .308 we pretty dang light. I reach for it most of the time.
Nice! I’ve got a T3x superlite 6.5cr that with scope (vx3i 4-14x44) and mag weighs 6#8oz. I’m hoping each of these rifles will come in right at 7 all up.

2-Stix

WKR
Nice! I’ve got a T3x superlite 6.5cr that with scope (vx3i 4-14x44) and mag weighs 6#8oz. I’m hoping each of these rifles will come in right at 7 all up.
Man that's a REALY lite rifle! Awesome!

OP
Eagle

Eagle

WKR
Man that's a REALY lite rifle! Awesome!
The wildcat stocks really help trim the weight off these tikka's. If I had all the various modifications I've got listed for the two I'm having built, aside from the barrel changes, the 6.5cr would be closer to 6 pounds.

2-Stix

WKR
The wildcat stocks really help trim the weight off these tikka's. If I had all the various modifications I've got listed for the two I'm having built, aside from the barrel changes, the 6.5cr would be closer to 6 pounds.
Ya I looked into them and figured out that was how you did it. Good action!

If you still have to have a 28 nos, It's not a huge deal to get 3.6 out of a Tikka. AICS bottom metal for 3.715 mags and few minor action modifications and you'll be in business.

Last edited:

JPGreg

Lil-Rokslider
E341D927-DDC5-4126-A1A6-61934FCF4B99.jpeg
Just got mine in the mail, here’s what it weighs filled and sanded
Doing another build with a 7mm-08 Tikka T3X

Last edited:

Wrongside

WKR
Ive been considering a similar plan, with a 7PRC Tikka build. Essentially an exact copy of my Tikka Wildcat 6.5CM. It’s one of my all time favorite rifles.

98F1BF1C-3A2D-4BE3-8527-A9AE2017BD93.jpegBut apparently the 7PRC isn’t a great fit in the T3x action, due to OAL limitations? Look forward to your finished build and your thoughts once you’ve used it a bit.

I currently have two Tikka T3X actions with a smith, one magnum, one standard, and he'll be building a 7 PRC and 6.5-284 off the actions. I plan to make these guns clones of one another so that I can hopefully transition back and forth seamlessly between them.

lak2004

WKR
Ive been considering a similar plan, with a 7PRC Tikka build. Essentially an exact copy of my Tikka Wildcat 6.5CM. It’s one of my all time favorite rifles.

View attachment 545224But apparently the 7PRC isn’t a great fit in the T3x action, due to OAL limitations? Look forward to your finished build and your thoughts once you’ve used it a bit.
I've been thinking similarly. Torn between a build or just buying a seekins havak element in 7prc and call it good

Some great setups and pics. More pics please!

Wrongside

WKR
Yeah. If I didn’t shoot LH, I’d just buy over the counter options. The feedback on the Seekins rifles seems to be very positive.
I've been thinking similarly. Torn between a build or just buying a seekins havak element in 7prc and call it good

WKR
6.5-284 is a solid choice. I've found that cartridge and its twin are quite light recoiling in 7 pound all up rigs. And very effective on game. Curious to see the Op's final build pics.

Kind of mulling around a lefty 7x64 for some reason.

If weight is such a concern why choose a 24” barrel? Why not shorter? Could save a few oz right there.

Nice sticks! I love lightweight rifles but have never been able to crack the sub 7.5 sub range , all in

All in for me means on the ground hunting weight … so Rifle, scope, mount , rings, bottom metal, magazine if equipped ,bipod or not, sling, and rifle full of ammunition (3 to 5 rounds typically)

Love to see some examples of lightweight rifles on the scale

Not calling BS but I’m having trouble wrapping my mind around a 6.5 to 7ish pound all hunting rifle

Moreover, I’m keen to hear the cost to build , put together the same

Best

OP
Eagle

Eagle

WKR
Nice sticks! I love lightweight rifles but have never been able to crack the sub 7.5 sub range , all in

All in for me means on the ground hunting weight … so Rifle, scope, mount , rings, bottom metal, magazine if equipped ,bipod or not, sling, and rifle full of ammunition (3 to 5 rounds typically)

Love to see some examples of lightweight rifles on the scale

Not calling BS but I’m having trouble wrapping my mind around a 6.5 to 7ish pound all hunting rifle

Moreover, I’m keen to hear the cost to build , put together the same

Best
I don't use a bipod or sling, so all up, ammunition in the standard tikka mag and all, my 6.5cm tikka t3x is either 6.5 or 6.7; I'll have to get it on a scale to confirm, but it's certainly attainable.